20 Healthy Foods that Turned Out to Be Unhealthy

bigstock-Muesli-Bars-44898367

1. Muesli

Many people make the move from consuming sugary cereals or fatty fried breakfasts to eating a portion of muesli in the mornings. This is no surprise, as muesli is often specifically marketed to the health-conscious crowd.

You may be dismayed, however, to learn that the type of muesli that you can find in most stores is actually quite bad for your body if you are trying to shed fat or maintain a healthy weight.

Specifically, muesli often provides as many as 500 calories per serving, has a high fat content, and contains an unacceptable amount of added sugar. You’d be better off eating fresh fruit or even a plain doughnut.

If you hate the idea of giving up muesli, but are committed to eating healthily, the best thing that you can do is make your own muesli. To make muesli, you need buy oats, sunflower seeds, a small amount of dried fruit, and some macadamia nuts (though you should be conservative when adding the fruit and nuts in order to keep the sugar and fat content of your muesli under control).

Great collection of Cereal Bowls on Amazon – Click here to order

With a serving of fat free milk, this homemade muesli will give you the fuel you need to start your day without causing your blood sugar levels to skyrocket.

516 Comments

1. Julie

March 5, 2014 at 4:21 am

Bunkum. Every 5 years or so they reverse gear and change the idea of the day to it’s opposite. My father was 99 when he died of heart failure. He smoked for years, quit when he hit sixty, drank hard liquors but not to excess and ate things like white bread fried in bacon grease. He was vigorous until he hit 97, when he was 95 he built a stone wall under a bay window, carrying a stone, usually about 6 lbs. in weight up a hill from a back field. After he finally started to gently decline he said he really missed my mother and began to grow distant and more lethargic. That is the way it is supposed to be. So enjoy stuff that isn’t supposed to be good for you, eat moderately and vary your diet as much as you can. The rest is somebody trying to sell something. Sheesh.

• biophys

April 13, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Your grandfather was truly blessed, but there are 7.5 billion people on the planet, and one fortunate man (0.00000013%) is not significant when assessing risk.

2. scesc

March 5, 2014 at 5:51 pm

A balanced diet but not to much of it is the best diet.

3. suibneg

March 5, 2014 at 8:40 pm

not to mention a steady diet of Obxma and the mass media.

4. OC

March 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I’m surprised about muselii snd the tomato sauce. Dr. Oz just did a segment on Everyday Foods Experts (obstetrician, oncologists, ect.) Won’t Touch”.

5. ADM

March 8, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Our whole society is addicted, strung out, on carbs and sugar.

• biophys

April 13, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Sugars are carbs, but not all carbs are sugars

6. Ry

March 12, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Look into the mercury versus selenium interaction in ocean fish. Pretty interesting. Apparently selenium attaches itself to mercury and makes it in-absorb-able for humans. The plus; you don’t absorb the mercury. The minus; you also don’t absorb the selenium. Decent trade off though. And tuna sushi is sooo delicious.

7. Common Sense

March 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I think the bottom line is eat whatever you want but eat reasonable portions and do a cardio workout for 45 minutes 5 days a week.

8. CaptainMike1

March 13, 2014 at 10:58 pm

If you’re concerned about Mercury in your tuna – stay away from the red tuna and order Albacore – white tuna. NOT “Super White” which is not a tuna at all and shouldn’t even be allowed for sale, but Shiro Maguro – Albacore. It tastes better than most red tunas anyways imo. Bluefin used to be the Cadillac of the tuna fisheries, but it’s mostly ocean-ranched and pellet-fed these days – looks great, tastes like cardboard to me. The Albacore used for sushi are the smaller/younger fish that haven’t had the opportunity to accumulate great amounts of mercury in their systems yet. But even with the highest possible mercury loads, one would have to eat a LOT, I mean a BIG FAT LOT of tuna, essentially nothing but tuna, before coming down with mercury poisoning. There are two very scary cases of seafood mercury poisoning of local populations (google it). One on the Faroe Islands where folks used to eat a lot of Whales (mammals, not fish), the other in Japan where local seafood was heavily contaminated with mercury following an industrial mishap.

• Anon

April 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Not to mention the radiation.

• CaptainMike1

June 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

you must be talking about the radiation that’s been seeping into the groundwater since WWII at the Hanford Reach in Washington? Or the radiation we unleashed during that war while performing our nuclear tests on the islands in the pacific which finally culminated in our bombing of 2 Japanese cities? These incidents ensured that EVERYTHING we eat these days is radioactive. Yes, your milk & spinach are as radioactive as our tuna.

9. Mags Kavanaugh

March 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Life is a banquet, and most poor sons of bitches are starving to death- LIVE!
    Auntie Mame

10. Tomanydiffering Opinions

March 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm

If you were to follow every “food expert” opinion, you would die of starvation, so my motto is eat, drink and be merry, for you going to die soon anyway, so may as well enjoy life while you can. Ill health only takes off the last years of your life, which are the worst years, so why worry.

• anon

April 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm

They don’t have to be the worst years if you are healthy enough to enjoy them. People here are mostly just trying to offer their help. My grandparents are in their 80’s and they still have a lot of fun. Why would you want to die at 50 and miss the chance to say whatever you want and get a free pass when you’re old? I myself want to ride on a rocking horse on wheels that’s attached to a shopping cart, and have someone pull me around while shopping. Oh, I should also have a very long whip. That one’s going on the bucket list. =)

11. Helen Pattskyn

March 29, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I’m tired of seeing “don’t eat fat free yogurt” — what it should really read is “read your labels!” Fage 0 (and several other great fat free yogurts) are a) lower in calorie than regular yogurt (yes, LOWER) and don’t contain sugar at all (unlike flavored yogurt). A cup is 100 calories, 7 grams of carbs (natural to dairy products), 18 grams of protein and ZERO grams of fat. And the ingredients are all “in English” (i.e., nice normal things like, milk and yogurt cultures, not this or that gum.)

12. JK Humbert

March 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I have a big problem…. I drink 12 to 24 cans of 12 oz. Coca Cola PER DAY. I am 5 ft 11 inches and weigh 165 pounds so weight is not my problem. I just realized my sugar levels double to 175 after drinking a few cold ones… Other than that I am completely healthy for a man of 52 years. No high blood pressure, high cholesterol (ratio), or other blood test result abnormalities. I just do not know how to stop my “addiction”. The only illness I have had since childhood and pre-soda days is migraines. The caffeine does help resolve such headaches. The sad thing is that I am a health professional and know the risks but I just can not stop despite many futile attempts to change to water. Anybody else have this problem.
    “Hi my name is Michael and I am addicted to refined sugars” sounds petty and lame.
    Thanks

13. valerie

March 31, 2014 at 7:54 pm

There are no hard and fast rules with health. Some foods are toxic or indigestible raw [like kale]. Others you may be allergic to [like I am to eggs]. Some things are healthy for women but deleterious to men [like soy products].
    This is what I found works for me [after 13 years of experimenting]

I eat mostly fatty animal proteins and veggies, healthy fats [like olive oil] and some grains, I exercise outdoors for an hour a day, take high quality vitamins, digestive enzymes, probiotics. I also take nootropics like Centrophenoxine, caffeine, and [provigil on occasion] and have stimulating hobbies/work.

Doing all of the above has changed my body and my mind dramatically. I used to be severely depressed and had ADHD and unhealthy body composition. I still eat the foods mentioned above sometimes, I drink soda and alcohol a few times a week. As long as I stay under my caloric needs and pair sugar with protein whenever possible I stay slim and healthy.

Health is highly personal and gene-dependent. Doctors are too busy treating the symptoms, and dieticians are often caught up in their own fads and personal belief systems.

Americans could do four things to improved their health: up their healthy fat intake, sleep more, drink less alcohol, and exercise outdoors. We might, one day, catch up to Europe.

14. Tom

April 5, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Look folks, the best eating plan is the one that works for you and that you’ll stick to. Low fat is what works for me and what I can enjoy. Low carb doesn’t work for me. Was on Atkins for 4-5 weeks. Lost very little weight, felt bad frequently, and never shook the craving for carbs. I can’t give it all up potatoes, bread, pasta, etc. I did have the occasional allowable carbs, but it just didn’t cut it for me. So, again, if that works for you, great, but it doesn’t mean it will work for everyone. It’s like exercise. The best one for you is the one you’ll do. Doesn’t much matter what it is if it burns calories.

15. freeman27

April 6, 2014 at 1:10 am

make your life with walking or cycling everyday either slowly or fast (depend on your ability)..then you will not concern about any calories..although you want to eat 9 to 11 pieces of chicken everyday..and you can enjoy all type of food in the world..

16. angeleyes

April 6, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I eat everything on this list, but in moderation. I’m 51, in good health, exercise at least 4 to 5 days a week. I watch what I eat 6 days a week. On Sunday, I do not exercise and eat whatever I want.

17. Hannah Cochran

April 7, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Go vegan, tastes better! Also, makes you feel a ton better. #Earthlings Watch the video Forks over Knives.

18. K Rowland

April 8, 2014 at 4:57 pm

You are all going to die tomorrow if you keep eating these things. So stop eating anything that tastes good, and make sure you live a long, incredibly boring life.

19. Laurelishish Nish

April 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Yogurts taste really great just on their own w/out any sugar or flavorings added. I buy nonfat plain yogurt, and it’s very refreshing and tasty. If you like tangy flavors, non-fat, unsweetened, unflavored Yogurt with nothing else added to it is the way to go. My dog loves it too, seriously LOVES it. It’s a total dessert for her.

20. Pat Patterson

April 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Sushi obviously doesn’t hurt the Japanese.

21. sunburnspecial

April 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm

IT’S CARBS– SUGAR, SUGAR, SUGAR. YOU CAN’T GET IT THROUGH PEOPLE’S THICK HEADS THOUGH. WE LISTEN TO WAY TOO MUCH ADVERTISING $$$.

22. Zforce

April 10, 2014 at 5:27 pm

To the copy editor: When referring to the nutrition content of a food, you say, “healthful”. Healthy means that you are in a good state of health. Healthful means something is good for you.

You don’t say amount of calories, you say NUMBER of calories. You use number to define quantifiable items. Amount if for non-quantifiable quantities. For example, you say number of calories, but amount of fat.

• Cherry

May 17, 2014 at 2:47 pm

You do not say “you say.” It invokes an empty imperative, but an empty imperative that has a sense of authority. It makes it difficult to understand that these language rules are arbitrary, constantly open to change, and self-reinforcing (through use we come to take them as the only acceptable means of expression). Why you or some special board or committee has authority over proper use of language, and then think everyone else will blindly follow as you issue dictates about others’ use, is beyond me. At most you can say, that these language police have sampled wide use, suggested ways to remove inconsistent use, made suggestions to force different uses into a logical system . . . all well and good. But to turn around and speak in a problematic way (e.g., closing off of best understanding through emotional imperatives of authority), means that these people should have never proliferated.

Lastly, everything is quantifiable, most definitely “fat.” Fat here is not being used descriptively, “you look fat.”

23. southmpls

April 11, 2014 at 2:57 pm

lowering intake of carbohydrates (white flour, white bread, white sugar, white pasta) is the key for women. we convert carbos to fat much faster than men do.

24. HighCholesterol

April 11, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Have a family history of high cholesterol. My father died of his 7th heart attack at 46. His farther died the day before him. My little brother has 4 stents in him. Im 44 going on 45. Just transferred to a new doctor that took me off all my meds, Lipitor included and put me on a high protein low carb no sugar no grain no dairy diet 🙂 We will see what the results are at my next testing. Feel better though I must say.

25. Ron Renfew

April 12, 2014 at 6:08 pm

The ‘Muesli” mentioned here and marketed in the USA is a far cry from the original, created by Dr. Bircher-Benner at his clinic on the Sonenberg above the city of Zürich in the 1920s. The clinic, basically a fat farm for wealthy celebrities, was located two blocks from my childhood home. The good doctor believed in eating only raw foodstuffs (including raw meat, such as steak Tartare BTW), sleeping on spartan cots, cold water bathing, exercise, etc.

His Muesli (Swiss-German word for mixture) was formulated fresh ever morning from shredded apples, grated hazelnuts or almonds, rolled oats soaked in water for 15 min., and a little lemon juice and honey. Fresh or dried fruit was added as available, and it was served with whole, raw, milk. My mother learned the recipe from Dr. Benner and fixed it often for us. Truly delicious and very healthy (she was 94 when she died). Bircher Muesli, ask for it by name! (My American friends now know it as “Beer Commercials”) 🙂

• John Harvey Kellogg

May 13, 2014 at 12:05 am

Sounds like the movie “Road To Wellville”.

26. My Boss was born in Mombasa

April 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I just eat what Michelle tells me to eat.

27. BioPhys

April 13, 2014 at 11:07 pm

There is a great amount of confusion and mis-understanding in all of these posts.
    I am a physician and biochemist, so let us get it straight.
    There is only one kind of Cholesterol, its proper name is 2,15-dimethyl-14-(1,5-dimethylhexyl)tetracyclo[8.7.0.02,7.011,15]heptacos-7-en-5-ol.

Cholesterol made in the body, mostly in the liver, intestine wall, some is eaten.
    Cholesterol is a major component of every cell membrane in the body, as well as other structures.
    There is no “Good” or “Bad” Cholesterol.
    Cholesterol is mostly transported in the body bound to proteins. Most protein bound cholesterol that leaves the liver is bound to low density protein (LDL) and the complex is known as Low density lipoprotein. The high density Lipoprotein is mostly responsible for transporting cholesterol to the liver.
    None of these are “Good” or “Bad”, both are essential for life.
    BUT high levels of LDL in the blood reflect a large amount of cholesterol going to cells, and low levels of HDL reflect less transport back to the liver. Both are associated with build up of plaque in artery walls that lead to heart attacks, strokes and loss of circulation especially in legs and kidneys.
    “Apolipoprotein a” LP(a) is a component of LDL, along with , which might be responsible for the buildup of cholesterol in artery wall plaque.There are various types which are genetically determined, lighter forms are thought to be more dangerous that heavier forms.
    There is also confusion about what is fat. Fat ONLY occurs in animals. Fats include cholesterol, triglyceride and phospholipid found in nerves and brain. Fats are a subset of a big group of water insoluble compounds called Lipids, which include fatty acids. Not all lipids are fat, but all fats are lipids.
    All sugars are carbohydrates, but not all carbohydrates are sugars. The body uses mainly the sugars glucose, ribose and deoxyribose, and also converts glucose to Fructose on the way to producing other molecules, some of these processes release energy. Sucrose is stores in the body as starch, mostly in Liver and Muscle.
    High levels of sucrose in the blood cause release of the hormone Insulin, and if the sucrose is not immediately used up, the balance is pushed by Insulin into storage cells in a complex series of chemical reactions which convert sucrose to fat (this is an over simplification). The faster the rise in blood glucose, the faster the Insulin response to keep blood sugar levels in a tight range. Eating refined sugars like glucose and Sucrose is dangerous, because they are rapidly absorbed from the intestine into the blood, causing a spike in Insulin levels. Complex “carbs” need to be broken into simple sugars before they can be absorbed from the intestine into the blood, delaying the Insulin rise. Fructose is worse, because it causes the same Insulin spike as Glucose, but unlike blood glucose levels which turn off the hungry signal to the brain when levels rise, fructose does not. This is used by unscrupulous processed food makers to eat more of their product, since it does not signal “I am not hungry any more” to the brain.
    This is a gross oversimplification, but I hope that it dispels all the myths and mis-information

28. BioPhys

April 13, 2014 at 11:14 pm

correction, Sugar is stored a glycogen in animals, starch in plants

29. Val Holladay

April 14, 2014 at 10:11 am

JUST EAT IT!! I am 75 years old, drink 4 high fructose Pepsis a day along with potato chips, donuts, potatoes, steak, milk, vegetables, bacon,(oh yeah, lots of bacon) literally, any thing I want. I have never weighed more than 145#. I take no prescription drugs and have no illness except for the inevitable cold. It is very probable that this diet may kill me in another 10-15 years but I will not have spent a miserable life eating tofu and rice cakes.
    I irks me to no end how what is good for you one year will kill you the next and what will kill you today will give you eternal youth tomorrow. Why the hell can’t ‘experts’ make up their minds?

• Grandma Driver

April 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Yes! Anecdotal evidence trumps science every time!

Look at George Burns. One guy lived to 100 or whatever and smoked the whole time. Ergo, SMOKING IS NOT BAD FOR YOU!

30. Brian

April 14, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Fruits, vegies, nuts, grains seeds, and plain greek yogurt (w/ live/active cultures). Nothing cooked above 109 degrees F, and no foods w/ psuedo estrogens (like soy).
    Haven’t been sick in over 13 years besides occasional airborn allergies, was about 30 lbs underweight, w/o changing my fitness habits I am now in the normal range for active adults and show no signs of the type I diabetes I was diagnosed with when I was 2 and haven’t taken an insulin shot in 12 years or a glucose tablet in 10. I don’t count calories, pay attention to fat content of any kind, and if I’m a guest at someone’s house I just eat what they serve (meats, confections, pastries, breads, etc).

31. DChrls

April 19, 2014 at 1:20 am

Like most things in life, moderation is the way to go. Also exercise, stretch and get outside.
    Unless you live in a big city. In that instance, accept that you live in a place that the air will probably do more harm than a little snack eating. That you are more likely to be attacked by a criminal and disease will spread faster where you live too.
    So if you are one of those people who feel you are more intelligent than those who live in the “flyover states” or heaven forbid ” The South”. Remember these things about where you live and PLEASE stay where you are. Accept the environment the you and politicians you voted for have made for you. Have the decency to not move to areas who have got it right. If you do, observe how the people live where you moved to and don’t repeat the same acts that shaped the last place you lived.

That is all and have a blessed day. 😀
    P.S. if you can’t handle a little humor, like this post was intended to be. Learn to lighten up and don’t take yourself so seriously. You’ll probably live longer.

32. Francisco Castro

April 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Anyone with a basic high school nutrition class education should be able to surmise all of these things. They were trying a little too hard to make these really broad and generalized “facts” fit into this “7 healthy foods that turned out to be unhealthy” topic. Yes, for the most part they have the right idea and direction but it all comes down to moderation.

There are too many sensationalized opinions embedded within these 7 foods that it’s hard to take it seriously when half of it holds validity while the other half completely negates the purpose and value of a balanced diet. (That is of course, assuming everyone needs the EXACT same diet which is completely ludicrous.) A majority of our American population just need to start consistently eating better rather than diving into the deep end of extreme diets.

Gradually build yourself an improving habit of well balanced foods, exercise, rest and a healthy sex life and your life will transform. All of these things are intertwined and will balance out if you make the intention for it. The road to a great body and mind is exactly that, a road. Milestones are the greatest to help affirm that journey.

33. moderate brunei

April 25, 2014 at 2:49 pm

mercury toxicity eh? oishikatta maguro!

34. John Moser

April 26, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Breakfast comes after a long period of energy-consuming sleep in which the body repairs muscles and joints, consolidates memory (intensive), and consumes sugar (from stored glycogen) to produce ATP. The demand for energy is high at this point; 500kcal is quite low, and is especially good when brought as a balance of sugar, fat, and protein. I find normal breakfasts–pancakes, french toast, fried potatoes–provide too much caloric intake at around 1000+ kcal in the form of bread and sugar (syrup!), and had switched to eggs and meats and mushrooms fried in butter and lard as my primary breakfast intake.

There is no documented increase in birth defects or any documented harm from mercury in fish. The FDA standards are set specifically for pregnant women, and are arbitrary: they’re set to 1/10 of what was arbitrarily deemed to be potentially toxic, although no evidence of toxicity has ever been found. They just guess it’s probably toxic because it contains an amount of mercury known to be toxic which, strangely enough, has failed to show to actually be toxic for unknown reasons. Because they don’t know why it appears to not produce toxic effects, and because they haven’t established hard-line evidence showing particularly a lack of toxicity, they suggest caution.

Energy bars and trail mixes should have a high amount of fat and sugar content, with a modest amount of protein and a lot of micronutrients. You eat these when you are burning energy; they need to immediately supply usable sugar, as well as fat source for slow-burn energy, and protein and micronutrients which the body consumes rapidly under load. Often I intake straight sugar (100g directly) and water with magnesium, sodium, potassium, manganese, and calcium ions; energy bars are better.

35. Kreegah Bundolo

May 1, 2014 at 9:14 pm

removed.

36. LindaL

May 3, 2014 at 8:18 am

This list keep repeating the BS that fats and particularly saturated fats are bad.
    Newer studies show this associated is incorrect.
    Watch out for the carbs (particularly processed) and your blood sugar wont rise as high, thus your body will produce less insulin and then be less likely to store fat instead use it to fuel your cells.

37. Ron Couples

May 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm

In addition to the mercury problem, Pacific salmon may soon contain material from the Fukushima Daiichi radioactive plume heading toward the west coast .

38. Greg Schlosser

May 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

What you should and should not eat:

Eat a variety of animal fats and protiens throughout the week for lots of good cholesterol. Cholesterol supports good brain health. Eat eggs every day, steel cut oats, natural sweetners (raw honey, raw sugar, pure maple syrup), always add butter to steamed vegetables, variety of fruits. Saturated Fat enables digestion of nutrients from vegetables and fruits, so don’t be afraid of saturated fat. Consume a variety of unsalted, unsweetened raw nuts throughout the week.

Do not ever eat white flour, deep fried food, canola, soybean oil, vegetable oil, margrine, cereal, white rice, white sugar, artificial sweetners, corn syrup, dextrose, sucralose or any food that has any of the previous mentioned garbage.

Never eat boxed dinners and seriously…avoid boxed cereal. If you love cereal, then cook steel cut oats with butter and pure maple syrup for sweetness.

39. Bccamrtn

May 8, 2014 at 11:40 am

I eat super low fat, extremely high carb and high fructose vegan diet and consume over 2000 calories a day. I work out everyday for about an hour. I limit my sodium intake to 500 mg. per day and eat an all natural plant based diet. I weigh 115 pounds and I’m 5’4. My weight never fluctuates and I feel amazing. High fat low carb diets do not work long term and they suck!

• mark98115

May 24, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Add some avocados to your diet. They are high in fat, but it is very good plant fat. Yummy too.

40. Walt Wagner

May 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease1,2,3,4,5

Patty W Siri-Tarino,

Qi Sun,

Frank B Hu, and

Ronald M Krauss

+Author Affiliations

1From the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute Oakland CA (PWS-TRMK)the Departments of Nutrition (QSFBH)Epidemiology (FBH) Harvard School of Public Health Boston MA.

+Author Notes

↵2 PWS-T and QS contributed equally to this work.

↵3 The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of the National Center for Research Resources (http://www.ncrr.nih.gov) or the National Institutes of Health.

↵4 Supported by the National Dairy Council (PWS-T and RMK) and made possible by grant UL1 RR024131-01 from the National Center for Research Resources, a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and NIH Roadmap for Medical Research (PWS-T and RMK). QS was supported by a Postdoctoral Fellowship from Unilever Corporate Research. FBH was supported by NIH grant HL60712.

↵5 Address correspondence to RM Krauss, Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, 5700 Martin Luther King Junior Way, Oakland, CA 94609. E-mail: [email protected].

Abstract

Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P= 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

41. Jase

May 12, 2014 at 6:37 am

the amount of sushi you would have to eat to be poisoned by mercury is a ridiculous amount. some of these are nonsense. its not like people are out eating these foods all day everyday.

42. Christopher Pennington

May 12, 2014 at 12:57 pm

IIFYM: “empty calories” is an anitquated term these days. A calorie from a cupcake or a banana is the same to your body. There is no evidence to the contrary.

43. Sam

May 12, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Government hogwash

44. Buttercurl

May 13, 2014 at 4:58 am

Did this article fall through a worm hole from 1982?

45. Jeff

May 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

The section on mercury in tuna is very inaccurate. Please read http://www.greenpasture.org/fermented-cod-liver-oil-butter-oil-vitamin-d-vitamin-a/mercury-myths/ and get your facts strait.

46. drsebby

May 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm

the sushi/tuna thing is complete garbage….the FDA sets the ‘tolerance level’ to 500% of what it actually is just as a safeguard!!! Go to their site and read it for yourself! Also, the limitations assume…3 portions per week (or whatever)…EVERY week, for your entire f-ing life!! There’s more mercury in a coca-cola than in a sushi dinner – stop the fear mongering …READ, people…just research honestly.

• mark98115

May 24, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Problem with Coca Cola isn’t mercury. It’s the blasted corn syrup.
      My rule number one – if t has corn syrup, it is not going down my pie hole.

47. phillyfanatic

May 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Well eggs were bad, coffee was bad, alcohol was bad. Perhaps grandma’s view that all things in moderation was not wrong. I try to eat right but once in a while have eggs, salad dressing , even fried chicken without the fried skin. Hmmm. I note that most young people speak and act like M. Bloomberg on health foods but still smoke whether it is weed or cigs. Hmm. Moderation and common sense should suffice but with so many Low Info voters on politics, rel, cultur. and health things out there, education should be at least put out there and choices have to be made. Unless of course, one is a progressive which limits choices. You know, freedom??? Oh and I am 75, go to the gym and have bad DNA in my parental and family backgrounds. I do take HBP pills but that is it. Moderation.

48. LlarryLLama

May 17, 2014 at 12:29 am

“may develop systems”..don’t you mean symptoms?Not only is this article absurd in it’s quantity, but it’s quality as well.

49. Rick Baumann

May 19, 2014 at 8:51 pm

The references you make to mercury in tuna is almost totally bogus. Most of the bad publicity and “studies” about mercury content were funded by the meat, pork and poultry lobbies with the intent of reducing seafood menu shares in the nation’s restaurants. I have owned a gourmet seafood market and distributorship for decades – and have been privy to many seminars and classes on food safety etc. A typical sushi platter may contain an ounce of tuna or less. The implication that there is a higher mercury content in tuna sold at restaurants is absurd – and completely unfounded by unbiased studies. That statement is also extremely void of any logic whatsoever. I sell the same tuna to restaurants that I sell in my store!

50. Tom King

May 19, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Fish is fine to eat (even tuna). Just ignore the TV cooking shows and remove the skin BEFORE cooking. Mercury levels will drop 70% or more. The mercury alarm comes from the way the government tests the fish. They take the whole fish (skin, bones, guts, et al.) and grind it into a paste for analysis. A test was done with lake trout from Lake Ontario a few years ago- the standard tests showed levels of mercury that would limit someone to one serving a week. Testing fillets (skin, bones & guts removed) the mercury levels dropped almost 90%. That’s because fish build up mercury in their skin & scales, not their flesh.