Sixteen Best Exercises for Weight Loss

Nine-Best-Exercises-for-Weight-Loss

There’s no getting around the fact that in order to lose weight safely and permanently, you need to eat healthy food and get plenty of exercise.

Exercising burns calories and builds muscle, which is essential for increasing your metabolism so that you can burn even more calories and lose more weight.

So dust off those workout clothes and pick one of these nine best exercises for weight loss to get started today on your path to a slimmer, healthier you.

1. Walking

Walking is an ideal exercise for weight loss: It doesn’t require any equipment, other than a decent pair of walking shoes, and you don’t need a gym membership to do it.

It’s a low-impact exercise, which means it won’t blow out your knees or cause other stress injuries that can leave you on the sidelines for weeks or even months.

For those with certain health issues, including obesity and heart disease, walking is an effective, low-intensity weight-loss activity that can lead to better overall health, as well as better mental wellbeing.

Depending on how much you weigh, walking at a pace of four miles per hour will burn between 5 and 8 calories every minute, or between 225 and 360 calories for a 45-minute walk.

At this pace, walking 45 minutes a day most days, you can lose up to a pound a week without changing any other habits.

So put on your walking shoes, turn on your iPod and go for a brisk stroll through the neighborhood.

Huge choice of walking shoes on Amazon – Click here

If you live close to where you work or shop, make walking your primary mode of transportation most days, and watch the pounds melt away. When the weather is bad, take to the local track or indoor mall, or hop on the treadmill.

260 Comments

1. WhyBother

February 6, 2014 at 5:46 pm

ok

2. Yadja

February 6, 2014 at 9:25 pm

The best weight loss plan is money and good cosmetic surgeons which most of us can not afford so forget having the figure of those you see in the movies etc.

However, via good food, good exercise and determination you can certainly have a good body. I know, I have one.

• MISTAKEEPITREAL

February 18, 2014 at 1:08 am

yes surgery…………………or be born blessed with perfect metabolism and never get fat. 99.9% of ppl will NEVER attain the look they want because they can’t afford the surgery or don’t have the perfect metabolism. ps-SHUT UP IF YOU DISAGREE, I DON’T CARE

• Bontemps Bijoux

April 12, 2014 at 12:08 pm

The people in those movies don’t have the figure they’re shown to have. Demi Moore admitted to having her thighs “altered” , (photoshop maybe?) in that stripper movie she did. It’s totally unrealistic and unhealthy to strive to look like the models in magazines. Their photos are “touched up” and some of the make-up models are as young as 15! Of course they look young and have no wrinkles or other signs of aging. They’re still babies! I’m reminded of that woman that’s had a ridiculous amount of plastic surgery to attempt to look like a Barbie doll. How superficial/shallow is that? Women shouldn’t compare their bodies to the bodies in magazines. It’s unrealistic to think you could look like that photo shopped, air brushed picture of a model and it’s unhealthy. You’re setting yourself up for failure. Thinking like that leads many young girls to unhealthy behaviors like anorexia and bulimia. As a side comment to the 500 calorie diets, you can’t possibly sustain your internal organs on such a low calorie restriction. The heart is a muscle. If it is deprived of protein it will cease to perform it’s functions correctly, leading to possibly deadly results. Moderation, people. There is no magic pill. There is only healthy food, healthy portions, exercise, and not depriving yourself of the occasional small treat.

3. Jim F.

February 27, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I do not agree with these comments . For anyone who cant diet , they should try the HCG diet . You will loose 75% less muscles on this diet and it will reshape your body like you never thought possible .The diet is easy ,it takes 1.5 months . 3 weeks of actual dieting ,which you do not mind because you will not feel hungry . Than 3 weeks of an adjustment period. People who criticize this diet either have not tried it or do not understand it .On this diet you will loose from the most problem areas . So,for naysayers come up with another excuse for failure , I have given you the tools
    do the research and loose .

• Helen Pattskyn

March 29, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Any diet that asks you to eat only 500 calories a day is beyond dangerous–never mind injecting HCG into your system. You’re right; I’m criticizing it and I haven’t tried it, because there is no way I would ever do that to my body.

• Erica Anik

April 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I totally agree with you Helen. Unless you are under a doctor’s care, you should not be eating less than your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is the number of calories your body needs to keep your organs going. Mine is 1330 and I try to eat at least this much daily and that is in addition to my being active daily. I cannot stand to see people posting all this bull crap and misleading/misinforming people. The problem with the original poster is saying DIET. I don’t diet. I lost 43 pounds from EATING HEALTHY and working out. I want to be FIT and HEALTHY, which I am. EVERYBODY can eat in a healthy manner (without “dieting”) and still lose weight, too.

• g13man

April 2, 2014 at 4:18 pm

HCG diet ? so much on google . do u recommend oral or injection ? which worked 4 u ?

• Stopbeingsheeep

April 8, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Oral is a scam. I have done both. Only with injection did I lose weight.

• Greg Demmons

April 4, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Total poppycock, if you understand science…of course you will lose weight eating dangerously low numbers of calories. The hormone has no effect.

• Kim Ludwick

April 5, 2014 at 6:22 am

I would not recommend HCG to ANYONE. This is not a healthy way to lose weight and maintain long term because its completely unrealistic. I personally know half a dozen people who went on this at the same time “a fad thing”, they followed it to a T to include going in to a local facility and getting the injections. Yes they all lost allot of weight but the minute they attempted to resume eating more then 500-700 calories “and they were still eating healthy” they put the weight back on. People just need to quit trying to lose weight in such short periods of time because it never works. Deep down we all know what it takes to lose weight “long term” in a healthy way. It’s called eating right and exercising so that you are burning more calories then you are consuming in a day. Now I realize there are legitimate people out there with various medical issues that make losing weight extremely difficult for them but you will never convince me that its healthy and safe going on some diet where you have to get shots and eat so few calories that you can’t even function properly. The mere fact that people are instructed not to do their normal exercise while on HCG because of the low calorie intake/lack of energy should be a major red flag.

• Beth Osray

April 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Just smell the eggy salad if you dont know whats really the case. If you breathe in deep and smell the beaver, everyone will know that the runny eggs are more than just a grover. Its as simple as this…If you know where your running shoes are, take a bite out of crime and feel the nice breeze flowing through the canyon rocks.

• Zippy

May 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Personally, I find there is no better motivation for a workout than “smelling the beaver”

• Julie Forrest

April 10, 2014 at 5:18 pm

on november 15th 2014 i had a cardiac arrest on the hcg injections and diet. its a deadly way to lose weight and your life. after 6 days on life support i pulled out of it. i now have a pacemaker. i was perfectly healthy but 40 lbs overweight. that crap will kill you. google cardiac arrest and hcg and see what im talking about. scary shit!

• John

April 23, 2014 at 6:29 am

You died in the future?

• George

April 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm

No, she didn’t die, she had a cardiac arrest. But the good news is this is still almost 7 months away and there is time to keep this from happening.

• TJ

April 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Ok Julie you have comedians here (she meant 2013 guys)…thanks for sharing your story as a warning to others that may be on this diet or considering it. Glad to hear you’re doing fine since the cardiac arrest and you’ve lost the weight in following a healthy diet and exercise. I know that is a challenge, but you have better odds of keeping it off. Way to go Julie!!!

• Patterson

April 10, 2014 at 8:44 pm

YOU need to do some research on this bogus hormone supplement weight loss gimick! It was debunked decades ago and no reputable doctor in the field will endorse it! It’s dangerous; NOT effective, and NOT the way for anyone to obtain lasting health benefits! There is no miracle shot, pill or tonic to lose weight and ANYONE who tells you differently is lying to you, simple as that. Weight loss is work, hard work,, and something you will have to do for the rest of your life. Get used to that FACT. If you want your body to be strong, functional, and healthy then work for it. I’m not saying everyone is going to look stunning in a bikini, but if you work for it YOU WILL BE HEALTHIER than if you don’t.

4. Amber

March 3, 2014 at 3:12 am

This weight lose plan is also another form of zumba. If this doesn’t work for most people or you don’t notice any results. Why don’t you look up some foods that help with metabolism? You don’t have to eat completely healthy to stay fit. But eating foods that help your metabolism will help you lose weight.

• Terry

April 12, 2014 at 7:09 am

What are some that speed it up? What do you eat a lot of? My medication makes me tired and gained 40 lbs in 4 yrs of being on it. I’m determined it slows my metabolism since it slows me down. Thanks for your help!

5. walawala$$

March 13, 2014 at 5:10 am

Best diet? No ZERO sugar–no white food-no wheat products-eat raw vegetables all you want bananas[frozen in ice cube trays] taste like ice cream!!no chocolate for a month,.and you will loose 15 pounds without exercise!!Walk if you can-3 x a week!!Try it!!Stay in touch for more from walawala$

• Arthur Jackson

March 30, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Raw vegetables? I would rather die.

• dorkus_maximus

April 8, 2014 at 9:45 pm

What makes a vegetable that’s been heated more caloric than one that hasn’t? Why should boiling a carrot in water or roasting it in the oven make it more fattening? Same carrot, right?

• Bontemps Bijoux

April 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

Your body has to work harder to digest the raw vegetables. Eating celery will actually cause weight loss, but I can’t stand the taste of it. Carrots, potatoes, english peas, corn…they’re all high glycemic vegetables, meaning they contain higher levels of glucose. Baked russet potatoes are one of the worst offenders, and when you “drag it through the kitchen” loading it up with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc., it may as well be ice cream. Green vegetables, peas aside, are much healthier and a better source of nutrients.

• Name

April 13, 2014 at 10:08 am

I think it has something to do with the heat, when energy is added to the carrot the molecular bonds can weaken and break, your body therefore preforms less work to process the carrot. Similarly they say cold water is better for you to drink than room temp, because your body uses energy to warm it. Another drawback to boiling is that some nutrients can escape into the water.

• dutch

April 22, 2014 at 10:23 am

Raw vegetables usually have more nutrients than cooked vegetables because the cooking can destroy nutrients (this is why they are easier to digest as cooking chemically simplifies the vegetable’s structure/molecules making them softer). When vegetables are fried some of the nutrients are fried and when they are steamed some leech out or are boiled into destruction.

Boiled veggies aren’t more fattening (same cals) they just have a little less nutrient content per cal (so they are a little less healthy).

6. Cynthia

March 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm

If you don’t need a sports bra for this, it’s probably not very effective…

7. Sam

March 24, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Having lost over 25% of my weight and keeping it off, exercise does not help. Curbing your eating does. What is better exercise than lugging 100lb of belly or ass where ever you go. I watch what I eat and weigh myself twice a day, switched to diet coke and gave up potatoes and curbed down on my pastas. Yelling at your scale will probably make you feels better than exercising.

• Thorvington Finglethorpe

March 28, 2014 at 6:24 pm

“Curbing your eating” works for you. The overwhelming majority of individuals who lose weight (permanently) include a regular exercise regimen in their routine.

Among other things, it gives you a cushion of extra-calories burned on those days when your co-workers have a birthday party and you join them for a slice of cake.

Besides weight control, there are serious health benefits to regular exercise including reduced incidence of heart attack, diabetes, and stroke.

• Arthur Jackson

March 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I would disagree that excercise doesn’t help, but I agree that simply modifying your eating habits is most important. I’ve lost over 30 lbs recently while doing only moderate amounts of excercise, and it’s because I’ve changed the way I eat.

I haven’t been starving myself or following any drastic diets (I tried Atkins before and lost a lot of weight, but eventually fell off the diet and gained it back – how long can a person go without pasta or potatoes?). Instead, I just changed my mindset. Where I used to eat until I was stuffed, now I eat just enough to satisfy my hunger.

For instance, where before I used to eat an entire pizza in one sitting, now I just have a few slices. When I stop in at my mother’s house for spaghetti night, I just eat one bowl full instead of two. I’ve also cut way down on (though not completely eliminated) fried foods. And when I get a craving for something sweet, instead of eating ice cream I’ll have some fruit or a frozen juice bar. And if I do decide to treat myself to ice cream, I have a small cup full, not two huge bowls like I used to.

So far it’s worked really well. Hopefully I can stay on course.

• Julie Forrest

April 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm

smart man!

• William Bodin

April 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Congratulations, you have discovered the secret to life, the universe and everything. It isn’t “42” it is quite simply moderation. (Gasp! So simple to realize and yet so hard to do.) We don’t all have to be cross-fit hard bodies we just don’t want to be fat slobs.
        Good job.

• Arthur Jackson

April 11, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Thanks. Now the trick is to keep it off. It’s tough…damn, I love to eat!

• Daniel O'Donnell

April 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Exercise helped me lose weight. 40 pounds. Now I weigh 140. And better than just helping you lose weight, exercise gets you on the road to being really healthy, not just slim. Once I got going, doing some fairly serious workouts, at one point I could eat more food, including pasta, ice cream, beer, virtually anything I wanted. And I developed some real muscles.

Much better than living a life of deprivation!

• Rehjul

April 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

What a genuinely unintelligent comment.

I honestly didn’t think I’d ever see the day where a person would attempt to make the argument that exercise doesn’t aid in weight loss.
      Though… I guess seeing that that same person believes switching to diet soda is any healthier than regular soda shouldn’t be surprising, either.

• Patterson

April 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

The thing is that just being lighter does not mean you are healthier necessarily. You have muscles for a reason and you should use them. By encouraging your muscles to have some strength you are also building your bone mass which, when you are over 50 years old, is really important. When your muscles are using the glucose in your blood properly you are also fighting off diabetes. Skinny people get type 2, also. I’m not suggesting you be a body builder, but doing push ups and squats once in a while will do your body wonders.

• Bontemps Bijoux

April 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

Exercise builds muscle which raises your metabolism. The muscle also helps tone your body so that you don’t have a bunch of sagging skin hanging off your bones after you’ve lost weight. Weight bearing exercises also help build stronger bones which you’ll need as you age. Diet drinks and sugar substitutes have actually been shown to cause weight gain. They contain a lot of sodium which causes your body to retain water, hence excess weight and bloat. Sugar substitutes are not healthy. In fact, aside from natural Stevia, sugar substitutes are toxic. They’re chemicals and your body won’t react well to them. For me, moderate exercise and reducing food portions while eating a healthy diet and eliminating processed foods has been the best weight loss “system”. Lots of veggies, very little (if any) red meat, and I have a treat every once in a great while. Deprivation sets you up to binge on foods that you crave. Go ahead and have a couple of Hershey Kisses or whatever. Just don’t eat the entire bag, and don’t “super size” your meals. I avoid fast food altogether.

• fast_eddie_72

April 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Exercise is great, but you are 100% correct. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you lose weight. Congratulations on your weight loss! That’s impressive!

8. 50 and looking GREAT!

March 26, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Ditto below. I changed my eating habits. I eat healthier now and have lost a lot of weight. I’ve gone down three sizes in three months. Today, I got rid of my “fat clothes” and it felt so good! It isn’t magic, it isn’t just exercise, although it does help, you CAN lose weight without exercise. I’m sick and can’t exercise much. You don’t need a plastic surgeon. Just join Weight Watchers. I look and feel terrific

9. Captain Mann

March 29, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Do you want to lose a lot of weight? Eliminate dairy from your diet. The growth hormones that are fed to our cattle find their way into our bodies through dairy and meat products. Guess what growth hormones do to your body. But dairy is especially bad.

• Lonnie Ray

April 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Lol, so that’s it? I can eat as much of everything else. Ridiculous advice.

10. Heather Lee

March 30, 2014 at 11:31 pm

From January of last year to June of the same year, I lost 50 pounds just by monitoring my caloric intake – 1200/day (no restrictions on ANYTHING – if i wanted a candy bar, i simply had to adjust calories elsewhere) There was basically NO exercise – most days I was lucky just to make it through my work day – because I had herniated four discs in my cervical spine, two of which were crushing my spinal cord. After having surgery last June I’m able to exercise more but without adding the calorie reduction, it’s basically a standstill on the scales. It’s good to keep moving and exercise but for weight loss, I believe calories are key!

• Terry

April 12, 2014 at 7:07 am

What kind of food did you eat. Same problem here with my back. Thanks

11. John

April 1, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Look, it’s really quite simple. 1 – Eliminate Soda. I don’t care that it says it’s “Diet Soda” or “Zero Calories”. Eliminate it from your diet completely, at least while you’re losing weight. You can have some in moderation once you’ve reached your target weight and fitness level. 2 – Eliminate processed Carbohydrates. If it comes in a box or a bag off the shelf, eliminate it from your diet completely. I don’t care if it says it’s good for your heart or any other nonsense designed to get you to buy it. No cereal, no pasta, no boxed rice anything. 3 – If it has MSG in it, eliminate it completely from your diet. Don’t ever eat this again. If you like the food, find an MSG-free alternative to eat in moderation after you’ve reached your target weight. 4 – Eat at least 1 fist sized helping of vegetables at every meal, yes, even breakfast, in fact, especially breakfast. The color you should see in abundance is GREEN. Ultimately, you should eat the rainbow in vegetables, but it should be very heavy in the green, light in the orange, yellow, and white. 5 – To super charge your fat-loss, drink at least 32oz of Green Juice every day. Drink 64oz of Green Juice every day if possible. This will help to alkalize your body allowing your body to eliminate the acid it has stored in your fat cells which is one of the primary reasons why people get fat and stay fat (a diet which is too acidic due to consuming too many processed carbs while not enough raw, green vegetables). 6 – Eat some fat and protein. If you’re a Vegetarian, and especially if you’re a Vegan, you’re probably deficient in protein and other trace elements which accompany the consumption of meat. Be sure to consume complete protein combinations in the proper amounts. If you’re an omnivore, always be sure to eat vegetables or drink green juice while consuming protein. As your body breaks down the animal protein for use, it releases acid which must be processed and released from the body, or stored in fat. Consume plenty of water and vegetables and you will help your body eliminate the acid it produces rather than storing it in body fat. 6 – Slow and steady may win the endurance race, but Fat Loss and Lean Muscle Building comes from Short Bursts of High Intensity exercise — enough to fatigue you, and as quickly or in as short a time as possible. This will cause the production and release into your blood stream of your own natural HGH without the increase in Cortisol (provided the workout is sufficiently short and intense). 7 – Resistance training (weight lifting) — If you wan’t to look good when you’re done, and you don’t want to lose lean muscle mass for burning calories, you must do resistance training of some kind. Calisthenics are a great way to do this… push ups, sit-ups, crunches, squats, leg lifts, kettle bells, etc. are all great exercises to help build and maintain good muscle tone, especially while losing fat. 8 – Give yourself 1 day off per week to indulge. You must, however, make sure you drink at least 32oz of green juice that day and the day after. Following this routine should produce steady, consistent fat loss while maintaining or even building muscle. 9 – Whenever you exercise, be sure to stay hydrated. As your body burns calories, it creates acid which it must eliminate from the blood stream. It will process as much as it can through the liver and kidneys, but anything it isn’t able to flush out through the kidneys or through perspiration will be stored in fat. Stay hydrated and your kidneys will be able to process most of it. Stay alkalized with your green juice and you will eliminate the rest and more.

• CoachEYC

April 5, 2014 at 10:58 pm

You mentioned Green Juice, do you make it yourself? If you buy it, is there a brand you recommend?

• gabs

April 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

I make cucumber juice. you can use any green veggies, but i use 2 cukes, some fresh parsley, a little fresh ginger and 4 celery sticks. this makes about 32 oz.

• TeacherMeForever

May 21, 2014 at 1:00 am

How about just eating those healthy veggies raw and drink WATER. You will find you feel much better.

• green gene

May 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm

the writer of this statement only gave you the partial run-down on why the green juice is beneficial, and you are right, according to what he said, but as a biochemistry graduate, I can tell you that the actual most beneficial part of the green juice (when you buy the powder) is that there are a lot of living fauna (and plants) from the water, in there that you don’t have in your fridge or see on the shelves in the produce section, like chlorella, spirulina, kelp, different kinds of algae, basically all the things that are truly responsible for alkalizing your system, and providing you with many living things that exist symbiotically inside you, which are a huge reason why you can exist. you have more bacteria cells inside you than your own human cells. this is a long-known fact in biology. All of these ingredients are what actually makes up this “green juice” if you go to some like super high-end detox spa like for rich celebrities or something, because it’s actually what makes the green juice work, since as you pointed out, when it comes to the veggies, you can just eat them. Go into a GNC and pick up a container of the green powder and read everything in there that is NOT a fruit or a vegetable. Its not a bunch of synthesized, weird shit that you can’t pronounce. Its all the stuff from the aquatic ecosystems that mentioned. I find it kind of alarming that the poster of this original green juice comment is dishing out all of this workout advice, when he doesn’t know this, and at the risk of seeming like a jerk, obviously has a huge double or triple chin in his photo.

• KaMaBuA

October 2, 2014 at 3:05 am

>;~D You are SO right, Green Gene; I noticed straight off that his French~Cut Goatee wasn’t quite broad enough!

• Jaye

October 28, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Green Gene – really? You’re giving advice then insult somone who is trying to give advice also? Why insult the person? That’s very immature and just stupid.

• Neil H. Jones

October 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I love using spinach, something about the flavour when mixed with berries.

• annswifts

April 3, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Interesting article.

• Jetski

April 6, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Thanks, John…that’s the best, most reasonable approach I’ve seen thusfar.

• Jeanine Turner

April 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm

What is Green Juice?

• R A

April 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm

it’s a combo of strawberries,watermelon,cherries and raspberries

• Sharen

April 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm

You don’t mention anything green in your answer.

• DKNYsf

May 16, 2014 at 7:05 pm

i think that was a joke.

• Sharen

April 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm

A green juice consists of green leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach, romaine or green leaf lettuce all of which are full of phytonutrients. You can add a small apple or a handful of blueberries to offset the bitterness of the greens if you are new to this. I use a Healthmaster which is a kind of high speed blender. I also add some coconut water or use green or white tea as a base since this adds even more of a a healthful punch due to the EGCG. I add some chic seeds, or hemp seeds, you can add some flax seeds and a scoop of protein powder to give me some muscle building energy before I go go the gym. Doctor Oz has a lot of smoothie/green juice recipes on his website. You can also google green juice. If you look up green smoothies or green juice on pinterest you will find a multitude of suggestions. Remember the basic recipe is:
        base + dark leafy greens + some fruit + health boost
        listed above mentioned

Happy Health to you!

• HappyMomMom3

April 19, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Thanks Sharen this was very helpful.

• Rick Wilkins

April 27, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Wouldn’t mix fruits and vegetables. Would suggest a low speed juicer if you can.

• KBec

May 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Why not mix? Because YOU don’t like it? This seems like an idiotic statement. Most recipes call for a mixture of items including green leafy and fruit. And how is it different than having apple in my salad or eating broccoli and having berries for dessert.
        Her suggestion was for someone who wants to make it more palatable. Why would you cr*p on that idea? If you’re going to make a BS statement you should at least explain why you believe it. Frankly it’s the only way I’d mix it bc I don’t like kale that much.

• Kwalify

June 22, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Kbec, all Rick Wilkins did was make some suggestions. Maybe you’re drinking a little too much of the green stuff and need to dial it back a notch or two. Your comment makes you look argumentative.

• Worship Dancer

May 22, 2014 at 8:19 pm

well other than the cherries it sounds pretty disgusting. i don’t consume strawberry, watermelon, or raspberry ANYTHING and somehow none of those would convince me it’s GREEN juice. i think you have the wrong ingredients for GREEN juice.

• kecward78

June 1, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Why would you ASSume GREEN meant the color of the drink? Maybe it uses that term for the ingredients, such as healthy veggies and fruits. My shake usually consists of banana, berries, greek yogurt, almond milk, peanut butter spinach, carrots and celery.

• Julie Forrest

April 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

you are right on! lost 150 lbs that way. have 40 to go but will never touch hcg again!!

• Matthew

April 25, 2014 at 11:45 pm

WoooHoo
        Big Congrats! That’s awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

• Arthur Jackson

May 20, 2014 at 4:05 pm

150 lbs? Zowie! Congrats!!

• cheryl bonner

May 24, 2014 at 7:57 am

what is HCG? trying to lose weight after healing from broken Vertebrae

• Mac67

January 2, 2015 at 2:44 am

omg i need help can u share with me how you did it i need to lose at least 80lbs

• MARLIN

September 13, 2015 at 4:43 am

LOW CARB HIGH FAT , NO SUGAR …… YOU WILL SEE RESULTS….. TRY AND GET A HOLD OF THE BOOK…. THE REAL MEAL REVOLUTION

• MB

April 10, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Good Advice. What green juice are you thinking? Spinach blends or something else?

• bcaziam

April 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm

good points..thanks John

• walty

April 11, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Thanks for sharing, I started the No Carbs, No Sodas, lost 21 pounds in one month, will include the rest of your suggestions

• JohnB

April 12, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ll make it simpler. Eat less. Move more.

• Fred Flint

April 14, 2014 at 8:58 pm

JohnB, your view does not match how your body operates. check out Tom Naughtons videos on Youtube and he will explain why calories in do not equal calories out.

• dutch

April 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

Calories in always equals calories out that’s conservation of energy in physics. However, not eating enough of the right nutrients can lead to muscle loss, digestion problems, and/or a lower metabolism.

These factors combine to make crash dieters have a difficult time losing weight. The body is a machine and it has to be fed and worked in a balanced way to get the best results.

Crash dieting never works. Most people just need to figure out what amount of calories they should eat and lower it by about 200 cal per day to lose weight. Changing a diet too fast shocks the body into wanting to store fat, it can remove too many nutrients from your diet necessary for muscle/organ function (you burn muscle/organ tissue instead of fat; fat storage in your body does not contain all the necessary nutrients for your body to function such as protein, vitamins, and minerals so your body will either slow down functions or metabolize non fat tissue), and can make you have a significant drop in energy and metabolism.

If you’re a typical adult male that’s eating 3,500 calories a day take about a month to slowly reduce your calorie intake to 2,000 cal a day (say that’s what you should be eating). Then just substitute a few unhealthy items for a few healthier items to slowly but steadily take the weight off. If it took you years to get overweight don’t think you can lose all the weight in a month. Make sure to get protein, vitamins, fat, etc. And unless you’re trying to be an athlete which shouldn’t be a person’s priority when they’re overweight only mild to moderate exercise is necessary.

Being healthy is a lifestyle choice that should be established then maintained over years.

Not really all that hard to do with some sustained effort. As one continues over years they can continue to refine their efforts and use more intense workouts and more refined diets to push their body to the best it possibly can be if they want to. But really most people just need a slow, steady, and above all a maintained effort.

Most people go into an insane amount of effort with crazy diets and only stay on them for a few months before losing ambition and giving up. I’ve been maintaining my efforts for over ten years and they have paid off. I’ve learned to understand how my body works and what I have to do to maintain or better it. WHAT THIS TAKES IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE AND IT TAKES TIME TO FIGURE OUT!

What I generally use now to judge my progress is my workouts. Every week I do push ups, running, weight lifting, etc. If I start to lose strength or energy (or I want to gain it) I eat a few hundred more calories a day (for me I just eat an extra 300 cal protein shake) and maybe I take a little bit of a break from working out/switch it up a little. Usually this works in about two weeks. If I start to noticeably gain weight I eat a little less. No crash diets, no highly restrictive diets (however, I stay away from refined sugar/desserts almost completely out of choice), and no bulking.

• Elayna

May 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm

The calorie rule is old school given the decline in the quality of the food supply over the past 20 years. No longer can you simply rely on that rule and the basic exercise program you do. Whole Foods, balancing alkalinity to stave off disease and digestive/immune problems, supplements (good quality vitamins) like iodine which has been depleted from our soil due to over farming -most adults lack, which is responsible for big 3 cancer epidemic (prostrate, breast and thyroid), balancing candida w/ high quality probiotics, mixing up your exercise routine by incorporating functional movement, practicing yoga and acupuncture -5,000 yoa practices- and stay away from ANYTHING conventional medicine or pharmaceutical!!!!

• Kbec

May 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Wow Elayna, it sounds like you’ve done all the research. I’ll let the the kids in the cancer ward that they can shun their doctors and pharmacists for acupuncture and yoga.

• Diana Lee

May 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Kbec, Let’s “play nice”. Elayna may have had a REALLY BAD experience with a REALLY BAD Doc & REALLY GOOD experiences with Natural Therapies. I know I have. I had Doc’s nearly kill me when I was 22 & a Registered Dietician working in a Health Food Store saved my life. At 59, I had a genius cancer Doc save my life. BALANCE is the key to good health. We should ALL practice Elayna’s “lifestyle” advice RE: Diet & Exercise & make our own choices RE: “Sick Care” (seeing the Medical Practioner of your choice when you are sick/injured). Actual “Health Care” is our daily healthy lifestyle choices.

• Susan Forest-Rode

May 28, 2015 at 4:03 am

Balance – that’s exactly what I was thinking. I have good docs and bad. I’ve used acupuncture and it helped relieve pain as did chiropractic.

• Mitchell Plyler

October 23, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I disagree about seeing a medical provider only when you are sick. Provider’s SHOULD be in discussion about patient preferences, goals for health, and what options are available outside of medications level therapies. If that is not what you are experiencing then look for providers that are part of Patient Centered Medical Homes. These facilities are recognized for a “patient-centered” approach and you should not feel pressured into anything but what is right for you at any given time. However, over-medication is an issue that has been driven by supply/demand economics and high profit margins, which is why it is such an issue today (and why it seems like the norm in some locations).

• joe

May 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm

So what would you suggest we do if we break a bone stay away from conventional medicine. What about serious pain. Like most things in life there are few lack and white decisions

• mbonacello

May 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Joe, obviously when debating conventional v natural medicine, no one is saying not to go to a doctor for a situation like a broken bone. Let’s be serious for a second. Traditional medicine is not all bad, and not all natural medicine is good, there are unqualified professionals in each category. I understand there are people out there that will not go to a doctor for a broken bone, but they are the outliers, and are not part of the regular conversation.

I do a lot of work with essential oils and focus my research on inflammation, which in my opinion, is the root cause of many diseases, including many cancers. Yes, your body needs inflammation, it is a form of protection, but I am talking chronic inflammation, due primarily from diet.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have on this, as long as you don’t ask ridiculous questions such as the broken bone.

• The_RS_Gadfly

June 12, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Actually, that’s exactly what Elanya said and why her advice was crap. Start with the conventional doc, that’s the stuff based on science. Only if that doesn’t work should you look in other places.

• joggr

May 24, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Elayna:

You are wrong about acupuncture and conventional medicine.
        One should avoid acupuncture and consult with a conventional medical doctor.

• Rees Britton

July 1, 2014 at 12:06 am

People like yourself and Kbec amaze me… How is putting artificial, synthetic anything into your body a good idea??? Thats right, poke fun at the person trying to do it naturally… because thats something to ridicule someone over! Keep funding the doctors that are being paid (by Rx drug companies) to mask your ailments by just giving you pills to take.
        Our take a pill for everything society honestly makes me sick… enjoy your liver and kidney damage. I know who will be making fun of whom then!

• Louis Wu

October 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Excuse me joggr– acupuncture works.. fixed my achilles tendonitus due to a muscle tear from running.. conventional doctors never noticed the muscle tear only wanted to give me muscle relaxers or surgery where they cut the achilles, shaved the bone spur then re attached the achilles.. other examples of acupuncture has worked on me where conventional docs wanted to give me just drugs..

• Jim

October 31, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I used acupuncture to treat two herniated discs. It works wonders, and I would recommend it to everyone before undergoing surgery.

• The_RS_Gadfly

June 12, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Actually she’s wrong about just about everything she posted including the iodine. Foods never supplied enough iodine, that’s why it got added to table salt. If you’ve cut out salt to avoid cardiovascular problems you may be low on iodine. OTOH, taking a standard multivitamin once a day gives you 100% of the RDA. Alternately you can just swab some medicinal iodine on the bottom of your foot. If it’s gone the next day you were low, if not you’re good. Good news is, your body will only absorb what you need that way.

• Diana Lee

May 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Elayna, Sounds like you (like me) may have had some bad experiences with Doc’s & good experiences with Natural Therapies. I have too. However, I’ve also had good experiences with “some” Doc’s. My Gynecologic Oncologist was GREAT, & so is my new Orthopedist. You REALLY have to “vet” Doc’s. They seem to be either good or bad & nothing in between. The good ones will respect & APPRECIATE your “healthy lifestyle choices” (the only TRUE “Health Care Plan”). The bad ones are pill pushers & surgery “Ho’s”, & you seem smart enough to know the difference. Good Luck & Good Health to you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• dutch

June 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Physics is old school? Conservation of energy is old school?

Um? NO.

Did I ever say you simply rely on that rule? Did you read my whole comment? You are not comprehending what I wrote. Eating a high quality healthy diet of 2,500 cals might increase muscle mass and your metabolic rate compared to a diet of 2,500 cals of CRAP. So the crap diet person might be fat compared to the high quality diet person.

However, this does not break one of the most central laws of physics: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY. The bad diet person is likely not able to sustain as much lean body mass, that person will feel like they have less energy, and that person will have a lower metabolism. Therefore they have to do SOMETHING with the extra calories. They store them as fat.

I’m not really sure what you were trying to get at.

• El Gato

July 6, 2014 at 3:40 am

I’m an engineer I know about Conservation of Mass-Energy. But you only focus on the mechanical WORK out. The body takes energy to maintain itself. Muscle burns more calories than fat just to exist. Fat cells also change testosterone to estrogen, thus making it harder to build muscle, which means you don’t burn as many calories even for the same weight.

I’ve recently lost 80 lbs, the first 65 or so, just on low carb diet, and not a (very) low calorie one. Then I started exercising in a college fitness center. Where I’m at now I do 30 minutes on the exercise bike, on a weight loss setting that provides a varying resistance. I get my hear rate up to about 75-80% of max for my age (which is nearly 65). That only represents about 180-220 kcalories of WORK according to the machine itself. Then I hydrate a bit, and switch to some upper body stuff with particular attention to my rotatory cuff, which takes 6 separate exercises. I do those plus a “rowing” type thing, and a pull down type thing. All on “plate and cable” type machines. Then I do leg curls and extentions.

In all cases I set the weight to the level where I can just barely manage 15 reps. (Not so much so for the rotator cuffs) I also do some squats, but a very mild version, no extra weight and with a ball behind my back against a wall.

I’ve lost that last 15 or so pounds, in less than 4 months, but reduced my belt size by 4 inches, which tells me I’ve lost even more fat than 15 lbs, but added muscle. Which is denser than fat.

The only “issue” I”ve had is a slightly sore lower back, and I “invented” and exercise, really just bending over while pulling on the cable/plate machine, which helps that.. a lot.

I do that routine 3 days a week, spending about 1 hr 15-30 minutes. I also swim the other two days. But that seems to aggravate my back, so I’ll skip that and do the gym routine instead for another week or two, maybe swim 1 day instead of two.

But the important thing is not getting static, rather increasing the weight as the earlier setting gets “easy”.

I’d like to add some free weights, but won’t until I can find someone to instruct me in doing it safely.. that back again, which does have what was a herniated disk… and my titanium/polyester knees too.

At our “When I’m 64” class “reunion” I got told, by a lady, “I don’t recall you being so handsome in high school”

Then they dragged out the old yearbook, and then two of them agreed, I’m handsomer now. I hope I manged not to blush too much. The second lady who agreed is a dance instructor, and still in very good shape herself. The other appears in good shape too, but doesn’t move as gracefully as the dancer/instructor.

I’m looking forward to my next doctor visit. I don’t expect my BP to be much lower than last time, which was only very marginally high anyway, and according to the doc “not dangerous” but.. I still think he’ll be pleased.

• dutch

July 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Did you read what I wrote? Because you wrote a whole bunch of gibberish that has nothing to do with my comment.

• El Gato

April 22, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Actually I thought I was expanding on what you wrote, and adding a little personal evidence. Weight loss is now up to 105 or 110 lbs, My doctor was extremely pleased,and somewhat shamed, since he’s a bit chunky now and knows it.

So yes conservation of mass-energy holds, but you have to account for all the energy, not just the mechanical work.

And with that, I’m off to get ready for my daily (week days) session in the fitness pavilion, with all the 19-22 year old college students.. plus a few coaches and faculty members.

• platerunner

July 28, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Calories in does = calories out, period! If you eat less calories than your body burns, you will lose weight. If you eat more calories than your body burns, you will gain weight. Low fat diets are low in calories, but if you choose to eat more fat, you can still lose weight, but you won’t have as much to eat. Fruits and vegetables will are great for your digestive system and have the nutrition your body needs. But adding low fat proteins like fish and chicken is fine. Stay away from refined sugar and flour, those are the killers.

• Fred Flint

July 29, 2014 at 1:40 pm

All you have to do is look at America’s waistline to prove my point

• goodgirl

May 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm

ha ha

• Operation Plumbbob

July 27, 2014 at 6:16 am

Or, in the words of the late John Pinette: Quitcher aytin’!

• fast_eddie_72

April 16, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Just eat food. There’s no formula, other than this: eat fewer calories than you burn. Period. Drink Soda if you like it. I don’t drink a lot of diet soda because I think it does all kinds of bad stuff to you. But it DOESN’T make you gain weight. Zero calories are zero calories. Carbohydrates are fine. Food in a box is fine. To supercharge your fat loss – burn more calories than you eat. That’s it. It’s math. Plain and simple. Sure, there’s all kinds of things you should do to try to be healthy. But this crazy list of “eliminate” this and “eat at least blah blah” is nothing any normal person could keep up for any period of time. And they don’t have to. Eat a reasonable diet. Keep track of calories. Burn more of them than you eat. Lose weight every time.

• Huckleberry

April 23, 2014 at 5:46 am

You’re just very wrong on several things here. Diet soda can cause you to gain weight. NOT by caloric intake but through the result that the artificial sweeteners can have on your appetite. Artificial sweeteners tend to trick your body into thinking it’s consuming calories and as such increase your appetite since there is no caloric intake via the soda and your brain is like “hey, um… we need those! EAT MORE”. In fact drinking diet soda with your meals can actually make you feel less full and thereby desire more food.

Just eat food is a loaded statement there. There’s all sorts of food that you just shouldn’t consume. And while I hope it’s obvious that I mean “on a regular basis” it’s STILL better to just cut that crap out altogether. Especially if you ARE trying to change your diet from a horrible one to a healthy one as that crap can mess with your metabolism and send you right back to bad habits.

No, food in a box is not fine. Well, some of it is “fine” but who the hell wants to just eat stuff that’s “fine”? We’re talking about weight loss and general healthy living. Thriving. Not just surviving. Hell, a value meal is “fine” as in it’s not going to kill you and having one once in a while IS “fine”… and if you’re a starving individual or homeless and someone hands you a hot pocket, by all means, that’s gonna help you not hurt you.

However, that’s not what anyone is talking about here. In general, boxed food is processed and enhanced with chemicals for flavorings & preservatives & has artificial sweetendes (same metabolic effects of the diet soda) or high levels of natural yet highly refined sweeteners & sodium. And whether or not you agree, that sort of stuff just does not lead to a healthy body and mind. Plain and simple. A lot of it leaves you lethargic, feeling bloated or heavy in the gut, it can sap your mental focus and just generally leave you feeling blah. And most people don’t even notice this stuff because it’s been how they’ve lived for years. It’s just “normal” to them. When they cut it out and eat natural healthy foods that they prepare, then they see the difference. And it’s huge.

And sorry but your “nothing any normal person could keep up for any period of time” is just a horribly inaccurate statement that sounds as if you’re trying to just excuse your own habits. There are plenty of people in this world that never touch anything that’s just generally not good for you and not out of any masochistic self imposing rules of “Must… RESIST. I … I must…NOT… EAT… THAT… CORNDOG!!” but rather simply because they don’t want to and enjoy eating natural and healthy foods.

I see that you said “eat a reasonable diet” and that’s true. But what you consider reasonable may not really be that reasonable, all things considered. If you want to eat whatever and snack on boxed goods and eat microwave dinners, that’s your choice bro, but please try and refrain from misinforming the masses that may be looking for solid information to improve their diet and telling the rest of the world what they’re unable to do simply because you can’t or don’t want to.

• jenb128

May 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I lost 50 pounds in the last year (which is all I needed to lose), and I still drink diet soda. Granted, I don’t drink it every single day, but I’ll have it with lunch a few times per week.

Also, while I have increased the amount of whole foods I eat and reduced the amount of processed foods, I still do eat some “food in a box.” There are days when I simply don’t have the time or energy to cook whole foods, so boxed foods it is on those days (usually twice a week).

It doesn’t have to be as black and white as some folks here are making it out to be. Of course it’s better for you to have a piece of fruit for dessert than have that brownie, but sometimes you just really want that brownie!

• Damon Burro

May 16, 2014 at 5:33 pm

“You’re just very wrong on several things here. Diet soda can cause you
        to gain weight. NOT by caloric intake but through the result that the
        artificial sweeteners can have on your appetite.”

See what you did there? You said diet soda causes weight gain, but then immediately explained it does not. I won’t discuss the theory of it causing a satiation problem — that’s ‘maybe’ debatable. But diet soda DOES NOT CAUSE weight gain. In your theory, drinking soda may lead to feeling hungry, but it’s still EATING that causes the weight gain. So, how about instead of blaming soda, blame people that don’t know mind over matter — that is, if your soda made you feel hungry, but you already ate enough for the day, DON’T EAT MORE!!!

The CAUSE of weight gain is PRECISELY calorie intake. The solution for people that only pay attention to what their body CAN take in vs. what it SHOULD take in might be to stop drinking diet soda, but it’s still not the cause of weight gain.

• Arthur Jackson

May 20, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I think I know what Huckleberry is talking about.
        There was a study a while back that suggested that aspartame (the sweetener used in most diet sodas) caused a decrease in the production of seratonin, which helps control appetite.

• El Gato

July 6, 2014 at 3:15 am

Which is why I avoid aspartame as much as I can. I drink diet RC/Diet Right, which use Splenda, and various types which use Stevia, I use Stevia in my tea, if I can, but I never ever use aspartame, I’ll use the old Pink Stuff, that got a bad rap due to some bad studies.

• TeacherMeForever

May 21, 2014 at 12:49 am

You misunderstood – diet soda causes weight gain because it tricks your body into feeling hungry – if you don’t satisfy that hunger, your metabolism slows down to compensate for what your body views as starvation, lowering your ability to burn calories. So YES, diet soda CAUSES weight gain. Google it. It is well researched.

• Nancy G

July 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Nope! Diet sodas are not good for you, but they DO NOT cause weight gain!!!

• Rees Britton

July 1, 2014 at 12:10 am

Look at most people who drink soda compared to those that do not…. Soda drinkers are always heavier!
        Get a grip!

• Nancy G

July 15, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Damon Burro, you are so right! I am 59 and have been drinking diet sodas since I was a teenager. I am not overweight. Some people will believe all sorts of propaganda!

• Nancy G

July 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

There is NO single hard and fast rule for everyone. Peoples’ bodies are so different, and the issues they face constrain them in so many ways.

• justmyopinion

April 29, 2014 at 6:30 pm

You are SOOO right. Losing weight is simple. People try to make it WAY too complicated. I lost 60 lbs last year and ran a triathlon. I found a simple way that worked FOR ME. I understand basic balance in what I eat (having carbs, fat, and protien), and total calories (calories in, vs calories burned). We are human beings, not robots, so it’s important that people understand themselves and find their own path that best fits with their likes and schedule. Understand your OWN personal weak points (for me, it was eating chips at night), so that you can address those head on. You will certainly need to compromise and make changes, but it’s also important that you still enjoy your life, and allow for occasional treats, etc. I did things some would consider “wrong.” I only eat 2 meals a day (pretty much always have). I often eat dinner at 10 or 11 at night after getting back from the gym. Yet, I had the confidence of knowing my food intake for the day was at the right level, no matter how many meals I ate or when I ate them. The main thing was, the way I found was SIMPLE for me and aligned with my life and my likes. So it is something I can stick with for the long term. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend my way for others, but I would recommend that people find their OWN healthy path – understanding the importance of a generally balanced diet and the relatively simple math of calories in and calories burned. People are much less likely to stick with something if it’s overly rigid and onerous.

• Not fast eddie

May 8, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hey Fast Eddie,

you know nothing

• gene

May 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Some have a more difficult metabolic equation to deal with than others. Sure discipline will work but will lead the lethargy and many times this leads to lack of follow thru due to real life constraints. Bosses and kids don’t appreciate the low energy approach.

• Damon Burro

May 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Within 5%. It’s too big of an excuse. If you just at a hot dog, and you feel like eating more, you’re eating too much.

• Worship Dancer

May 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm

better idea REPLACE ALL SODA WITH WATER.

• Patty

May 20, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Sodas and carbonated drinks deplete calcium. Diet soda is all chemicals your body doesn’t like. Why not chose herbal teas. Purified water not put in plastic that can leak chemicals. Stevia or plant based sweeteners not artificial chemicals if you need to sweeten something.

• Susan Forest-Rode

May 28, 2015 at 4:06 am

Yes, diet soda and regular soda will kill you if you drink enough of it. It offers no nutritional value whatsoever and contains an abundance of chemicals that your body does not need. On top of that it’s packaged in either toxic plastic or BPA lined cans.

• Mys77

June 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I agree, a balanced diet, portion control, lots of water before and during the meal, and exercise…..no need to over complicate it!

• Mike Dillon

October 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

See, I find this conversation funny because everyone keeps saying the poster is making things complicated, when actually it is not at all. Just eat Whole foods, meat, fish, fruits and veggies and drink water….eat some nuts and what not in there as well. It is a more simple diet than eating all the other processed crap they have in the markets these days. I switched to all these items 1 year ago and it worked wonders on my body and is actually easier to plan meals.

• Lonestar

July 8, 2014 at 1:04 am

True. If you count calories (as I did) you learn pretty fast which foods give you the most satiation for the calories you consume. Eating all carbs is almost always a promise that you will either be hungry or overeat.

If you count calories, and are honest, you will succeed. But you’ll lose your mind if you get those calories from donuts.

• Nancy G

July 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Then why do I have friends who don’t eat meat, eat lots of carbs, but are skinny???

• Lonestar

July 25, 2014 at 1:35 am

Give me a week or two of details about their diet–everything they ate, how much or how many calories, and I’ll get back to you on that.

The most likely explanation is that they’re not eating as many carbs as you think due to having a better internal fullness scale, but it’s hard to know without knowing the exact same situation.

I also have a friend who eats nothing but fast food and hostess products, but stays skinny. This person simply naturally doesn’t eat that much because their mind/body is better able to accurately judge the calories they intake. That’s not most of us though.

• Chris

April 21, 2014 at 5:41 pm

It’s easy to lose weight if you have time to prepare all your meals. If you have time, staying fit is actually very easy.

• Daalie

April 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Typical excuse from someone that does not care. There are so many healthy options that are easy to make and very affordable. It takes 5 minutes every morning to make a spinach, blueberry, strawberry, banana, peanut butter shake. Once a week you grill a few pieces of fresh salmon for a lunch salad you can make before you go to bed with spinach, avocado, zucchini, raspberry’s and a light dressing….there are so many options…. STOP make excuses and discourage people that want to get healthier.

For $100 you e.g can get a vivofit band that will motivate you to move. It determines your goal (amount of steps per day), shows your progress, informs you when you have been inactive for too long, adjust your goal automatically….. The only thing you have to do is to move. If my 84 year old dad can do it than anybody can do it.

• Bluwater

May 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Yep, nobody is that busy with absolute essentials. Give up an hour of television every day and you’ll have all the time you need. Give up some of your Internet time, and you’ll also have time. Don’t be a slacker and an excuse maker.

• IJustWantTruth

April 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I read that the real problem with carbs is their lack of fiber and that if you simply increase fiber intake, you can have some carbs with no issues. Does that sound right?

• Kwalify

June 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm

There’s a difference between simple and complex carbohydrates. The complex ones are the ones to eat especially when trying to lose weight.

• Matthew

April 25, 2014 at 11:39 pm

wow. magnificent post. big thanks John!

• CJ

April 28, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Oatmeal and Cheerio’s are both sold in a box….are you saying these are bad to jump start your metabolism in the morning?

• Bluwater

May 3, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I wouldn’t do the Cheerio’s. Despite what they say, these are processed carbs and most of the good stuff has been stripped out.

Do oatmeal, but not the garbage pre-cooked rolled oats junk. Go get yourself some steel cut oats and make up a batch of cereal at night, enough to cover you for a couple of days. I add coconut oil and cinnamon, a handful of raisins, and another handful of pine nuts, with just a small pinch of sea salt. If you want to add something sweet to it, try some local unprocessed honey, real maple syrup, or blackstrap molasses to it. Loosen it up with a bit of whole organic milk.

A bowl of this and an egg or two will get you all the way till mid-afternoon if need be.

• Kellie

May 19, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I make cold porridge in pint mason jars and it’s a great way to break fast for early morning workers. So simple: in a pint jar combine 1/3 cup whole cut oats, 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (honey/vanilla), 1/2 cup milk, cinnamon(?) to taste. Close lid and shake well. Chop and add any fresh, frozen, dried or drained canned fruit (juice not syrup). I add walnuts, pecans or almonds for a protein boost. Stir, close lid and refrigerate overnight (good for up to 3 days in fridge). I would usually eat half while driving to work and the rest two hours later. It’s an amazing energy food and easy to make and take. You can find recipes online or just make up your own cold porridge combo. Food IS the medicine our bodies need to function properly, thrive and most importantly, spontaneously heal and repair cell damage while we sleep. I avoid processed food (what I refer to as “NOTFOOD”) about 95% of the time. Unfortunately, real food, not genetically corrupt and contaminated with manmade poisonous chemicals is nearly impossible to find at the grocery store. You are correct, Elayna, the “NOTFOOD” makes us sick (my 13yr old grand daughter has severe Crohn’s) and the drugs they push on us after they’ve made us sick are designed only to alleviate symptoms not heal. It’s a deadly combination that makes us sick, keeps us sick and even kills us. Control the world’s food and water resources and you control the world. It’s the despot’s ultimate power and an effective method of population control along with the additional benefit of making a fortune doing it. But that’s a whole other discussion…..

• William

May 20, 2014 at 3:58 pm

CJ they actually are – not because of the whole grains but the hidden sugar in many of the foods listed. Take a look in your pantry and see everywhere hiddne processed sugar is in your diet. Look at the back of the can of ‘Rolled Oats” just plain old oatmeal – you will see there is no sugar whatsoever. Every processed and package oatmeal that has any “flavoring” to it has sugar in it. Ketchup, BBQ sauce every granola bar, almost every cereal in the store has sugar – except for one – Shredded Wheat. I was even surprised by plain old Corn Flakes have sugar. Watch also very carefully where your carbs come from, Carbs that don’t have proteins I.E. Whole grains should be they are “empty” carbs and only lead directly to the body converting these calories to stored sugar.

• TeacherMeForever

May 21, 2014 at 12:56 am

Yes – they are processed carbs. Don’t believe the cereal companies – they are trying to sell ——- wait for it ————— cereal!!

• tina

April 6, 2015 at 5:38 am

or whole wheat pasta?

• B.D.

April 28, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Or you can eat less, exercise, and put lemon in water when you drink it. Lemon is alkaline in the body as converted, though it is naturally acidic otherwise.

• Chris O'Driscoll

April 30, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I was about 205 lbs a year ago…I stopped drinking soda and dropped 10 lbs in about a month. I drink mostly water or unsweet tea now, so I usually drink 0 calories a day.

• Comedian Chuck Montgomery

May 2, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Great stuff & timely for me. Thanks!

• Mztisa

May 6, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Very helpful. Thanks!

• Elayna

May 9, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I juice and throw anything I can tolerate in there (avocado, spirulina, cilantro, spinach and fruits, etc.). I hydrate w/ lemon juice in water to stay alkaline. I take a shot of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar every morning for numerous health benefits. I aim to eat only foods my grandmother would recognize (whole foods) and take MegaFoods vitamins, iodine supplments, Probiotic to balance candida, Magnesium sulfate baths to balance hormones & remove toxins, and do CrossFit like workouts while my 4 kids are practicing whatever sports they do. I could stand to increase the frequency and intensity of my workouts- I think its the only thing I’m missing bcuz I am not ripped up just at a pre-pregnancy weight. I also do yoga, go to acupuncturist and go barefoot 20 minutes a day (grounding – antioxidant release and blood thinning benefits). Ordered T25 to step it up a notch to finish this thing- I’ve been doing so many things right just have to kick my ass to get it finished!! Your guidance was helpful- I am very critical of nutritional guidance since I subscribe to the fact that conventional medicine and pharmaceuticals are KILLING us!! Your info was detailed and informative and credible.

• Coco

May 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Grounding? I haven’t heard this before. Can you explain this a bit more? I take my kickboxing/MMA classes barefoot because it just feels better then wearing shoes.

• Ahy Nonimous

May 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Too complicated a lifestyle, girl. You’re too wrapped up in yourself.

• Ariel Kay

May 28, 2014 at 6:21 pm

You drink lemon juice to stay alkaline? Lemon juice is an acid (citric acid, aka anti-alkaline). So is vinegar (also called acetic acid) by the way…

• Jerry

May 12, 2014 at 8:45 pm

You realize that most universities offer Ph.D.s in Human Nutrition and in Exercise Physiology. Which universities did you receive your Ph.D.s in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology from? Standford, Harvard, Cornell, Columbia and Duke all offer Ph.Ds. in one or both of these fields. These are very intelligent people dedicating 7+ years of their lives to learn the science of fitness and nutrition. Unless, you have done so, you are certainly no expert in these areas. Just saying!

• Anon

May 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm

The institutions listed are all outdated. Harvard blackballs people who don’t agree with their financial donors. I’m not impressed with the RDs (or MDs) from those institutions. They don’t think, they recite old news.

• gene

May 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Try it for a week and see how it works, if it doesn’t try something else.

• Rosie

May 15, 2014 at 4:37 am

Thank you for this advice!!

• Chase Finch

May 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Except that animal based protein offers certain amino acids that you can’t get from plant based protein [along with other healthy interactions our bodies get from animal proteins that isn’t fully understood].

• chedud

May 20, 2014 at 5:56 am

Yeah and not to mention that they taste really good!

• TeacherMeForever

May 21, 2014 at 12:53 am

Untrue – you can get any vitamin, mineral or amino acid necessary from a plant. Where do you think the animals got it? They eat plants.

• Patricia Baker

May 28, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Thank you John. You look like a friend of mine and I enjoyed reading your information. Going to give it a try!

• beanbag

May 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your personal opinions. The subject of nutrition is rife with pontificating poindexters who have all the answers in their opinions.
      One thing is certain: research findings are obsolete/incorrect almost as quickly as they are found. This leads to incredible frustration for those who need to be led by the nose to attain improved health.
      The best overall approach is one of common sense. It’s that simple. Get your rest; eat good, natural food; stay hydrated; get some exercise (like walking). It’s that simple.

• cynic

May 29, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Diet soda & zero calorie soda COULD be a fine hydration method? Do you think the carbonation is unhealthy? You’re NO Doctor John ! A lot of different foods have some bad aspects to them, what makes diet soda so bad?

• Kayla

July 3, 2014 at 2:26 am

You are so right. I gave up soda and processed foods and never looked back. Every now and then I will eat some pasta, but a small portion every few months isn’t how I got fat (ya feel me?) I implemented the “perimeter shopping rule,” meaning I buy 95 percent of my food from the perimeter of the grocery store (hint: that’s where the fruit/veggies live.) I’ve never known ANYBODY who got fat by eating too much fruits and veggies. But the no soda and processed carbs really is the way to go. And after a couple weeks, you won’t even miss it.

• Trish Chasity

July 17, 2014 at 11:10 am

where is the fruit???

• bossling

August 2, 2014 at 1:33 am

John, can you give your recipe for green juice?
      Thanks

• thomas

February 4, 2015 at 4:08 am

MSG is fine. Glutamate is just an amino acid, exists in all food that contains protein, and your body is perfectly capable of dealing with it.

• dude76

February 9, 2015 at 6:30 pm

what about oatmeal

• anthony kelly

May 13, 2015 at 9:33 pm

well said bro !!! hardcore but…. you are 100 % right. gotta be in it, to win it !! keep up the good work ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Eddie O

April 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm

the formula for losing weight is simple and has been the same since the dawn of time: move more & eat less.

13. Lani

April 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm

It’s a balance of exercise and eating right. if you’re gong to consume an excessive amount of calories then you need to burn them.

@Jim F. the HCG diet does not work for everyone. I’ve tried a multitude of diet “gimmicks” none of them worked. The only thing that worked was exercise to reshape and firm and eating right. Took 6 months but lost 30 pounds.

14. Christine

April 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Just exercise to the best of your ability and cut down your portion sizes. Limit your sodium intake, it irritates your blood vessels and leads to high blood pressure. 6 small meals a day keeps your metabolism humming along. Don’t eat after 7 pm.
    I was a size 18 @ age 16 and I am now a size 2 @ 62 years old. You have to change how you think about food. It’s not a crutch to make you feel better. People eat mindlessly in this country.

• Terry

April 12, 2014 at 7:06 am

What do you tell yourself about food. I eat terribly as meds make me tired and find myself munching some from cravings but also from being bored from being in pain so not able to do a lot. I need to put things in my mind to help me change the way I think about food. Can you give me some things you tell yourself? Also, what are foods you recommend I eat? Thanks!

15. gibson

April 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm

yes the diet dose work it was the hardest thing i ever did i lost the weight did the reset and kept the weight off for about 6 months then it started coming back you just can’t keep the lifestyle up so yes it works but you will need to do it again if you start to gain it back and it was to hard to do i could not do it one more time

16. DCR1

April 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm

The best diet and exercise program is the one that works most comfortably for you, keep trying until you find one that works and stick with it! For me, it was cutting my food intake in half, loading my mp3 with all of my favorite upbeat music and walking!

17. sara

April 7, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I have tried it, and, it works for many. I lost 7 pds. But, for people who mentally want to eat, like me, it doesn’t work enough. I was never hungry but I couldn’t resist treats.

18. Tea Doff

April 9, 2014 at 2:00 pm

The latest studies seem to indicate that weight loss is mostly about eating right, and less about exercise. You cannot overcome a bad diet with exercise. You must both eat right and do moderate exercise to lose weight. But a good diet will have the bigger bearing on weight loss.

19. Karen S.

April 9, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I’m a runner and love the great sweat/ workout it provides, but as I get
    older And have a harder time getting motivated I slowed down and gained a little weight. But along comes a new dog who needs a ton of regular excessive and loves the outdoors as he’s a hunting breed…..so I now run with him a couple times a week, have fun and he pulls me up the hills! I recommend it ๐Ÿ™‚

20. T-Bone

April 10, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I use the poor mans gym. No memberships, can crosstrain all the muscles, and can be hi intensity or interval. It’s called chores.

21. Christopher Sullivan

April 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Jim Stoppani is the only thing you need to know. I highly recommend his Shortcut to size and shortcut to shred workouts.

22. jamesapril

April 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Green Juice:

Play around with some combos. Here are some of my favorites:
    Handful
    of dinosaur kale (4-6 leaves stems), 5-6 stalks celery, 1 lemon (I
    roughly cut the peel off before juicing), 2 small gala apples.

1 whole beet including greens, an inch or two of ginger, 2 cucumbers

2 hearts of romaine, ยฝ lb carrots
    Hereโ€™s to your health!

23. Terry

April 12, 2014 at 7:15 am

What is everyone’s favorite healthy foods? I really need help. I don’t want to try any fad diets, just healthy eating to lose weight. I’m not able to exercise much other than walking a little. Any mindset quotes, favorite foods and other advice welcome. I have a hard time eating breakfast and a hard time stopping munchies at night. I know its my biggest downfall so any comments welcome. Please be kind. I want to lose weight or I wouldn’t be asking for help. Tell me what you tell yourself that helps you eat right n push yourself to exercise. Thanks and Congrats to all on your success!

• Michelle Warren

May 6, 2014 at 4:59 am

Eating late at night is a hard habit to break-I know! Breakfast is important-try fruit in the morning with a hard boiled egg, piece of toast
      With light peanut butter-its will fill you up. Have to cut back on fatty stuff like butter,mayo and processed,starchy items,wheat bread is better for you then white
      and cut back on the sugar. Good luck luck!
      I am trying to lose weight myself ๐Ÿ™‚
      Drink lots of water and get your 8 hours of sleep each night.

24. SPINMASTER

April 13, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Ok..so some of these diet exercise tips are very good. But you don’t need them all. And you don’t need an expensive gym member ship either. Go to any US military basic training program, and you will see there are no Weights, beautiful wt machines, none of that. All there is is YOU, a pair of sneakers and your body. That’s all it takes. Exercise and calestenics. Walk. start with 20 mins and try to get up to about 80 or so. Buy yourself a stationary bike and flop it in front of your TV. You don’t need weights. Do pushups, jumping jacks, leg lifts, and core exercises from the internet. Now, get your A..Movin!!!! ohhh, and stop being a pig and back away from the table!!! 3 meals a day. and a couple of light snacks. Whole grains, fruits and veges..plus a little meat. Stay out of fast food joints, leave the cakes and sweets alone, put down the sodas. There!! I’m 55 yrs old, 6’2 and 192 pds. And I feel like..King Kong. going for a 45 min walk now!!!!!!!!

25. El Richbo

April 15, 2014 at 6:50 pm

To follow up on John’s great advice, the timing of when you consume the carbs is important. Take them in right after your workout, when your body is in an ideal mode to replenish the glycogen you burned during the workout. Get a high quality blender, like a VitaMix. Make a yummy smoothie with greek yogurt, coconut water, fresh fruits, and throw in the green stuff. Spinach, kale, cucumber, whatever you have in the fridge. It will look awful but be quite tasty. The fruits will dominate the flavor. You can easily take in 6 servings of fresh fruits and veggies in one tasty smoothie. All the liquid and fiber will keep you full for hours.

26. Chuck Anziulewicz

April 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

If you want to lose weight, you simply need to burn more calories than you consume. It’s a simple as that. Fad diets won’t do it. “Certain kinds of exercises” won’t do it. Trendy diet foods won’t do it. If you like to eat rich, fattening foods, you’ll have to engage in more physical activity to compensate. If you are unwilling or unable to engage in any significant physical activity, you’ll have to cut back on the amount of calories you consume. This is not rocket science.

27. fast_eddie_72

April 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

ARGH! To lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories than you burn. PERIOD! You can lose weight with no exercise at all. You can lose weight without cutting carbs. You can lose weight without ever eating a vegetable. Those are all extremes, and not what I’d recommend, but perpetuating all these crazy ideas is nonsense. “Thereโ€™s no getting around the fact that in order to lose weight safely and permanently, you need to eat healthy food and get plenty of exercise.” NO! I eat at Arby’s at least once every couple of weeks. I like the Ruben. I track my calories and I put that in my food log same as everything else. If I want Pizza, I get pizza. If I want a burger, I get a burger. There is no “off limits” there is no “must eat” there is no “must do”. Burn more calories than you eat. End of story. And honestly, in moderation, there’s nothing unhealthy about eating foods you like that don’t fit the popular definition of “healthy foods”. In fact, eating the foods you like is, in my opinion, critical to building a “diet” you will actually stick to forever. I’ve lost 30 lbs. in 5 months. Yes, I exercise a lot, but I know people who have lost weight who don’t. They just can’t eat as much. I’m going out for Mexican food tonight. So far I’ve eaten, well, nothing. I’ll eat my calories tonight and enjoy them. And I’ll keep losing weight with beef burritos and tacos. Most days I stick to lower calorie foods that have the nutrients I need. I eat a lot of home made vegetable soup and turkey chili. But I also eat all the yummy things I listed above. Track your calories, your carbs, your fat, and your protein, stick to some reasonable goals and you’ll lose weight. Figure you’re BMR, then figure how many calories you burn in a day. Add more if you exercise. Eat fewer calories than that and you’ll lose weight. 100% of the time. No exceptions. Period. End of story. No book. No diet. No magic foods. Eat less than you burn. Burn more than you eat. “Exercising burns calories and builds muscle” Not if you’re losing weight it doesn’t. Exercise when you’re eating less than you’re burning doesn’t “build” anything. It can help preserve muscle so you burn fat, but that’s it. You’re not going to build muscle on a calorie deficit. Ever. Talk to the guy lifting weights at the gym and ask him how many calories he eats.

28. TT

April 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I gave up alcohol a year ago and as a result also gave up diet Coke which I needed to get thru my day. I have lost 80 lbs and I believe the removal of soda had as much to do with this as the removal of booze (in recovery for one year next week…YAY). I’ve had both hips replaced and still battle a few things that make regular excersise possible. The crap they put in diet soda and sell as healthy should be illegal.

29. The thin msn

April 19, 2014 at 6:55 pm

i use the REDS plan–Rest Exercise Diet and ill let you figure out what S is for.

30. Bill

April 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks doing a 1200 calorie a day diet and walking 3-5 miles a day

31. Ryan

April 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm

You mention Green Juice below. Another idea would be to drink Shakeology. I’ve added this to my daily intake and have lost almost 20 lbs in 2 months. I love it!!!

32. This is a myth

April 23, 2014 at 10:18 pm

This is the biggest myth known to mankind..the real truth is you do not need to ex cerise to lose weight, the only way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake. Exercising is not… I repeat not going to cause you to lose body fat…end of story.

• Lil25

April 26, 2014 at 6:30 am

I started working out 7 months ago. I have not dieted at all. I have only lost about 20 pounds, but I have dropped 6 sizes. I can see the muscles in my arms and abdominals, and I have definitely lost body fat!

33. Karenique

April 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm

any suggestions for those of us who have a hard time with standing/walking due be being overweight? like more exercises you can do sitting, my feet hurt so much when I walk that I end up not getting enough exercise that way.

• Lil25

April 26, 2014 at 6:42 am

Maybe try getting one of those sets of bicycle pedals you can use while sitting in a chair. They don’t take up much space and usually cost less than $50. When i started, I wasn’t overweight enough that I had trouble standing or walking, but I was definitely out of shape. I began with just strength training, and, as I started to feel myself get a little stronger, after about 4 weeks I added cardio. Cardio is necessary for significant weight loss, but strength training does have it’s benefits. You can use bands or dumbells or other hand weights while sitting or lying down. If you have to stand, at least you won’t have to be on your feet a very long time.

For people who are extremely overweight, it’s probably best to talk to a doctor and/or a nutritionist before beginning a weight-loss program. A lot of times they recommend modifying your diet first to help you lose enough weight that exercise won’t be so hard on your body.

• mike

April 27, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Start in a pool. Walking in chest deep water burns more calories per “mile” than walking on land. The water will also take a large amount of weight off your knees and feet at the same time, which will reduce the pain from these areas.

34. tkell31

April 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Very insightful article. So almost any type of exercise will help you lose weight. Amazing. I was hoping to see sitting on the couch eating potato chips.

35. wizardo

April 27, 2014 at 1:23 am

John, Brilliant, correct, and not easy to do. But that, of course, is why most of us are overweight–laziness, pure and simple.

36. cwm

April 28, 2014 at 7:34 pm

The most important weight loss exercise is the Push Away. To accomplish the Push Away you grab hold of the edge of the table and push yourself away from all of that food on the table.

37. matt

April 29, 2014 at 12:26 am

eat less. exercise more. it ain’t hard.

• Michelle Warren

May 6, 2014 at 4:48 am

And drink lots of water and get 7-8 hrs of sleep every night.

38. SPINMASTER

April 29, 2014 at 3:31 pm

This article is a..bunch of BS!!! You don’t need all of this to lose weight. Just say Exercise and eating sensibly. Ever notice how the Army and Marine Corp do it? Take Notice. There are no fancy gyms with machines and weights. There is just you. that’s it. You run/walk and do calestinics. Thats it. I know..I was there. For those of you with limitations, Buy a stationary bike, and flop it down in front of your TV. Pedal 20 to 30 minutes a day. Start walking 20 minutes a day at 1st, then up to a hr eventually. Go on the internet and get 5 or six simple weight bearing exercise or buy yourself some therabands and get some exercise for it off the internet. Its sooooo simple. Don’t believe all this BS about wt loss supplements, fads and over strenuous exercises with weights.. Its all just..You and watching your sugar intake. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sally

May 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm

The beginning of the article said to pick ONE. It didn’t say that you needed it all. Lol. However, changing things up isn’t a bad thing. So, picking several and rotating them throughout the year (if you can) isn’t going to inhibit weight loss. Smh.

39. Brian Federmack

April 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I lost 28 pounds in 1 week (245 – 228) by not snacking so much and EATING FAST FOOD (mostly McD) 2x a day and I wasn’t being very active… Mostly consisted of soda, 2 spicy chicken sandwiches and fries. It was that or a 10 piece nuggets with a soda and fries and then the occasional ice cream. I don’t have a fast metabolism considering I bounced between 245 and 250 since senior year of high school (2007) Now I’m at 230 and don’t eat fast food and little to no vegetables. I eat meat, starch and the occasional snack. Explanation anyone?

• Michelle Warren

May 6, 2014 at 4:45 am

28 pounds in 1week?
      You lost by eating fast food?
      Yeah right!

• Infinitelow

May 12, 2014 at 5:38 am

GOOD for you! But….
      It is not metabolically possible to lose 28lbs of fat in a week.
      Trouble we all have is confusing weight loss (water -fat -muscle – viscera)
      with “fat loss”. To actually burn (dispose of a pound of fat takes the better part of a week. Under the duress of restricted caloric intake your body will throw muscle and viscera before it gives up fat, much like a shortsighted corporation will dump long time employees rather than cut bonuses for the CEO

(speaking from experience – Lost 100 lbs in one year, by living on 1000
      calories a day and aerobic exercise every day) Gained and lost several hundred over the past decades!

• mepatri3

May 14, 2014 at 5:52 pm

They must have brought you the McD’s in your hospital room after your weight reduction surgery. No way you’d loose 28 lbs in just one week.

• Lili

December 7, 2015 at 12:26 am

liar liar pants on fire!!!!

40. Susan

May 1, 2014 at 12:04 am

I stopped drinking diet soda since January 2014 and haven’t lost a pound. I find that I am MORE hungry since I stopped drinking diet soda!

• Jeff Anderlik

May 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Don’t expect to lose weight by quitting diet soda. It’s the people addicted to the real deal that benefit from cutting this out of their diet. The reason you feel hungry is probably because you’re not replacing the soda with water, and mistaking thirst for hunger. Not to mention the fact that when your stomach is constantly full of fluids, and then not, signals the brain that there may be something wrong because it’s different from how it usually feels. Reduce meal portions, increase frequency, and start moving your body. All you have to do is burn more calories than you take in. And remember, a pound of fat is 3,500 calories, and part of your weight loss will be canceled out by increasing muscle through exercise, because muscle weighs more than fat.

41. Jerry

May 4, 2014 at 12:18 am

My wife lost 55 pounds using a healthy product assist that energized her enough to want to walk. She has kept it off and is really healthy. Now I have to keep up.

42. Richard

May 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Most of the opinions expressed have merit, but no one mentioned cutting our sugar. If a sweetener is desired, I find stevia to be the most palatable.

43. Morlando26

May 9, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Be careful doing Crossfit. Only do it with trainers that you trust, most of them are beginners to moderately skilled trainers who bucked up the cash to take a test. You run the real risk of an overuse injury. Plus people who do crossfit are more smug than when people first started driving the Prius. How do you know if someone does Crossfit? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you.
    Push ups, pull ups, some sort of athletic activity a few times a week for an hour, and eat foods that are healthy for you. Stop drinking soda, diet soda is still soda. Don’t put a quart of ranch or blue cheese dressing on your salad.

44. Gina J

May 10, 2014 at 5:42 pm

we use a Vitamix to pulverize everything, including the seeds of apples and greenery on strawberries, etc… this way we get ALL the nutrients, whereas juicing wastes all the fiber and lots of valuable nutrients. The only things we cannot throw in this kick ass blender are banana peels, citrus peels and melon rinds, oh and peach pits, etc.

45. Vidal

May 12, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hello, so it really isn’t about the calorie much anymore that is really interesting. I hear people say all the time that they eat what they want but when they exercise it’s all gone is this true?

• everythingandnothing

May 13, 2014 at 10:19 am

No. Eating certin foods will not help loosing weight. It all comes down to calories eaten, and calories burned to loose weight. If perfomence in a sport is your goal, then eating more (good cals) is the way to go. If you’re running a mile a day, seconds on the steak and eggs won’t help you; however if you’re running 3 miles a day, that is something different. Two diet tips. One no processed sugar, and two eat within the realm of your activity.
      Best

46. Marcia A. Newell-jones

May 13, 2014 at 7:33 am

I will try this diet. its definately within reason.

47. Larry Morrison

May 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Here’s a recipe for a great healthy green juice, mix in a blinder 2 bananas, 3 large chocolate bars, 1 cheese cake, pound of strawberry’s and a bag marsh mellows, drink the entire thing and you will turn green.

48. Leigh Hilderbrandt

May 13, 2014 at 3:54 pm

The best exercises are the ones that you’ll actually do.

49. jimbarola

May 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Well, there were more exercises but most are the ones you would have already thought about. Things like “high intensity training” and “crossfit” are programs that entail exercises but aren’t exercises in themselves. At least there were about six good exercise suggestions.

50. disigny

May 14, 2014 at 5:41 pm

How strange not to include the Best: Dancing, particularly , the real American Folk dance, older than the US : the Contra Dance.. as aerobic as you care to make it, and more sociable than “Speed Dating” as well.