10 Drinks You Should Never Drink Again

Iced-tea_mini

When you are thinking about how to modify your diet in an attempt to lose weight or boost your overall health, it is easy to overlook the contribution that can be made by drinks.

However, there are some drinks that are so shockingly bad for you that it is in your best interests to avoid them at all costs.

More often than not, the problem is excessive amounts of added sugar that cause dangerous spikes in blood pressure and contribute to weight gain, but some drinks are also surprisingly fatty.

Here are 7 drinks that you should never drink again.

#1 Iced tea

Iced tea is an extremely attractive option on a hot day, and it may look like a healthier alternative to sugary sodas. In addition, iced green teas are commonly selected by dieters who have heard that drinking green tea can aid weight loss. However, the cons of drinking iced tea will dramatically outweigh the pros, so iced tea is not the smart choice that it may be appear to be.

The most popular brands of iced tea contain at least 250 calories per serving, and you will be disappointed to learn that many of them contain even more sugar than you would expect to find in most sodas.

Most iced teas will provide you with around 60g of sugar, so drinking just a few servings of iced tea each week can pose a serious obstacle to fitness and weight loss.

Enjoy Your Tea like a Royal!

Instead of buying iced tea, try making your own. If you do add any sugar, make sure it is a small amount of unrefined (i.e. brown) sugar, and slowly reduce the amount until you are used to drinking it with no sugar at all. Alternatively, experiment with making water tastier and more refreshing by adding a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.

262 Comments

1. Antony Clements

November 8, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Mixed drinks… yes alcohol has a high calorie count, but more importantly it dehydrates your body in an extreme way. For every glass of alcohol you should be drinking a glass of nutrient enriched water to compensate against the dehydrating effects of alcohol. Alcohol also degrades into a compound called acetaldehyde, which is derived from the first stage metabolism of ethanol. Acetaldehyde is a highly carcinogenic compound.

• spookiewon

November 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm

And yet, wine and beer also have positive health benefits, in moderation.

November 13, 2013 at 5:22 am

You can get the same health benefits from drinking non-alcoholic plant based beverages, with the added bonus that it doesn’t dehydrate you or have the carcinogenic compounds that come with drinking an alcoholic beverage.
        Wine for example, is apart from the ethanol content, chemically the identical to grape juice. It’s the ethanol in the beverage not the beverage itself, remove the ethanol and you’re home free.

• YesSeriously

November 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm

You might get the same health benefits from the non-alcoholic plant based beverages but the alcoholic ones have other desirable effects. Personally I don’t drink alcohol expecting that it is going to improve my health!

November 21, 2013 at 12:33 am

Desirable effects like not knowing what you got up to the night before?

• Ruth Coffman Breedlove

November 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm

it’s been proven, a small glass of red wine helps stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer’s. I don’t drink it every night, but 2-3Xs/wk I will have a small 4-5 oz glass of red wine. it’s not going to kill me, nor cause me to be a drunk.

November 29, 2013 at 7:53 am

Non-alcoholic red grape juice gives you the exact same anti-oxidants and has the exact same risk reduction of Alzheimer’s. Alcohol is bad for you no matter how you look at it. If you value your health don’t drink alcohol.

• Flora

December 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

it’s also bad for your health to obsess about everything you can or can not eat/drink. I’d rather live ten years shorter but had a lot of fun and lived careless than die at 120 without ever letting go.

• we r skrood

December 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

You are obviously in your 20`s or 30`s. A truly healthy lifestyle is ‘ a lot of fun ‘ , in itself . Frankly the greatest benefit to living an informed lifestyle is comparing oneself to those who don`t ‘ obsess ‘ over what they consume .

• Bill Braski

January 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

One of the greatest benefits is comparing yourself to others who don’t live like you? How very deep and meaningful.

• Muhre

December 21, 2013 at 5:47 am

Sounds like you have an alcoholic in our life.

• Linda30

January 12, 2014 at 10:34 pm

My aunt got several large bottles of alcohol form friends of hers at her 100th birthday party, and confided that she had a drink every evening before dinner. At 100, she was still doing crossword puzzles, and was quite sharp. She passed away a couple pf months prior to her 102nd birthday.

• jellytots

May 18, 2014 at 8:41 pm

But alcohol makes putting up with people like you a little more bearable

May 23, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Doesn’t change the fact that drinking alcohols (beer, whiskey, bourbon etc.) contain ethanol and that the first stage metabolite of ethanol, acetaldehyde, is a carcinogenic compound.

2. Paul W

November 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm

If you order the unsweetened iced tea in restaurants, and make sure it’s the fresh-brewed kind and not the on-tap, you’re fine.

• Leche Con Kelly

February 6, 2014 at 9:23 pm

what’s on-tap iced tea?

3. JohgnZHills

November 8, 2013 at 10:05 pm

We sweeten with Splenda

• Alissa

November 24, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Splenda is one of the worst things you can put into your body. It turns to formaldehyde in your body and actually makes it harder to lose fat/weight. Aspartame is not good for you, at all.

• Frank

January 23, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Splenda is sucralose, which does not turn into formaldehyde in your body. Aspartame (“Equal”) contains methanol which is metabolized into formaldehyde by the liver. I think you might be mixing your sweeteners.

• MimiB

December 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

Try using stevia… it’s made from a plant, not chemicals.

• we r skrood

December 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm

See above

4. Carol Morgan

November 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm

The author needs to proofread prior to pubishing:

“look out for” means to be wary of

“look for” is the term he or she should have used.

I’d add to be wary of “diet” anything, including hot chocolate.

• jellytots

May 18, 2014 at 8:35 pm

You should take your own advice , ” pubishing ” is not a word .

5. HughdePayens

November 13, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Good advice to avoid sugar…silly to avoid fat. Eat eggs, meat, fish and some green vegetables every day and be young again. Just got back from Disney World and it was depressing to see how many fat children are running around with their fat parents. Take a look at pictures with groups of people in them from before 1900 and you will be hard pressed to find one fat person…take a picture of a group of people at Disney and you will be hard pressed to find one skinny person.

• Paul W

December 3, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Part of the issue is that back in the day, the way to socialize was to go out for a game of pickup baseball or something else active. In my day, it wasn’t uncommon for me to go bowling or to play ultimate frisbee. Nowadays, though, kids are tethered to facebook.

• meyati

January 22, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Often they come home to an empty house, and need to stay in for safety reasons-like not being kidnapped or molested, bit by a dog or run over-not being bullied-or being exposed to drugs and alcohol-things like that- Most kids are pretty good- help clean house-watch the younger kids. I had 16 year old male students that cooked for their moms, and were true “man of the house’. But they get fat. I was cooking when I was 10.

May 23, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Also of note that a child is in more danger from people they know than from strangers, so the kidnapping and being molested point you make is almost entirely moot. Drugs and alcohol though, are a result of being bored because no one provides anything for growing teenagers to do other than sit at home drinking alcohol or take ilicit drugs.

May 23, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Bad advice to avoid sugar, if you remove sugar from your diet you are damaging your body. Period. Do some research on Adenosine triphosphate or ATP for short, it is the molecule that provides energy to your cells, and is derived from sugar. Some sugars are easier to break down into ATP than others, but the end result of all natural sugars is the breakdown into ATP. That is why when you have a glucose heavy food stuff you get an energy boost. It’s not a bad thing, it’s when you eat sugars and then don’t burn it off it gets converted into lipids, or as the common man would say, fat. Though not all fats are bad either. Some fats are required by the body to function correctly, though to much is bad for you. It comes back to having a balanced diet that is tailored around your activity level.

• barnfly

February 3, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Processed sugar is the culprit. You can avoid that and get sugar from fruits and veggies. A roasted sweet potato carmelizes nicely in the oven because of its sugar content(so do onions) mmm. . .

February 5, 2015 at 3:17 am

You take raw sugar cane and turn it into sugar granules. that’s processed, and it’s still used by the body in either form with no ill effects. Same with roasting a sweet potato, it’s still a process that changes the sugar content from one form of sugar to another, so your statement of processed sugar is a bit misleading. Natural sugar, in any form, gets broken down into ATP, some forms of sugar take longer to break down than others, but it’s still broken down eventually. A sprinter wants lots of short chain saccharides for a rapid energy burst, such as glucose. A marathon runner wants lots of long chain saccharides to provide energy over a long period of time. One form of long chain saccharide is a carbohydrate. If you are a lazy bum that sits around doing nothing, you don’t want a diet that has a lot of long chain saccharides otherwise it gets converted to lipids and you end up morbidly obese. Again it comes down to having a diet tailored to your activity level.

January 7, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Blah, let them go on and do what they want. It makes it easier to get through life when you all you have in your way is sweat hogs and high school grads.

• HughdePayens

January 9, 2015 at 12:18 am

Point taken…heh.

6. ray_worth

November 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Give yourself time to get accustomed to plain ice tea and you will never go back to sweet tea.

• Ruth Coffman Breedlove

November 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm

not true. I have a friend that has tried & tried & tried for YEARS to give up sweetened tea, & she just can NOT drink it. Now, me, on the other hand, LOVES unsweetened tea now, can’t drink it if it’s sweetened, makes me gag.

• sethhall

December 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Therefore true, surely?

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Why doesn’t she just quit drinking tea? Geesh . . .

February 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I will answer that for you. We drink tea because we can’t drink Soda and while many of us have tried just drinking water, plain water (at least for me) has a stripping effect on the mouth leaving it dryer than before you drank the water in the first place. Now I am not talking about the occasional bottle of water, I am talking about total switch to just water. I found that adding something to water even if it is just a small amount leaves just enough of a residue in your mouth to keep the saliva in a residual state.

There is no way that statement is going to fly on here. (my statement..I mean)

May 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm

if your saliva is in a residue state you’re likely dehydrated.

February 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

The thing I love about Tea is it is so flexible in its constitution, I can make it weak or strong, sweet or just lightly sweet and it is still good. I have never bothered to cut down on the sweetness because I use Splenda…but now I am reading that Splenda does have some calories after all, just lower than the amount legally required to call it “No Calorie” So I guess I should start working my way down to plain ol Tea.

• kevinh1

April 26, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Read up on Splenda, you’l throw what you have away and never buy any product containing it again.

April 28, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I lowered my A1C from an 8.9 to a current level of 6.2 and it keeps getting lower, I expect this year to start reducing the amount of medicine I take and maybe even control my blood sugar without the need for medication at all. So while I am sure there are some negatives associated with Splenda, at this point the good outweigh the bad for me. Perhaps when I get my A1C to a normal level, without meds then I can start lowering the amount of splenda I put into my tea. So I will not read up on Splenda because at this point I really have to place the affects that diabetes has on my body vs some of the side affects of Splenda…I suspect that maintaining my blood sugar will win decision making process. And just FYI the first hit I received on a google search was a Snopes article countering much of the fallacies associated with Splenda. But thank you for making me aware that Splenda is not the save all I had hoped it would be but rather a means to control my blood sugar levels.

May 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Sucralose is the culprit in splenda, it is a chemically altered sucrose, which is a type of sugar.

7. Jazz Hothi

November 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm

everyone just eat grass and bake the grass before you eat it. Nothing is healthy anymore lol

8. jk2001

November 18, 2013 at 5:52 am

Brown sugar is refined sugar with molasses added.

• Captain Mann

November 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm

That is mostly true, but you can find real brown sugar, which is unrefined sugar, if you look hard enough. That is the brown sugar the article is referring to. Once in a while I see little packets of it where coffee and tea are being offered. It’s more crystalized than the typical brown sugar you buy in the store.

• fourscoreandseven

December 3, 2013 at 6:40 am

You are referring to “raw” sugar which is a light brown color, (sort of a golden beige) and is lovely in hot tea. It is not refined.

I learned to use raw sugar for hot tea when I was in England; the packets came with our tea; now I buy it here; in the bulk aisle.

• kevinh1

April 26, 2014 at 8:23 pm

You’re referring to turbinado sugar, which is basically a lighter form of brown sugar. Sugar in the Raw is the most common brand name, and it’s no healthier than white sugar.

• run

January 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Jaggery, or gur, is a very good sweetener with nice depth to the flavor. Not inexpensive, but like alcohol, if you don’t use much you can afford the best.

9. ooooo

November 18, 2013 at 9:25 am

Cheeseburger milkshakes are a good way to lose weight

10. seriously

November 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Are people really buying that someone somewhere said a milkshake was healthy? And instead of saying “iced tea” is the bad choice, maybe say “Sweet tea.” You know, if you’re interested in truth at all.

• YesSeriously

November 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Where I’m from most people refer to “Sweat Tea” as “Iced Tea”. Anyway, nothing in this article comes as a surprise. People need to stop depending on marketers’ labels of “diet” and “healthy” and instead learn how to understand the nutrition labels instead.

• Keith Sharman

January 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Where I come from NO ONE refers to sweet tea as iced tea.

• Chris

January 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I stopped at Cracker Barrel once and the waitress asked “Would you like regular iced tea or unsweet?” My mom asked “Isn’t unsweet regular? Do you have to remove sugar from tea to make unsweet?”

• karen

January 24, 2014 at 12:11 am

Chris, you obviously stopped at a CB in the south. Down here it’s almost a sin to drink it without sugar. For many yrs. you couldn’t get it unsweet at a restaurant. Nowadays they make it up special for the “yankees”. 🙂

• Max

January 28, 2014 at 2:10 am

So ice tea makes some Creationists? I learned something on the internet!

• jamezb

February 2, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I live in the South, and have always drank tea unsweetened. When iced tea is served at local restaurants, sugar is generally provided on the side for those who wish to add it. This prevents the restaurants from having to make two separate batches.

• Leche Con Kelly

February 6, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Actually most restaurants serve sweet and unsweet. The reason they don’t give sugar on the side is solid sugar doesn’t dissolve into cold liquids. The sugar has to be added prior to the ice being added.

May 29, 2014 at 7:19 pm

True about sugar not dissolving very well in cold liquid, but most of the time even cold I usually get enough sweetness to take the edge off. Plus I get the sugar rush when I put my straw down to the bottom. Zoom Zoom. Well I used to put sugar now it is splenda but same effect. So your user name translated is Milk and Kelly?

• Terminator

April 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm

You may live in the South but you are either a yankee or you are young and live in tourist area.

• Demetria

April 20, 2014 at 4:22 am

Yeah,lived on the south and that tea was misery amongst so much of the south. SO glad the day I left.

• Theresa Bates

March 10, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I dunno, I’m a Southerner and I drink my iced tea “unsweet.” I drink my hot tea that way, too, even though it’s supposed to be a sin to drink hot tea in the South. Ummm, can anyone say “stereotype?”

• soscout1

April 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm

i grew up down here in the south and I have never liked sweet tea ( guess my family are freaks LOL )

May 29, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I have to admit I am thinking about stair stepping myself off the use of sweetener in tea. Even the so called “no calorie” sweeteners actually have calories because of the bulking agents they use. I hate that all you have to do to legally call something no calorie is to make sure the calorie amount is less than 5 calories. per whatever unit of measure they use. Anyway your family are not freaks, they are probably healthy which of course in our distorted society makes them freaks…go figure.

• Devin_MacGregor

January 24, 2014 at 1:11 am

That is probably because of the label diet iced tea. I first saw it and had that WTF then realized oh unsweetened is more letters and would cost them more than to just put diet. But I would imagine that some might think tea or water has sugar not that you add sugar to them.

• disqus_rAILIde2hh

February 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm

“Diet” iced tea has artificial sweeteners. Usually it is extremely sweet. If you want unsweetened tea, look for unsweetened tea.

May 29, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Agreed, diet usually means it has artificial sweeteners added. But unsweetened tea would be diet by most definitions….strange.

• Lynn G

February 4, 2014 at 12:04 am

Diet iced tea is tea with an artificial sweetener added to it.

• Mrhycannon

March 7, 2014 at 4:53 am

I suspect people will choose diet tea over unsweetened because they don’t stop to think about it.. Some may even think diet has fewer calories than unsweetened..

May 29, 2014 at 7:26 pm

And they would be wrong. Even sweeteners like Splenda actually has calories…just below the limit needed to call it “no calorie”

• Theresa Bates

March 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Bottled or canned diet iced tea has artificial sweetener in it. If it has no sweetener at all, it’s labeled “unsweetened” tea.

• pbrower2a

January 28, 2014 at 5:11 am

You must be a [email protected] In the South, iced tea tastes much like a soda.

• Bixby

January 29, 2014 at 5:49 am

Which also turns them & their children/grandchildren into fat, obese ugly Americans…who also can’t abide anything resembling facts…except those 20% of you that know.

May 29, 2014 at 7:36 pm

You know I hate blind insults but I suspect you might be right, even if you don’t actually know you are. Both of my kids have lost a dramatic amount of weight ever since I removed Soda Pop from the Fridge. Of course locking them in a closet and not feeding them might have also helped with the weight loss. (Hopefully you have a sense of humor)…wink wink.

• jamezb

February 2, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Not in the South I live in… it is a mistake to lump everyone in a geographic area spanning thousands of miles together in an assumption.

• Sue Walker Van Dee

March 12, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I’m a damm proud yankee thank you very much

• reenietta

April 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Well, you cain’t help it, Hon. . . (just kidding)

May 29, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Wow, I have been alive for 53 years and I can’t say that I have ever tasted tea that resembled soda pop in flavor. Unless by chance you happen to come across carbonated iced tea….if there is such a thing.

• Katrina

January 30, 2014 at 9:57 pm

In Canada we call it Iced Tea… it’s a brand name by Nestle.

• Minna

March 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Yup. Last road trip was through Canadian Rockies. Drank hot tea at breakfast-no problem. Ordered iced tea for dinner and the waitress brings fountain Iced Tea [awful stuff] I didn’t want to get into the whole bag +hot water+ice thing.
        Loved the maple tea-brought home boxes and boxes of bags.Had it the first time at the Plain of 6 Glaciers tea house.
        What’s with the Clamato juice everywhere? Minna

• kevinh1

April 26, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Instant tea is not tea anymore than instant coffee is coffee, this isn’t Europe.

• garyhope

May 18, 2014 at 6:56 pm

“any more”

May 29, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I find instant tea to be the most horrible version of tea I have ever drank. Taste nothing like tea. I have been drinking tea exclusively for about a year now and I have my tea shipped from the U.K. to here in California because I figured the Brits were pretty much experts on tea. But at the end of the day, I do love my Lipton Tea…it has a very specific black tea flavor that I love. I just love to try the teas of the world. You can keep the green tea…has a horrible after smell and taste.

February 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I must be missing something because it was my understanding that it does not become Iced Tea until you add Ice and it does not become sweet tea until you sweeten it. Otherwise it is just Tea. I don’t see why folks had to turn this into a locality war. My kid laughed at me the other day and said I was really showing my age when I said “Soda Pop” I am sure that depending on where you live and how many fathers you have (Our 4 fathers…LOL) it can be called Soda, Soda Pop, Coke or soft drink….phhhht get over it folks.

• Charlie Sommers

February 7, 2014 at 10:08 pm

All my military friends who hailed from “Bawstin” always called it “tonic.”

May 1, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I do remember stuff called tonic water which I think is simply bitter carbonated water….I guess if you add sugar and other flavoring it does effectively become soda….Man the years do go by.

• Stephen Maro

May 27, 2014 at 5:21 pm

FYI, Tonic water often (and originally) contains quinine!

• garyhope

August 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm

And is meant to be mixed with either gin or vodka. It’s much healthier and good for you that way.

• Stephen Maro

May 27, 2014 at 5:20 pm

lol, you forgot, it can also just be called “pop” like in Ohio.

• Mark S

April 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I have been drinking iced tea my entire life. When I was about 12, we got invited to dinner by a friend of my Mom’s. There was a pitcher of tea on the table. Itook a sip, and had to quietly ask my Mom what the brown stuff was. It was sweetened tea. Couldn’t even finish that one glass. I drink iced tea practically every day. Never put sugar in it. It ruins the flavor, and it’s thirst quenching ability.

• barnfly

February 3, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Exactly! I thought I was the only one who thought sweetened tea did not quench thirst as well. Now add some fresh lemon, and THAT’s refreshing!

• James

January 25, 2014 at 7:22 pm

How about just “sweetened iced tea”?

• Lady Cyn Aptic

February 10, 2014 at 11:29 am

Totally agree with ignoring labels of “healthy” and etc… personally when I want iced tea I brew some tea, put it in the fridge in a pitcher, and sweeten it with a few drops of organic liquid stevia and a squeeze of lemon. Stevia is the only natural (it’s a plant) calorie free sweetener.

• plain Jane

May 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I usually just have water at a restaurant. Make my tea to suit myself at home

January 7, 2015 at 6:26 pm

That is probably because what they try to pass as Iced Tea can be some pretty horrid stuff to drink. Once you start making your own tea at home it is hard to drink tea from other sources. I have learned that boiling the tea bags makes the batch last much longer in the fridge. Sun Tea just seems to go bad faster.

February 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Bingo, you nailed it. Straight to the point. Vote up from me.

• garyhope

May 18, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I find it hilarious that people drink a “milkshake” with meals since a milkshake is nothing but ice cream and milk. I guess the “Steak ‘n Shake” restaurant chain wouldn’t do so well if they were called “Ice Cream ‘n Meat”. Would you like some fries with your ice cream and meat?

• Michele Beckett

May 27, 2014 at 3:10 am

Once in a while you can have a treat but to drink sugar all day long was something many grow up with. Now we have facts, parents are still letting the crap in their homes.
      Make your own teas, shakes, etc….
      Tea,,,,learn to drink them straight and enjoy the actual tea leaf… Faddist talk about good coffee what do they put in coffee flavor, sugar etc…they know coffee? Same with Tea…enjoy tea as tea, perhaps a slice of fresh fruit but nothing more. Logic

January 7, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I am slowly reducing the amount of Splenda I put into my tea, trying to get down to the point where I can actually enjoy the tea without any sweetners. Not there yet but at least we got rid of the Soda in the house. We now treat ourselves occasionally to a soda when we go out but at home we tow the healthy line. Or at least stay aware of what we are putting into our bodies.

• Mrhycannon

June 23, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Milk, eggs are good for you..
      If you have a tooth pulled a milkshake with a straw is great to stop the bleeding..

• bilzfanbob

September 16, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Never use a straw after an extraction ….the sucking action will dislodge the clotting going on at the extraction site and cause dry socket….

January 7, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Yep, unfortunately you are right. The logic might be sound enough but the risk to getting a dry socket are too great to risk. And if you have ever had a dry socket you know how much they hurt for a very long time.

• barnfly

February 3, 2015 at 9:25 pm

-except the dentist should have told you that sucking on a straw after having a tooth pulled can give you a dry socket. And you thought the bad tooth was painful!

• Mrhycannon

February 4, 2015 at 8:49 pm

“A” milkshake.. The icy drink helps blood coagulate.. If there’s not a lot of bleeding the cold, thick drink still helps pain and makes a kid feel better.. I have used this method for myself and many others with good results.. It was suggested by a dentist.. Bleeding is much more of a problem than dry sockets.. I have heard that dry sockets are quite painful but have no first-hand experience with it..

• Mrhycannon

February 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

It Could but it is a very rare occurrence.. I don’t know anyone who has had a dry socket.. I do know several people who have had milkshakes after tooth extraction..

11. jack black

November 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

no mention of soda though

• Captain Mann

November 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Well, the article is focusing on foods (and drinks) that are mostly considered “healthy” for you, so there would be no reason to include soda, ice cream, pancakes, etc.. However, your comment brings up a good point, which is that sodas are, indeed, very bad for you.

12. Alissa

November 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Some smoothies may have 350 calories in them but you’re supposed to have a smoothie as a meal replacement. They usually have 2-3 servings of fruit, at least, as well as nuts and GOOD FATS. It’s not about counting calories, or the notion that fat=fat. There are good fats and bad fats

• Ruth Coffman Breedlove

November 26, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I have smoothies all the time for breakfast. My liquid base is 1/2 c. unsweetened green tea, then 3/4 cup of fruit (I usually do a mixed berry medly), 1/2 of a banana, 1/2 T. ground flax seed, 3/4 c. REAL Greek yogurt, & about 8 drops of raspberry/chocolate flavored stevia (all natural sweetener I get @ Whole Foods, 0 cals, 0 sugars). Total cals, 250 cals! So it could be used for a mid-afternoon snack, too.

• Bryan Hall

November 30, 2013 at 4:59 am

careful with that stevia it can lower your blood pressure or even cause it to drop to unsafe levels

• Hope Childress Neudert

December 13, 2013 at 9:10 pm

It really takes VERY little Stevia to sweeten anything. Over using it will make things taste SUPER bitter. A couple drops a day should be fine for most people.

• we r skrood

December 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I took stevia for tears and at one point found that I was dizzy upon rising in the morning with a headache . No doctor was able to uncover a problem ; one morning it hit me ; I stopped the stevia and a day later it all subsided. I gave up sugar 25 years ago and now it`s the same for stevia . One other substitution that I feel may cut down on inflammation . Ginger instead of pepper.

• Stacey

January 26, 2014 at 2:56 am

Sounds great, minus the Stevia. ;o)

13. LightishRedArmor

November 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

I find it funny that my alcoholic friends will grill me about drinking to much energy drinks and how they’re bad for my health

• muhre

December 21, 2013 at 6:02 am

I find it amusing that my “healthy” friends put fake food in their bodies all the time (artificial sweeteners, margarine, “low fat” or “diet” anything, soy milk?… how processed is that?). EAT REAL FOOD!

14. Matt

November 29, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Calories are GOOD! I excersise and use mine up. They’re only bad if you’re a lazy lard arse.

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:21 pm

That’s not necessarily true. Thin people who exercise also risk death from common American diseases related to the over-consumption of animal products.

• Emma Brown

January 29, 2014 at 4:20 am

An “over-consumption” of ANYTHING can kill you…

• nitestar95

January 29, 2014 at 1:41 pm

There is no evidence of that. There are no studies showing that animal products cause disease. It’s a belief started way back in the 60’s, yet never proven. No? Show me the controlled studies which prove the theory; it will be difficult, because there are none. All the studies are done ‘after the fact’, but ignore people who eat bad things yet don’t get sick, because it would screw up their theory!

15. Allen

December 2, 2013 at 2:16 am

Just a thought, but instead of freaking out about sugar, fat, and calories, maybe you should exercise. Honestly, it’s ridiculous. I hear all the time “Oh, it’s got too many calories for my diet” or “I want some candy, but it’s going to make me fat.” First off, it takes many, many calories to actually lead to a pound of body fat, at least 3,555 calories.

Second, working out and exercising are the real weight loss tools. I use to be overweight, large, pudgy, but after one summer of swimming and running around with friends, I was at a healthy weight again. Now I consistently workout every day. I can say from experience, doing one set of 7 at 275 on the squat rack probably burns more calories in that minute that any diet alone can burn in a week, or maybe even two.

If anyone feels they want to start a rewarding workout plan email me at [email protected] tell me what you are looking for in a work out and I can assemble a regime for you no problem. **Not spam; I am willing to do this for anyone at no cost to anyone**

16. fourscoreandseven

December 3, 2013 at 7:20 am

My farmer relatives lived to be very old, and they ate real food, in moderate portions. Meat, milk, potatoes, bread, vegetables, ice cream, cake, pies, cookies, bacon, sausage, eggs, and pancakes. Summer added watermelon and root beer floats.
    They wouldn’t have touched that weird stuff from the health food stores (looks and smells too much like what they fed the cows). A milk shake is milk and ice cream. Common sense is the answer; not “stevia” or “sylvia” or “samantha.”

They worked hard and they ate “sensible servings,” their lives did not revolve around recipes, or fast food, and then ways to diet. Dieting was unheard of; since anyone who “dieted” had specific health problems. Now, people “pretend” they are allergic to gluten; dumbest thing in the world.

We had small bowls of pudding or ice cream for dessert; kids today would want three. We only ate at meal times, except for a snack after school, and we always had to eat breakfast. Food was not a reward or a punishment; it was nourishment and mother and grandmother and our aunts made it as good as they could; they wanted us to eat, for our health’s sake. It was not an obsession.

• Barbara Bowman

January 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Actually, it is likely that gluten sensitivity is due to hybridization of grains. They are no longer real food. Eating ancient grains is a possible solutions. But it isn’t the “dumbest thing in the world.”

• kevinh1

April 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

All grains are “hybridized”, it’s called selective breeding. The corn our Paleolithic ancestors first cultivated looks nothing like the sleek grain we eat today.

• Barbara Bowman

August 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm

That’s right. But the result of the selective breeding has resulted in empty carbs and starches. The ancient grains that are eaten in other parts of the world and are making a comeback here have nutritional value and do not make people sick. we have been taught that unnatural food is natural and if your body doesn’t like it you have a disease. All these food “allergies” are the body crying for balanced, varied and authentic nourishment.

• Gary

May 13, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Barbara, can anyone say/write any superlative now days for emphasis without someone having to come out and critic its use? No one in the world knows what the dumbest thing in the world is.

• Barbara Bowman

August 17, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Yea, thanks for making my point.

• Diane Short Lake

January 9, 2014 at 11:21 pm

What you don’t realize is that many people are allergic to gluten. The gluten your farmer relatives ate 40 yrs ago is NOT the same gluten we are eating today. With genetically modified food being the normal today, it is no wonder that we have some many of our young people with food allergies. I do agree with you that moderation is the key to controlling weight and overall heathiness. I wish we could go back to the food our ancestors ate, but modern science has ruined that for us.

• RedHead0186

January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

There’s a difference between a gluten allergy and a gluten intolerance/sensitivity. Not many (many being a relative term here) people have a gluten allergy, but gluten intolerance/sensitivity is much more common

• Stacey

January 26, 2014 at 2:54 am

I have yet to meet a poor, starving person with a gluten allergy. Come to think of it, I haven’t met a poor “starving” person. I have, however, met MANY overweight but severely malnourished poor people.

There are a few individuals with legitimate gluten and peanut allergies. The rest of the population just loves being difficult and haveing concessions constantly made for them.

• DLM

February 13, 2014 at 3:30 am

Some people, like myself, have Celiacs disease, a genetic autoimmune disorder that causes our immune system to attack our other organs in response to a specific gluten protein. It’s not an allergy or a sensitivity. It’s a very severe disorder that cannot be faked and is diagnosed through blood testing and biopsies. It is also extremely rare.

I’ve met plenty of people who have claimed to have a “gluten-intolerance” or allergy and then watched them toss a cracker in their mouths. The only thing good about the bandwagon gluten-intolerant is that their complaining means I now actually have some better food options. Even still, it’s irritating.

• Mrhycannon

March 7, 2014 at 4:59 am

Fat poor people are mostly the result of poor eating habits.. Most people don’t know how to really cook any more..

• garyhope

May 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I think much of fatness and overweight is an emotional disorder. I think people overeat and eat the wrong foods because they are depressed, anxious, bored, stressed out, lonely and afraid etc. Food is a drug. I think processed food is cleverly designed to make you crave certain foods and to keep eating or unable to stop eating.

Food is a business in this country and not just for food or nourishment. It’s a huge money making business. It’s amazing how much food and restaurants or fast food outlets there are in this country. Food is EVERYWHERE in this country. Every 50 feet. Probably the majority of “food” in most supermarkets is some type of processed food. Produce, fruits and vegetables are probably still among the lower cost foods in most supermarkets (but still too expensive in my opinion).

• Mrhycannon

August 23, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Also, fattening foods are often cheaper..

• South_Texas_MF

January 29, 2016 at 3:00 am

no they aren’t moron. Potatoes, beans, brocolli, tomatoes, carrots, cellery, lettuce, onions, rice, ect are all super cheap. Anyone who says eating healthy is expensive is clueless.

• Mrhycannon

September 15, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Absolutely right.. Notice the fast-food joints sell cheaper and higher calorie meals than others..

• Monsanto Causescancer

March 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Real food is expensive is this country. Processed garbage (many of which contains gluten) food is cheap, sits on shelves forever, & makes companies billions of dollars. That is the main reason that our country is the fattest on earth & our health costs are through the roof. Many blame a certain political party & the joke is on all of you, because both parties are corrupt & they laugh at us bickering between ourselves. Take campaign contributions & parties out of the equation & then political reform can begin, until then we are ALL the but of political jokes.

• Cliven

February 28, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Scurvy is apparently oft misdiagnosed as a gluten allergy.

A gluten allergy is flavor of the month for fashionable diseases.

• Monsanto Causescancer

March 17, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Look at the foods that gluten is often found in & taking those foods out of anyone’s diet will help them be healthier. Maybe you can be healthy eating bread, pasta, soy sauce, etc. but those foods are better left out of our diets or used rarely.

• ralph

May 13, 2014 at 10:23 am

Actually, gluten is found in many very healthy foods, like whole wheat and barley. Avoiding gluten just because you think it is healthy is a bad thing. If you are truely gluten intolerant, then you have to avoid it. The rest of us should not.avoid glutenous foods.

• Monsanto Causescancer

March 17, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Modern science hasn’t ruined it, political corruption has allowed our food, water, & air supplies to be polluted. There are such things as “modern scientist” who actually care about the health of our planet & haven’t been bought & paid for by billion dollar chemical companies. The problem is their voices are crushed by the greed of others more powerful.

• kevinh1

April 26, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Gluten is gluten, regardless of when the grain was grown, chemically identical. There is zero reputable evidence that GMO foods have ever harmed anyone, stop patronizing the Mother Earth News website. Less than 1/10 of 1% of the US population has Celliac Disease, and gluten allergies have been grossly overstated.

• Phil

May 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Gluten is NOT gluten. The gluten in teff, a grain commonly used in Ethiopian cuisine does not contain the a-gliadin-fraction that causes a reaction in those with celiac disease.

• garyhope

May 18, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thank you.

• Monsanto Causescancer

May 29, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Obviously you have not paid any attention to the health of this country over the past 50 years if you actually believe that, or you work for one of the thousands of companies that have trashed our food supply all in the name of the ” almighty dollar”

• jj

January 9, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Just FYI- Stevia is a natural plant.

• Carrie Kapow Shelton

January 11, 2014 at 3:28 am

but the stevia in stores is NOT raw stevia, no matter what the bag says. i grow stevia and put powdered stevia leaf in my tea and it is GREEN.

• Michael Piston

January 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Stevia tastes ever sweeter than sugar. I put it one time in some coffee and was absolutely disgusted. Never again

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I don’t know. My dad died a couple years ago at the age of 92 and enjoyed remarkable health until he got hit by a car at the age of eighty-nine. Prior to that, he was averaging 15000 steps a day on his pedometer. He was raised on a farm and ate a similar diet to what you mention and continued throughout his life, although I will say he ate smaller portions than people eat now and did consume a lot of home-grown veggies and fruits. Interestingly, though, his brother and three sisters died quite young, fifties to seventies, of various ailments common to Americans. My Dad was always a walker and I guess that’s what kept him alive. As president of a company, his job was fairly sedentary.

I certainly agree with you about mealtimes. We didn’t constantly eat. Popcorn while watching TV was an occasional snack and sometimes we had a root beer float. Someone had to go buy those ingredients because they weren’t generally found in the house. We never had to eat anything but meals were served at certain times and we could eat or not as we saw fit. I think my mom would have allowed us to eat between meals, but we were always to busy playing and had to be called in!

February 6, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I suspect that if everyone in the world thought like you, we would be a better, healthier society. I will simply say that those were the days. But I also admit that self discipline aside, I do like what society has to offer but without the healthy discipline we are in trouble.

• Anna

February 6, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Everything you say makes sense except the part about people pretending to be allergic to gluten. Many people have drastically improved their health by cutting out gluten. A lot of people genetically can’t digest gluten very well. Good for you and your family if you could. This is not a fad so much as a great health discovery. Plus wheat today isn’t what it used to be, nor is milk. What’s making people sick today is all the hybrid foods such as wheat, which contains a ton more gluten than the bread you grew up with. And if you had raw milk straight form the cow, of course you could enjoy milk and ice cream. Eat pure and natural, which means no pasteurized homogenized milk, no hybridized wheat, and no animals injected with hormones and antibiotics. That’s what you probably had growing up – all fresh and natural foods (except for the root beer). Most people today don’t eat like that, and have to research and get educated to figure out how to make their diets more natural. But with all the processed food being pushed at us, full of MSG and other additives that are proven to make people obese and addicted, it’s no wonder people are sick and fat.

• garyhope

May 18, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Are we related? LOL. Sounds like my family and upbringing. Probably half the stuff we ate was cooked in bacon grease too.

Everybody I knew growing up was skinny (except for one friend and I don’t know what his problem was, both his parents and brother were skinny.)

• barnfly

February 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Didn’t you ever get sent to bed without supper when you were bad?There can be a carrot and stick component. How about Pink Floyd-“you can’t have any pudding until you eat your meat”? Jes’ sayin”

17. fourscoreandseven

December 3, 2013 at 7:23 am

There is an old joke in two parts:

First question: What does a thin person eat when they want a piece of cake?

Answer: A piece of cake.

Second question: What does a fat person eat when they want a piece of cake?

Answer: A pound of raw carrots and a piece of cake.

• toadstool

February 7, 2014 at 2:19 am

Right, my 27 yr old niece is what they now call a “large” person. In other words she’s FAT. She buys bags of chips & Doritos, Hostess things, candy, etc. every day and to wash it all down a Coke Zero cal. because she’s “trying to lose weight” It’s pathetic, plus she smokes, gets no exercise and watches tv all day. Oh by the way, she’s a full-time college student.
      When I remind her how unhealthy her lifestyle is she sighs and says “I know, I’m trying.” She’s not.

• toadstool

February 7, 2014 at 2:21 am

I think these days the answer to the second question would more likely be “A cake.”

18. Paul W

December 3, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Wow, they neglected to mention that conventional brewed Iced tea (whether from a restaurant or the store) doesn’t have any calories. Only if you buy it bottled, canned, or flavored does it have any.

May 23, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Every food stuff has calories.

19. Michael McLaughlin

December 3, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Who in tarnation puts salt in their hot chocolate anyway?

• Living Life

December 12, 2013 at 12:04 am

lots of people. salt enhances the flavor of chocolate (like it does with most things). Almost all chocolate you get in restaurants has a touch of salt added.

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm

The same ones who salt their watermelon.

20. davidawg

December 5, 2013 at 5:07 am

Not all energy drinks are bad. Why do these authors group things together. I drink XS Energy every day. 0 calories and 0 carbs.

May 23, 2014 at 10:30 pm

0 added calories and 0 added carbs, they’re still there, plus the other ingredients. Energy drinks tend to have more caffeine than 10 cups of straight black coffee, and that is extremely bad.

21. Stella Jester

December 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

Its called moderation! jeezy creezy seriously…

22. spookiewon

December 6, 2013 at 3:05 am

ZOMG yes!! Every so-called drink on here contains hydrogen hydroxide, also known as dihydrogen monoxide or DHMO! This stuff KILLS!

• miserableoldfart

December 9, 2013 at 4:17 am

DMHO caused oxygen deprivation has killed many people throughout history, including everything on the entire planet not on the ark. Your warnings are well worth remembering.

• Zeit

January 20, 2014 at 10:34 pm

The worst part about DHMO is that its highly addictive. You’ll die in little over 3 days without any. The worst part is that its so prevalent, you can’t avoid it in the first place! Its been added to everything we eat and drink D:

• Concerned

January 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm

It’s a component of cigarette smoke and has been found in malignant tumors. I don’t know why DMHO hasn’t been banned.

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:27 pm

DMHO? You mean the stuff I used to use on my horse for soft tissue injuries? A by-product of the fuel industry?

• RK

March 20, 2014 at 1:52 pm

DHMO, otherwise known as dihydrogen monoxide, is water. H2O. Get it now?

23. Oline Wright

December 14, 2013 at 2:41 am

um just so you know there is a difference between Raw or unrefined sugar and brown sugar.

24. Otis Guelpe

December 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Eat whatever you want. You’re going to die anyway.

• Emma Brown

January 29, 2014 at 4:24 am

It’s the “living in misery” that most people who are watching what they eat are afraid of…not necessarily “dying”

25. AdmiralAkbar

December 15, 2013 at 6:22 pm

The stuff about flavoured water is bull, I’ve not seen any that haven’t been less than 10 calories per 2L bottle, and <1% sugar.

26. al

December 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm

yes we learn to emulate eating from parents, we trust parents.

27. elsieb66

December 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Fat is not your enemy. Sugar and processed foods are. And as for iced tea?! Drink WATER!

• we r skrood

December 29, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Even better , go for the alkaline water , which will help balance out the highly acidic lifestyle choices , which we make .

• Dude345

January 14, 2014 at 1:17 am

The alkaline water scam is a joke.

• KSchneider

January 28, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Or you could just stir in a little Drano…

• WesleyJKeller

January 13, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Or unsweetened Iced Tea… Skip the sugar all around

28. don'tgiveashit

December 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

This is bad for you,that is bad for you.I think I’ll eat what the hell I like.

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:23 pm

You absolutely should do that.

29. gizmo118

December 24, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Eating will kill you.

• maternatura

January 7, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Life will kill you.

30. fred

December 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm

seem bit pointless . just dont eat larage amount of one type of food. fullstops.

31. James Ramsey

January 6, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Not exactly earth shattering news……

32. maternatura

January 6, 2014 at 10:18 pm

When making hot chocolate in an 8 oz. mug I use two packages of sugar-free hot chocolate mix + one generous heaping teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa + one pinch of cayenne + one pinch of kosher salt. Then thoroughly mix dry ingredients. Add half of hot water and mix completely so that all ingredients are completely wet. Add rest of water to top of mug and stir. Yummy hot cocoa with a little kick!

33. aztecace

January 10, 2014 at 4:50 am

If you use fat free milk for your shakes, expect to be drinking more, since you won’t fill up as fast so you will end up consuming more calories in the end than if you used whole milk, the fat in whole milk will fill you up faster, plus the cholesterol in it passes more easily from the body than most other fats.

34. dan

January 14, 2014 at 1:25 am

So many experts, yet so many fat people.

35. Kevin

January 14, 2014 at 3:13 am

Perfect. Use unrefined sugar in your tea. You will lose upwards of 1lb of fat per serving through the amount stirring you will have to do in attempting to dissolve the sugar in a cold liquid.

36. RobRex2010

January 14, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Very simple solution…ACTUALLY read the Nutrition Facts on every package of food you buy. Learn this simple lesson…all fats are not created equal…there REALLY ARE fats that are good for you… even necessary. Are the carbohydrates SUGAR or Fiber?

37. Lucy Bonette

January 17, 2014 at 11:14 am

I always think it is funny that in America you have to ask for things to be unsweetened or unsalted, when in fact it should be the other way around. It sounds like they have to make an effort to extract the sweet from the drink. Tea has no sugar in it until you put it in there. So, it should be just “tea”, instead of having to specifically ask to not put sugar or sweetener in it. If you do want something in it, it becomes sweetened tea. Same with butter and saltened butter, instead of unsaltened butter.

• KSchneider

January 28, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Remember the old joke about tea?…an Englishman was talking about our American ways, he said “You Americans are daft, you boil water to make tea then you put ice in it…you put sugar in it to make it sweet and lemon to make it sour…and if someone belches he says “pardon me” but if he farts everyone laughs!”

• WhatUSaid?

March 5, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I think it is funny that in America we outlive you all and you’d give anything in the world to be here. Ha!

• jellytots

May 18, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Except we don’t outlive “you all “

• WhatUSaid?

May 22, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Except…that ‘we do’ indeed have the longest life span on the planet. Jellytots…

May 23, 2014 at 10:10 pm

You’re terribly misinformed if you think the US has the longest average lifespan of any country. That honour in fact goes to China.

May 23, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Actually you are mistaken, the US does not have the longest average lifespan of any nation, it is in fact one of the lowest. China has the distinction of having the highest average lifespan of it’s population. Nice lack of research there.

38. malkia

January 20, 2014 at 4:39 am

Why would one put sugar in tea, coffee or yogurt is beyond me!

39. acgacg

January 21, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Brown sugar is not unrefined. It is refined sugar with molasses added.

40. Pam

January 22, 2014 at 10:15 am

I just wanted to add regarding old photos of thin people in the 1900’s, is because they were starving the majority of the time! There were no supermarkets and you grew your meals. If the weather and/or infestations affected your crop, you
    had little to no food to eat. Also, families were big back then with 4 to 15 children. When they lived off the land, they starved and you were elderly by the time you were
    in your 30’s or 40’s, and most people did not live beyond their 40’s. So comparing
    people from the 1900’s and prior to todays standards are like comparing apples to
    oranges. Even when I grew up in the 1950’s, we were so poor I ate about every
    3 days, Myself and my 3 sisters were very thin in pictures too. We weren’t thin
    because we ate “right”. We were thin because we never had food.

• Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Oh, I don’t know. Both my parents grew up on farms and so were never hungry, even during the depression. No money, but they had food. No one was fat in the pictures. They didn’t pig out like we do today. I’m sixty, and I didn’t grow up on these huge portions of food or soft drinks. Certainly never saw people running around with huge containers of sweetened liquid. People hardly seem able to go anywhere without a beverage in their hand, even if it’s only water.

• jellytots

May 18, 2014 at 8:38 pm

If only we could all grow up on farms then we would have no problems

May 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Except that as time goes on, if you exclude longevity enhancement techniques such as medications etc, the average life expectancy has gone down because the population is larger, it’s far easier for people to get sick in the modern world than it was 100 or more years ago.

41. whyevenpost

January 24, 2014 at 5:47 am

Um, Tea is bad for you? Assine. When did tea become synonymous with sweetened teas? Tea is meant to be imbibe, and is by many, without sugar or other sweeteners. Tea is a great way to add flavor and, for those that believe, certain antioxidants. Teas that you buy in stores with names like Brisk or Arizona are little more than rebranded sodas. Blargh!

May 23, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Except that tea has caffeine and people die from issues that relate to caffeine consumption. Granted tea only has a miniscule amount of caffeine when compared to a coffee, but it’s still there.

42. FrFinbar2009

January 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Appropriate advice for those who until now have not been paying attention!

43. Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I guess if people won’t prepare their own foods, have no common sense and won’t or can’t read labels, they deserve what they get. Americans like fat, salt and sugar so that is what is marketed to them.

44. Runs With Poodles

January 26, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Starbucks, and all the other coffee houses, just sell sugar, salt and fat because that is what people want. Why would this surprise anyone?

45. pbrower2a

January 28, 2014 at 5:09 am

Anyone can make an appealing tea by putting a family-sized tea bag in a clear gallon jar full of water. It looks like whiskey but has none of the bad effects.

• KSchneider

January 28, 2014 at 9:18 pm

None of the good ones either. 😉

46. nitestar95

January 29, 2014 at 1:09 pm

none of the foods mentioned are unhealthy. All they are is high in calories. As long as you’re not overweight, they are perfectly healthy to eat. And fat content? Also, never proven to be unhealthy. There ARE NO STUDIES that prove high cholesterol or high fat diets cause heart disease or strokes. In fact, if you’re over 60, you are actually better off having a high cholesterol level. Don’t just take your doctor’s work, ask him to tell you of all the studies that prove you need to lower your cholesterol levels. Just ask him to write down the names of the studies, and google them. There’s only one, and it was paid for by the company that wants to sell you your lipitor. And that one? Shows if you take lipitor, you have a 0.1% less chance of heart attack. ZERO POINT ONE. Virtually no difference at all. Don’t believe everything they tell you.

47. Yarnoven

January 29, 2014 at 8:53 pm

This should say avoid SWEETENED iced tea. Unsweetened iced tea has zero calories.

May 23, 2014 at 10:21 pm

every food stuff has calories, sweetened or not. Calories are a unit of energy, every food stuff gives you energy on some level, it’s the added crap and overconsumption of food stuffs that causes the issues. The only exception to this rule is pure water, though I don’t know of any dietician that would call water a food stuff. I’m sure there is one somewhere though.

48. jamezb

February 2, 2014 at 11:07 pm

#1 should read “Pre-made or Bottled SWEET tea”..
    Unsweetened.iced tea, which is normally referred to simply as “iced tea”
    does not automatically contain, “at least 250 calories”,

49. Bleddyn

February 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Home Brewed Lipton Iced Tea with Splenda added for sweetness and I always keep a supply of lemon wedges handy in the Fridge. I brought my AIC down from 7.8 to 6.3 simply by replacing my Sodas with Splenda Iced Tea with Lemon. I have also dropped a few pounds as well. But of course Splenda can’t do all the work. I still have to watch my other eating habits as well….still working on that.

P.S. For those folks that are a stickler for accuracy, I called it Iced Tea because I actually add Ice when I pour it into a class and I sweeten it with Splenda so I guess I am drinking Sweetened Iced Tea.

50. Kely

February 14, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Iced tea is fine for you. Sweet tea is the problem, and everyone should know that considering the fact that the main ingredient is sugar