Healthy Low Carb Mac And Cheese – ‘Cauliflower & Cheese’
Cauliflower & Cheese is a simple recipe that will get you the best of both worlds: low carbs, and mouth-watering tastiness.
Prep time is 20 minutes, while the cooking will last 1 hour and 15 minutes. Total: 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Let’s get crackin’!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Gouda cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, or as needed (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and grease the Dutch oven.
- Fill a steamer with water to just below the bottom of the steamer and bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam for about 5 minutes (or until slightly tender). Break cauliflower into bite-size pieces.
- In a Dutch oven place (in a layering manner): cauliflower, onion, mozzarella cheese, and Gouda cheese.
- Season with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper, then pour milk over cheese the layer. Cover the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then stir the mixture and sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.
- Continue baking for another 30 minutes (or until top is browned). Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
And Voilà! Your low carb version of mac and cheese is done. Bon Appétit.