24 Foods You Should Avoid at All Costs

Coleslaw

By removing the following meals and snacks from your kitchen cupboards, you will maximize your chances of staying fit and healthy for as long as possible:

#1 Coleslaw

Looks can be deceiving when it comes to coleslaw. While it is often served right next to a healthy, green salad, coleslaw itself is anything but good for your body.

Although it provides you with carrot and cabbage, it contains a disproportionate amount of calories per serving, and it is full of fatty mayonnaise.

The average portion of coleslaw will provide you with at least 260 calories, and more than 20g of fat. Some popular brands of coleslaw are even worse.

For example, KFC’s coleslaw contains close to 26g of saturated fat, making it worse than a portion of fries.

If you like coleslaw, why not try making it yourself? Using fat free yogurt or a reduced fat mayonnaise, you can easily create a healthier version that tastes great with your salad.

Click here to order Cabbage Slicer

Make sure that you add cabbage, but try spicing up the flavor with lemon juice or vinegar.

Better yet, try to get used to eating a side salad without pairing it with another side dish. With a light dressing and a creative mix of herbs, salad portions can be extremely tasty, and you may soon find that you don’t even miss the fatty coleslaw that you once enjoyed.

295 Comments

1. you'renotanutritionist

November 21, 2013 at 6:10 am

fat isn’t bad, and many of the nutrients in ruffage aren’t bioavailable when you eat them without fat

• Margie

November 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Well said! Fat has been demonised by the sugar & transfat industries! Animal fats, dairy or from meat, are natural foods as our ancestors ate

• Kathy

December 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Please consider that our ancestors lived completely different lives to ours, with a lot of hard physical work all day long, houses had no insulation and so on. In short, they needed a lot more calories than we do, and fat provides that! Don’t get me wrong I am not against fat (indeed, not against anything). But e.g. fruit and honey are also natural products so your argument could also be used for sugar.

I think the most sensible thing to do is to simply reduce calorie intake no matter where they come from – this can be achieved by eating less processed = natural food so you KNOW what you put into your body, and you will automatically find that (pure) sugar as well as (pure) fat are too calorie dense to eat much of it – and to MOVE, human bodies are designed to move in the most amazing ways so I think it is most natural to do just that. Not only twice a week for 1 hour in the gym but all the time, walk, run, jump, bend, kneel, lift, twist, stretch – you get my point.

Blessings to you all.

• Kathy shouldn't be teaching

December 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

It is probably true that our ancestors required a lot more calories than we do, however that does not mean that fat should be excluded. It is probably better to eat the same foods, in the same proportions, but smaller amounts of these.

I believe that the reference to the sugar industry, is a reference to the refined sugar industry. If you had more than a basic understanding of the food industry you would recognise this, rather than making an uninformed comment on fruit & honey.

• None

December 23, 2013 at 6:42 am

Didn’t you read her comment, she said she ISN’T against fat, so where did you get fat should be excluded? Also ‘Kathy shouldn’t be teaching’ is a rude thing to say

• Teri2

March 30, 2014 at 1:45 am

Rude is right. If Kathy shouldn’t teach, ‘Anonymous’ sure shouldn’t preach.

• YOUAREPROBABLYFAT

February 10, 2014 at 5:38 pm

ARE YOU PEOPLE REALLY ARGUING ABOUT FOOD?

• Time Present

February 20, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Yeah! Why would you people discuss something as important was what we put in our bodies?!

• FesterFoot43

March 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm

You’re being very rude and unsubstantiating. Fact is, the only thing we really need to do is get off our butts and be active. After we do that, then we can be concerned about the amount of fat or sugar we’re ingesting. And, YES! Our ancestors DID work harder than we do, especially those who were hunter/gatherers who worked all day long just to find the food they needed to live. The reason we need to be worried about our diet, today, is because we aren’t active enough and that’s pretty much it.

• The Brigadier

May 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Our ancestors had typical lifespans of only 40 years and most died because of disease and incomplete nutrition.

• shawncorrigan

March 23, 2015 at 3:04 am

not true,the more you work the bigger your cravings especially if you are carb addicted. if you truly want to get to the truth about this, read the 1860;s letters on corpulence by banting very short(28 pgs), he was told what you said, he religiously exercised rowing boats and gained weight. he tried everything people and doctors told him, with no luck,finally he found the correct diet, almost opposite what doctors tell us today with awesome results, dropped 50 lbs and felt great. this is real. i have dropped 30 lbs myself and am thrilled.
        good luck

• Kizmiaz

April 21, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Oh let us guess. Sugar is really a health food. And you work for the sugar industry…

• Mike Williams

June 2, 2014 at 4:29 pm

YEAH,
        Not only is it a health food, it tastes so good too. Try a 44oz Big Gulp at the gas station, 18 tablespoons of sugar, and actual Carmel Coloring with Fizz. With all that caffein you can party all night, and day – till you have a sugar crash and sleep for 18 hours.

• The Spirit Bear

February 6, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hard physical work all day long. That’s what I do for a living. That’s what everyone should do for a living. I have absolutely zero respect for people who are too lazy to do anything for themselves. I mean the office yuppies who are too lazy to empty their own trash cans, all the stuffed suits who don’t even know how to change a tire, the cops who ride around in an air-conditioned Crown Vicky that my taxes paid for against my will, the bankers, the politicians, and the welfare bums who sell dope and keep popping out kids to get more free stuff.
        Don’t work, don’t eat. Sounds fair to me.

• Trixie

February 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Sad to see people have no respect for us that do your payroll, file your paperwork, pay your bills, etc. Who else is going to do it? I also answer the phone all day long and get to experience grouchy ass people who think they are better than I am. I’ve been in Administration since High School and I’m now 45. This is my career and I do a damn good job, plus I have physical disabilities that don’t allow me to chop down trees, pave driveways or do whatever YOU do for hard physical labor. I work a respectable job and yes, I take my own damn trash out and clean my own office on top of working 10 plus hours a day. I’m single and live week to week and pay my taxes and don’t live off the government either. Don’t look down your nose at us Admins. Without us, who’s going to cut your paycheck? Touche! Have a beautiful day now.

• Fastnuf

May 22, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Trixie, Spirit stated, ” I mean the office yuppies who are too lazy to empty their own trash cans” and you stated “and yes, I take my own damn trash out” so his comments were not meant to be about you. I find it interesting you took offense to his statement. If you do take out your own trash, it seems you should agree with him, unless you don’t and you actually identify with the type of person he was describing. Hmmmmmmmm!

• Dana Wallace

April 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Have you ever done office work? That can be mentally exhausting. It’s not as easy as it looks

• rodger

April 30, 2014 at 3:53 pm

You can either work with your brain or your body. Smart people choose to use their heads. Your right we should fire the guy that empties the trash. He can get welfare too.

• goodygood

May 4, 2014 at 11:52 pm

your ignorance is Bliss

• Johnny G

May 19, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I’m an office yuppie. I have someone who takes out my trash. Yet I can change my own tire. And during the day I create ideas that create jobs and provide income for many people to support their families and live their dreams. Each worker, no matter what they do, is important to the economic cycle.

• Sam

July 18, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I have no idea how to change a tire. So what. Who the hell wants to do that anyway.

• emjayay

May 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

The fact is that most jobs today just do not take much physical work, whether people are willing to empty their own wastebasket or not. It’s a bit absurd to look down on someone entering data on a computer all day instead of doing manual labor.

• piyush jain

March 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Its not always about physical work . Mental work plays a good role too.

• ReallyGerald

March 27, 2015 at 7:47 pm

You’re one of those people who despises everyone and anyone who earns more than you, aren’t you?

Yeap.

Save your teeny tantrum, pumpkin.

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:17 am

This is true. Keep your house at 65 degrees and wear more clothes. Your body heats up. If you have the house at 80 degrees you burn less. The TV, computer and microwave oven has destroyed you. Turn off the tv and play ping pong or even darts at night. Play badminton at home. But sitting five hours in front of the tv is no good

• Callie

April 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Wow, I guess I’m doing one thing right. (65 degrees at home. :P)

• Roy

April 19, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Electronic device addiction can kill you!

• Mike Williams

June 2, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I WORK HARD:
        All day inspecting solar panels. I stop at Dairy Queen and get a Hunger Buster and shake, and enjoy watching TV all night. Why are they trying to get me up and sweat . It is June and 98 degrees outside during the day, still 93 at 8PM.
        Cool living room, 80 channels to pick from, computer if I want company, and I should go out and risk a coronary.
        No thank you.

• Robert Johnson

March 25, 2014 at 6:25 pm

The habit of uncontrolled calorie intake is an heritage of the species. Control may be attainable by attention to a girth-belt, worn to perhaps keep the pants from falling. At an early age, become accustomed to the belt adjustment. Never adjust the belt! It is telling you that you eat too many calories when you feel the belt pressure. It is also telling you to back away from the hog trough and to ignore the symptoms of hunger for a while, that when the belt pressure goes away, that eating a reasonable diet can be resumed. Never eat food without that unadjusted. belt!

• Me

April 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Well this took an ugly turn quickly…

• STAYTON322

April 24, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Also their food wasn’t saturated with growth hormones, pesticides,and who knows what chemicals are involved.PROFIT MARGINES MUST BE MET .I’m older but,I don’t remember people having peanut allergies,ADHD disorders.I’m sure they were known,but grade schoolers weren’t on daily medication as a majority.Products stay fresh longer,grow much larger all in the name ofPRRRRRROFIT.

• peace65

May 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Our ancestors also did not eat as often as we do and did not have Dunkin Donuts, KFC, etc at every block, they weren’t confined to their computer or television. They were busy body, after work they did housework care for the children and children played outdoor. They cooked their meals and only adhered to the three simple meals a day. Their lifestyles were totally different then our’s, we do more office work even in those in the service industry, we do not exert ourselves enough for the amount of food we indulged in everyday. We need to get a grip with the reality, be more active with ourselves and our children. We need to be concerned more about our health than being skinny; there is a difference, you know.

• The Brigadier

May 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm

And most of them died between the ages of 35 and 40, old and wasted long before their time.

• Norm Levin

May 19, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I had to scroll a looong way down to find a truly insightful comment. Despite our penchant for eating “food we should avoid” we as a species are living longer and longer. Now that’s food for thought!

• Miss Y

May 27, 2014 at 3:29 pm

That’s not really true. The average life expectancy was statistically low due to high infant mortality but people who survived infancy lived into their 70s and beyond.

• $114535263

November 6, 2014 at 8:35 am

When I was 60, I went to Afganistan for a year with the DoD.
        The Afgans worked hard just like our ancesters. Food was hard for them to get. I would eat flat bread with them, that was about all I could safely eat except kabobs. They still use donkeys and horses. Cut wheat by hand, hay by hand. I had 2 you young men that would get in a ditch at 0600 work until chi,
        which was a little break for tea get back in the ditch and dig
        until noon. They would eat and get back into the ditch and so on. HARD work. I was sitting with my gang while eating or chi, and one of older ones asked how old I was, I said 60. He asked why he was older than I was when he was only 40. I could only say he lived a much harder life than I did.

• Alex Scheirer

January 28, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Right on. OGA.

• emjayay

May 23, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Yes, but remember that the fruit and vegetables hunter-gatherers were eating had far less sugar and more fiber than farmed ones, and honey was rare and hard to get.

• need antibiotics quick

May 30, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Plus they’re dead.

• shawncorrigan

March 23, 2015 at 3:18 am

kathy this is of course a very important topic to debate ,millions are in the throes of obesity and related sickness.
        i think it is smart of you to look at history even though we are on different sides of this debate,
        yes things have changed since our ancestors speared mammoths,we now have food available easily were it was sporadic years ago, back then man stored fat and burned it when food was scarce it worked well, today we constantly eat every few hrs, this ruins the fat burning channels or pathways.our body forgets how to burn fat but becomes adept at making and storing fat. yes healthy people can burn sugar , our glycogen storage capability proves it,however we must have a healthy rotation. some use of fat thru low glucose periods does that.
        many of us today are insulin resistant, it needs a drastic cure to reopen those fat burning pathways, once reopened it does not need to happen again if we keep the proper cycles.
        we do know large amounts of insulin cause a rash of disease. the topic is not well charted yet. good luck

• John

January 6, 2014 at 4:24 am

Demonized? Rightly so. Do you know how many antibiotics, hormones, etc., are administered to cows and how much GMO corn is fed to them? We are what we eat! This practice is causing antibiotic resistance in humans. If it’s not organic, you’re just ingesting poison. Eat proper fats such as are in walnuts, avocados, etc., and be healthy.

• Eyeball_Kid

January 15, 2014 at 4:55 am

That’s damn near true all around. Most agribusiness products sell because of marketing, not because of nutritional/health value per calorie per pound.

• The Brigadier

May 8, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Monsanto’s GMO grains eaten to excess are causing a huge wave of metastatic cancers also. Three independent labs – Two American and One French verified this in rats. The French government saw this terrifying report and unanimously voted to ban GMO grains completely last year. Monsanto knows this and continues to sell this horrific GMO seed and as the word is getting out about it, Monsanto is engaging in a massive disinformation campaign trying to demonize the messengers as backward or paranoiac. I am neither and I can read the lab reports that shows they pulled a fast one over the FDA.

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:19 am

My son ate the fat off of a couple leg quarters one night. By 10 pm he was shitting all over the place. YOu get enough fat in food. You want fat? Eat a whole pound of uncooked bacon and see what that does for you. You’ll be passing gas and you’ll be on the toilet When you go to the bathroom and it stinks like real bad, then you are not eating right.

• Lisa

March 4, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I agree. I was only able to lose weight by decreasing carbs and increasing fat and protein, with lots of veggies, gluten free with lots of coconut oil and my cholesterol dropped substantially. The traditional method of whole grains and low fat dairy did nothing for my cholesterol or weight, plus I felt constantly deprived and craved sugar. I will stick with what works.

• The Brigadier

May 8, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Exactly Lisa. Limit your carbs to about 80 units for men and 65-70 for women and exercise. Walking will do it and if you walk a couple of miles a day and limit your carbs, you will take off 16 pounds the first month.

• Emily winters

January 5, 2014 at 6:38 am

well when we want to lose weight fat is verry bad but u are right a certain amount of fat is required each day

• LiveFreeOrDiet

January 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Much to the contrary, I lost a third of my body weight without going hungry by increasing my fat intake and reducing carbohydrates. That was ten years ago, and not only have I kept it off, I lost more when my endocrinologist told me to increase my animal fat intake. He especially encourages fattier cuts of beef, eggs, butter and coconut oil.

• Picca

January 24, 2014 at 6:00 am

Ooooo … see my previous omment, if it goes through … I did much the same, and the best thing about it was that it was easy then, and its easy to maintain, though I have broadened my diet a little. Still losing, though, slowly.

• LiveFreeOrDiet

January 25, 2014 at 12:19 am

Same here. Thank you for the reinforcement. I hear so many people telling me what I’m doing is impossible. I know better, but it can make it harder than it needs to be.
        Seriously, thank you.

January 27, 2014 at 6:00 am

Everybody’s metabolism is different,and many people gain weight eating like you and my cardiologist says because my cholesterol is somewhat high I shouldn’t ever eat butter and much eggs etc.

• Nick

February 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Eggs actually lowers cholesterol. Pubmed is flooded with recent studies pointing out that fact. And FYI, eggs contain the exact HDL-to-LDL ratio that should be present in human nutritional habits for a healthy hormonal balance. And Butter is actually much richer in omega-9 than in saturated fats.

I’m curious what your cardiologist suggested you cook with? Blood-clothing Omega-6 laden margarine, I imagine…

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:13 am

cholesterol becomes high when you drink mil and eat cheese. I would never avoid farm fresh eggs. But I would avoid dairy stuff.

• Me717

June 1, 2014 at 10:08 pm

that’s just not true. I eat cheese like it is going out of style. Organic cheese and milk have not raised my cholesterol. Recently, my blood pressure has dropped back down to what it was 30 years ago. 110/72. High butter and cheese intake with a moderate intake of milk has not caused me any problems. I also cook with peanut oil, or coconut oil and sea salt.

• Miss Y

May 27, 2014 at 3:33 pm

You should find a new cardiologist who has read up on nutrition in the past few years. Do a little research and you’ll find that your cardiologist is 180 degrees wrong.

• ArtfulEric

May 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Your cardiologist needs to go back to school. Eggs and butter are fine for you. Don’t eat refined sugar or refined grains and your cholesterol (which is only an indicator, not a warning anyway) will drop.

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:02 am

Yeah fat! Man nothing like a big slab of bacon in the morning. Lunchtime a couple slabs of fat on white bread and then supper a sixteen out of fat. Yeah that fat is great. zero nutrition and lots of calories. Don’t understand the fat diet. If you were to eat a load of FAT you will be sitting on the toilet. Fat is needed where it is very cold. But not where it is hot. Bacon should be outlawed.

• LiveFreeOrDiet

April 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm

This morning I had 3 strips of bacon, 2 buttered hard boiled eggs, tomato and cucumber, and a cup of coffee with real cream. I don’t usually bother with these calculations, but I make that out to be something like 400 calories, 5g carbs, 31g fat and 22g of protein. I know I got Vitamin A, Vitamin B-1, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin C, Choline, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Thiamine, Niacin, Riboflavin, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc and Magnesium.

Now please tell me, what essential nutrients did I miss by not eating white flour or white sugar with breakfast?

• MingtheMerciless

March 4, 2014 at 11:04 am

That’s the premise behind the Adkins and Lindora diet programs. Good carbs come from vegetables, fruit, (the fresher, the better) and whole grains. Processed foods add empty calories.

• guest

March 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Actually, for weight loss, even whole grain, fruit, and the starchier vegetables are a problem.

Once your weight is down, you can gradually reintroduce these things to your diet if you really want to. But I find that no matter how far I run, how much iron I pump, how “natural” my diet is, even the natural carbs like fruits and grains make weight loss totally impossible. Many others report similar experiences.

The issue is not “processed versus natural”, nor is it “complex versus simple”, nor is it “good carbs versus bad carbs” — the issue is ALL carbs cause insulin release and therefore fat storage.

Remember that for primitive man, sweet fruits, honey, and starches were rare or seasonal treats, not part of the daily diet. An apple a day, ALL YEAR, is just as unnatural as refined sugar.

• Allison

April 4, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Talk to me when you’re in your 40s or 50s and let me know how your cholesterol readings are. 😛 You may lose weight like this, SOMEHOW (not that it makes any sense), but you’re still poisoning yourself.

• Charles Wesley

April 9, 2014 at 3:06 am

I’m in my mid 50s. I eat meat. I don’t eat a lot of veggies…actually, I don’t eat a lot of good meat, either Mostly hot dogs. I eat fries. I drink a lot of soda. How’s my health? Cholesterol: close to “normal”. Blood sugar? Normal. A1c? Normal. Do I smoke, use illegal drugs? No. But I am exposed, constantly, to second hand smoke.

COPD, yes. hearing loss, yes. Teeth? Well… not great, but they’ve been going for more than 35 years.

Exercise? About 10 miles a day, biking.

Conclusion? It’s not WHAT you eat. It’s HOW MUCH.

• name

April 11, 2014 at 10:08 pm

uh, I think the biking 10 miles a day might have something to do with your health too.

• alykatma

April 28, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Are you taking any drugs for Cholesterol and pre-Diabetes?

• Allison

April 4, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Atkins doesn’t allow enough vegetables. I tried it a few years ago and my immune system was completely shot. I was sick constantly and my digestive system was not working at all.

Now I’m vegan. I eat all the fruit and veggies I want. My digestive system and my blood pressure are now perfect. I’ve lost just a little bit of weight but my chronic pain is gone. My immune system is the best it’s ever been: I can be around a bunch of people with stomach flu for over a week and not even get the slightest bit sick. I did it for my health but the animal welfare aspect is an excellent perk, and it became one of my main motivations for staying on it. Not trying to shove it down anyone’s throat, but it really does work.

• mmazzi

April 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Just be careful to learn and understand about phytates. You must sprout your grains and nuts. Otherwise, in a few years, you’ll find that you are mineral deficient, have dental problems and other issues. The phytic acid in grains and nuts, unsoaked/unsprouted, can block mineral absorption. The one main issue I have with a vegan diet which is very unnatural is that it is impossible to get an absorbable form of vit.b12 without supplementation. Stay away from nutritional yeast… it’s toxic. It’s extremely processed and has msg-like properties making it a neurotoxin. It aggravates brain cells. Also, beta carotene is not the same as vitamin A.

Last but definitely not least… make sure you understand the dangers of GMOs. Many vegans blindly eat and drink gmo-laden food all day/every day. Since 95% of soy, corn, and canola are GMO in this country… if it’s not CERTIFIED organic… it’s most certainly GMO. There are some rare exceptions where companies go to great lengths to have non-GMO conventional soy or corn processed at separate grain elevators, etc. This is rare… the exception to the rule. Unless it’s certified organic or, at the very least, labeled “non-GMO project verified”…. it’s almost certainly GMO. Do a search for “corn derivatives list” and memorize it to check labels. Almost all processed foods and drinks have some form of corn or soy… it’s NOT normal!!! So… remember when you reach for that bread or tortilla… it probably contains multiple forms of GMOs. Just as you can assume anything deep-fried is fried in GMO oil since almost all fryer oil is canola, soy, corn, “vegetable” (one of the above). Even some high end kitchens use olive oil “blends” in the kitchen which are mixed with canola or soy. So… even if you ask them to saute in olive oil… it might still be part GMO. Don’t take the waiter’s word for it… make sure they check with the chef or buyer… they will know. It amazes me how many people drink conventional soy milk (GMO in a box) and think they’re being healthy.

I’m glad you feel good on a vegan diet… I just hope you educate other vegans about how to do it the right way. Vegetarians of the 70’s understood about soaking and sprouting. When I tried to buy vegetarian cookbooks for my niece when she was getting married… I poured through dozens of them at Barnes and Noble and found only ONE briefly mentioned phytic acid. Unfortunately, some people think vegetarianism is simply giving up meat and eating more veggies. Healthy vegetarianism requires thought, education and planning. I think we all strive to do what is best for ourselves and there is a lot to learn for vegans and ancestral eaters alike! The main thing that paleo, mediterranean, and healthy vegetarian diets have in common is lots of veggies, no processed foods, and NO INDUSTRIAL (and usually GMO) SEED OILS! So let’s all focus on what we have in common 🙂

• blc

May 17, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Atkins allows loads of vegetables. It just restricts carbohydrates. It is not a diet of bacon and fat, as many people who haven’t looked into believe.

• studchef

May 30, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Count net carbs, you have to back out the amount of dietary fiber from the amount of carbs to get your total. I am not that familiar with Atkins, but I do not count carbs from green leafy vegetables at all. Once a week will have a carb reefed night with sweet potato, white rice, donuts, ice cream or whatever!! Have to take leptin into consideration if you are eating for fat loss. Eating for maintenance/lifestyle is a whole different ballgame

• Miss Y

May 27, 2014 at 3:34 pm

True, except for the “whole Grains” myth. Our bodies don’t need any grains.

• mmazzi

April 29, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I word of caution. I, too, believe that coconut oil, eggs, butter and beef from organic pastured cows and chickens are all healthy fats. I’ve been primarily paleo for almost two years. HOWEVER, not everyone’s body can handle a LOT of fat. I read Debra Minger’s book “Death by Food Pyramid”. After reading her excellent articles on her site “raw food SOS” in response to the Forks Over Knives film, I expected her to be a meat cheerleader. I was a little surprised when there were areas of the book where she seemed to have reservations. I think that all of the research she did to write the book (published by a paleo publisher) opened her eyes and tempered her advice. One of the main pieces of advice that helped me was to get blood tests to check your ApoE genetype. It’s made up of a combination of two alleles (E2,E3,E4). So everyone is either e2/e2, e2/e3, e2/e4, e3/e3, e3/e4, or e4/e4. Those people with one or two e4 alleles process fat differently than people without e4. My husband has done great with our diet changes. Unfortunately, I have some CVD risk markers. For me, I have to cut back on the fat. I will still eat Paleo, but not with an “unlimited fat” attitude. All good diets should focus on veggie consumption, good fats, and eliminating industrial seed oils. After that… we must tweak our diets according to our own body types.

• LiveFreeOrDiet

April 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) tracks much better with sugar consumption, not fats.
        See for instance British Journal of Nutrition 2014 Mar 25:1-12, “Comparison of the long-term effects of high-fat v. low-fat diet consumption on cardiometabolic risk factors in subjects with abnormal glucose metabolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis.” The study found those on high fat regimens had a significant decrease in triglyceride levels, a significant decrease in diastolic blood pressure, a significant decrease in fasting glucose levels levels, and a significant increase in HDL levels.

• shredder

April 19, 2015 at 6:36 am

i am a professional physique competitor – so far livefreeordiet is on the right track. i have been dieting in and out of competition for 8 years now – i have mastered how to manipulate my muscle mass and body fat levels – i completely agree with this comment. this is the true way to reduce body fat – to almost eliminate carbohydrates or keep them to breakfast only – and replace all other meals with vegetables and high levels of fat. my fat sources are almonds, salmon etc – because it allows the subject to maintain a calorie level without increasing the volume of food being eaten – kind of like tricking your body into believing it is full, when it isnt. 🙂

• LiveFreeOrDiet

July 3, 2015 at 12:35 pm

“kind of like tricking your body into believing it is full, when it isnt”
        I take it from the opposite point of view. The problem in obesity is something has tricked your body into ‘thinking’ it’s short on food when it isn’t.

• Picca

January 24, 2014 at 5:59 am

I lost a hundred pounds over three years and some months, and I ate dairy and animal fats as well as olive and peanut oils. What I did NOT eat was carbs. I was amazed not to be hungry all the time. But when I quit eating carbs, I no longer craved them.

I didn’t exercise. Over that time I was living with a pinched femoral nerve, and it didn’t allow me a lot of mobility. Nonetheless, the weight came off, slowly but steadily.

What I did do over that time was test my glucose every time I ate, and I logged everything that passed my lips. Seems too simple to be possible, I suppose, but I did it. I’m not sorry, either 🙂

• LiveFreeOrDiet

January 25, 2014 at 12:16 am

Good for you!
        The studies show exercise, while good for health in other ways, is not particularly helpful for fat loss. I exercised -a lot- during the first few months of my weight loss just because I needed to burn of all the extra energy of eating well over 3500 calories a day and still losing about a half a pound a day. My appetite decreased over time, as did my excess energy.
        I kept a food log too, for the first two years. After that I had worked out what caused problems for me, so no food log for the last 8 years.

• Allison

April 4, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Exercise just exhausts me and makes me need to eat more. I love to walk a lot and get outside, I don’t mind doing a little physical labor around the house, but I never understood runners or people who go to the gym. The endorphins are supposed to make you feel good, but it’s never worked for me. Plus I don’t like all the judgy looks the gym rats give new people.

• LiveFreeOrDiet

April 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I’ve never liked gyms either, mostly because they’re boring and expensive. The only exercise equipment I have are an elliptical and a bicycle. I use the elliptical in the winter. I made a shelf to hold my laptop so I can watch DVDs or listen to music while I’m on it. I like the bicycle during the summer because I make my own breeze and the land around here is very flat.

• The Brigadier

May 8, 2014 at 7:32 pm

American adults get about 30 percent of our daily food intake as fat by weight. if you can limit your carbs to complex carbs and avoid breads, potatoes, bananas and other simple carbs, your body will utilize the excess fats required for our brains and cellular mitosis. The membranes of our brain is 85% fat and it forms the outer membrane of almost every other cell in our body. If you don’t limit your carbs, you’d better limit your fat intake to no more 20% of your daily intake. One or the other. Children require 30% of fat for proper growth regardless of carb intake. They too should be eating complex carbs, lots of protein, and avoiding simple starches..

• Gloverboy6

February 2, 2014 at 5:34 am

I agree, trans fat is bad, but unsaturated fat is good.

• Paul B

March 18, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Within limits. We need unsaturated fats, but not barrels of it like most people eat.

• Paul B

March 18, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Believeme, the vast majority of us have no fat shortage in our diets. No one says that you should not eat any fats–just that we really overdo it a lot.

• Randy

April 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm

But fat people must be eating lots of fat right?
      I recently started a high-fat diet, which basically eliminates all sugars and complex carbs (pasta etc). Aside from feeling satiated longer, I’ve lost a lot of weight.

• LiveFreeOrDiet

April 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I did the same thing starting 10 years ago, though it was by the Atkins Essentials book. (Gary Taubes’ two books shined a lot of light on the science for me when they came out.) I lost more than a third of my body weight and kept it off ever since. I’m amazed at the number of people who think I’m missing important nutrients by not eating white flour and sugar.

• leathersammie

May 10, 2014 at 6:46 pm

The issue with fat is that soceity-at-large is terrified of becoming fat. The popular opinion is that if you eat ANYTHING that contains fat, you will blow up and be a fat person forever. It’s an erroneous opinion and pretty stupid too but it doesn’t stop the uneducated idiots from believing it. The human body actually NEEDS fats and there are many good and healthy fats available. People don’t have to consume gallons of hydrogenated oils and fats because those are horrible fats with no nutritional value but avocados are available as a good fat and they are so good for you!

• Reality Check

May 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Saturated fat as found in meat and dairy is bad and causes cancer and heat disease. People who are obese are at higher risk of all kinds of diseases. The body does need some fat, but not saturated fat. Study about healthy fats as found in plant sources, olive oil, etc. Polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, etc.

• miserableoldfart

May 23, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Sugar is the main culprit, IMHO. The dangers of saturated fat have been grossly overstated. I also believe that the cancer causing agents in things like red meats are environmental toxins that are building up in our systems and have nothing much to do with the fat itself, except that it is a good medium for those toxins to accumulate..

2. Margie

November 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Animal fats, in dairy or meat, are far healthier than the modern concoctions in prepared foods!

• Steven P. Mitchell

February 11, 2014 at 2:38 am

Agreed. It is the molecular reorganization of what we consume from the processing of foods that seems to be at the greatest odds with what our physiologies expect and accompanying lifestyles can support.

3. E71

November 23, 2013 at 12:34 am

Ah, #7… I guess I have my Diet Coke addiction to blame for my chubby sides.

4. fvqe

November 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Soy sauce is ridiculous!
    The Japanese are the healthiest people on earth, other than the poorly educated Chinese, they are the worlds biggest soy consumers.
    Follow gda’s roughly, and burn the same amount of calories as you eat=good health.

• SB

December 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm

“the poorly educated Chinese”

Weird inclusion of a racist comment that did not contribute to the rest of your argument at all.

• martinhoran

December 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

Are you saying that there is no such thing as poorly educated Chinese? All of these countless millions of folk are all well-educated are they? And anyone who thinks different is a racist! Hm. Could it not be that you are just politically brainwashed?
        I went for a job in a college once and happened to ask the two interviewers if they had any foreign students. They looked at each other knowingly and I knew instantly that I was not going to get the job.
        One said, “Surely you mean overseas students”!
        By their idiotic paradigm we ought not to have a Foreign Office but an Overseas Office.
        I wish now I had asked them what is the noun for “overseas people?”
        Would that be “overseasers” or “foreigners”?
        If logic was taught in our schools there would be a lot less of this PC nonsense around and a lot less of the PC thought police stepping on reasonable people’s toes.

• deb_gib

January 14, 2014 at 6:53 am

The term is: International students. You need more education in humanity, marty

• anti pc

January 22, 2014 at 12:59 am

Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks this way.

• Hi 5

January 5, 2014 at 1:20 am

Soy not the problem. SALT.IS .

• Emily winters

January 5, 2014 at 6:42 am

I agree but not with the racisam

• Backbutton

January 10, 2014 at 2:38 am

Soy is a substitute for salt; soy sauce is not bad per se. The “poorly educated Chinese” probably eat healthier than yous seemingly “educated” high falutin peeps as they do not eat as much processed and junk food, or at restaurants, but cheaper natural food, self-cooked.
      There is much to be learned. Look at Americans–go sit in a shopping mall, or other public place and observe–the statistics are supported–obese. That’s because of the typical American diet, and all the processed foods and junk foods–a self-perpetuating system of excess–very educated..

• SmokingReb

January 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Actually I would consider the mall an excellent place to realize that following guidelines put out by NHI and the various disease specific non-profits like American Cancer Society. They pushed transfat as a substitute for animal fat, low fat milk products as healthier than whole milk, eat this not that, stay away from this, eat tons of this, whoops maybe cut back on this……………………..
        Obesity would very likely be cut in half if we all ate like our grandparents did as long as the health professionals place agendas in front of proven, research verified facts. The history of the HRT fiasco is proof of the pudding. Just research it.

5. mookow

November 27, 2013 at 6:01 am

“The ideal sandwich is made with wholemeal bread, healthy salad vegetables, a little margarine, and a light dressing.
    Lean meat is an excellent addition”

Sorry but the ideal sandwich is made with preferably natural brown rice bread, veggies, globs of butter or natural olive oil mayonnaise, what the **** is dressing, and a fat slab of the most lightly cooked, preferably raw, whole fat meat, or chicken containing the fat, but not lean chicken. Ensure there is enough natural unrefined sea salt on everything to give you sufficient sodium and trace minerals.

• Sensei

December 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm

you should be sorry, DO NOT use butter, margarine is much better for you it actually reduces bad cholesterol and increases your good whereas butter increases it(the bad kind) and dressing for the ignorant and naïve can be any thing you like ie(just for you this means for example) French, Italian, ranch, vinegar, even lemon.(there you learnt something today, you’re welcome.

• rose adams sigut

December 17, 2013 at 11:59 am

o I use vegan butter.

• Fish Sweat

January 12, 2014 at 4:23 am

What is “vegan butter”?
        Sounds like an oxymoron like “jumbo shrimp”

• deb_gib

January 14, 2014 at 6:56 am

“Military intelligence”.

• Becky Hamblin

January 3, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Margarine is completely banned in the uk due to transfatty acids. VERY bad for you. Butter is better – natural, just use in moderation.

• Emily winters

January 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

I agree Becky

• jo moise

January 5, 2014 at 2:32 pm

margarine is not banned in the UK, Foul stuff but readily available on every street corner…

• Salster

January 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yes, they’ve just renamed them Utterly Butterly, Clover, I can’t believe it’s not butter etc etc!! Pretty much the same thing as marge – stuffed with the wonderful chemically extracted vegetable oils etc

January 27, 2014 at 6:08 am

Not if you have high chlesterol it isn’!

• Stan Stein

January 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Margarine is made of hydrogenated fat…the worst kind after trans fats. However, monofats, like olive oil, which the good brands are just squeezed, not chemically extracted. Further, the fat on no pesticide grass fed animals is actually good for you, because that’s what were are evolved to eat…as in cavemen…they DID evolve into scientists, doctors, etc. Even further, our brain is made up of about 70% fat….a fat fre diet destroys our brains, by causing lesions and disrupted tissue….a perfect example, is the people before, say, 1900….many societies virtually ate rabbits and squirrls, which HAVE NO FAT as their only protein source….most all of them suffered from mental illnesses thru mild brain damage…..stories like this one today in the news, are almost toally worthless, because they are not researched and written by scientists….read the Paleo Diet….and try it to see how your lbs will drop off, you will feel better, and you will look better, especially your skin and hair…..your belly fat will more easily go away without grains…we don’t have all the enzymes to fully digest them….be sure to eat grass fed animal products….and please, don’t listen the the commercial media regarding your health.

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:04 am

Nonsense. Slip the bread. Bread was made to put meat on it. Instead eat the meat and skip the bread. Meats, veggies and fruits, nuts are what you need. Bread is bad

6. Brandon Pollard

November 27, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I am surprised this article tells you to use margarine and vegetable oil. Better alternatives to those are butter and olive oil. As margarine is made of chemical and vegetable oil is an extracted chemically… butter is made from milk and olive oil is made by squeezing olives. Mind you the process today of making the butter probably isn’t all that healthy to begin with.

• Anna

December 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I didn’t know there is more than one way to make butter. All I know is you ‘agitate’ good cream, heavy cream, until the fat congeals leaving the milk (buttermilk) which is so good, I think, What is the other way? I really would like o know. I’m 80+ years and I am STILL learning. God bless you!

• Brandon Pollard

December 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm

With how butter was made I was meaning the shelf life of it in stores with the preservatives. By doing some research on the topic they just reduce the amount of water that is in the butter to make the shelf life longer. So commercial butter is 15% fattier than if you made it yourself from fresh milk.

• doug

January 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

There are two basic ways to make butter. The majority is made by the “sweet cream” process. Butter all used to be made by first culturing the cream which lead to more flavor and gave us the by product buttermilk. Now buttermilk is made as a stand alone product.

• fatty

February 19, 2014 at 6:11 am

What do you need butter for? You don’t need to put it on veggies and biscuits aren’t good for you anyway. So I don’t know why people even need butter. I can make things like brownies and I cut down the oil required in half and have no problems. I cut butter in ingredients When you crack open a cookbook be ready to add butter, flour and sugar. Cook books are not worth adman. You are better off eating a bowl of fruit instead of a pie, but try to tell that to grandma with the pies all th etime.

• hi-density

January 15, 2014 at 3:21 am

Isn’t it legal to mix and still call it butter, even though it is not.

January 27, 2014 at 6:02 am

And butter has more fat than margerine and there are healthier margerines that have 0 cholesterol.

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:34 am

Nope. Both are fats and fat has 9 calories per gram.

• alykatma

April 28, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I would prefer a more natural fat and not one made in a chemical lab

7. P K

November 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Screw the food police! If I can’t put Kikkoman’s on my lo mein then I’ll grab a big spoon and scoop some frosting and enjoy that. If you can’t live a little, then you’ll be miserable a lot.

• M.S.

December 5, 2013 at 12:33 am

Coconut Oil is the best of all. We use it for cooking, putting on our bread or toast in place of butter, use it in recipes that call for any type of oil, for baking instead of lard/shortening, melt a small amount and mix it in with dry dog food and they love it. It is a very healthy food product……………

• mplo

April 19, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Avocado oil is also quite good for you, as well. I use it in cooking a great deal.

• spookiewon

December 6, 2013 at 2:35 am

Hear, hear!

8. LolaS

November 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Use a sweet, red wine to sweeten your tomato sauce.

9. Badass

December 2, 2013 at 1:56 am

Avoiding these will just make life boring. Especially cake and pie

• Salster

January 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Just make your own without the trans fats – simple!

January 27, 2014 at 6:23 am

How? I have tried to make my own pie crusts with a good oil instead of lard shortening,and it always turns out terrible like Matza.

January 27, 2014 at 6:29 am

How? I have made homemade pie crust using water with a healthy oil instead of fattening high cholesterol shortening,and it always turns out terrible like matzah!

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:33 am

Actually, vegetable shortening has no cholesterol in it. It is, however, partially-hydrogenated, which is just as bad as trans fats. Oil, lard, shortening, and butter all have 9 calories per gram, so they’re equally “fattening” – but if you want your pie crust to be worth eating use butter or shortening. And make it in a food processor. I cube my butter and freeze it, then add it to the flour a bit at the time until it looks like wet sand, then I let the blade spin while I dribble in water just until it forms into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap, chill for at least half an hour, then roll it out and use it however your recipe requires it.

You’re welcome.

January 27, 2014 at 6:21 am

That is why there are so many obese people in the world,they aren’t smart to keep eating a lot of these fatty high calorie foods because they aren’t going to live very long if they do,but on the other hand they are smart enough to know that these foods do taste the best.If you lower the fat and calories you lower the great taste and texture too.

My father has said that when you go to restaurants they don’t have low-fat low calorie foods because they nobody likes them,and he told me that my stepmother used to make the same low fat low calorie foods for their dinner guests as she and my father make or eat out, and none of their guests liked the food so he told her to stop making it that way for their dinner company.

10. Dr. JR

December 4, 2013 at 1:54 am

Margarine?! Baloney. Margarine = transfats. B.A.D. Better to use butter or even better yet, naturally raised lard. Or even better yet – olive oil, if you really want omega 3’s instead of Transfats. Transfate – heart attack. The rest I agree with. Not margarine.

• rjobiz

December 31, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Lard and baloney sandwich. Yummmmmm……

• mikinzla

March 4, 2014 at 10:25 pm

lots and lots of lard, butter and bacon grease…..umumum on white bread and wached down with a gallon of coke. just like here in Texas. then, a big fat cigarette to celebrate

• Carol Lucier

May 23, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Reminds me of my dad, during the Depression, his favorite after school snack was two slices of while bread spread with lard or bacon grease and piled up with thinly sliced onions, with a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Onion sammies.

11. Dr. JR

December 4, 2013 at 2:26 am

Sodium and hypertension! Don’t get me started. Talk about mass hysteria – the truth: Of people with hypertension (high blood pressure), only 15% are sodium sensitive, as we’ve known for years. But 85% of hypertensives are NOT sensitive to sodium, therefore the hype. Salt is fine if your blood pressure is not sensitive to it. Period.

• mruhuruuru

January 25, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Interesting. I’ve had hypertension for years and take meds for it. My GP has never talked about restricting salt. He knows I eat a somewhat healthy diet, lots of fruits and veg and not a lot of processed stuff. Salt has never come up.

• Nick

February 8, 2014 at 7:23 pm

AMEN!!!!

• Scoreggia Culone

February 13, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I studied nutrition and while there is a link between salt and people ALREADY WITH HYPERTENSION making their condition worse, there is no link between salt intake causing hypertension.

12. Dianne

December 4, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Interesting that this is a list of foods we should avoid, yet they say to put margarine on your sandwich. Margarine is definitely not good for you! I guess this list is not about what foods are toxic and more about avoiding calories… As others have said, butter is far better for you than margarine. And of course that means, in moderation.

January 27, 2014 at 6:11 am

Butter has more fat and has a good amount of cholesterol.

13. rastameaning

December 5, 2013 at 1:11 am

JUST EAT UNDERSTAND YOUR WEIGHT I WOULD SAY THAT FROM BEING OVER WEIGHT TO BACK TO NORMAL X

14. Kren

December 5, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Don’t eat coleslaw? Good coleslaw does not have to be overloaded with mayo…besides, they call it REAL mayonnaise for a reason. The sugar in it is worse for you than the mayo.

15. JBBlackett

December 6, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Margie wrote : “Fat has been demonized by the … trans-fat industries”.
    A recent reply has been published by Global Trans-Fat Industries. It states ‘Sorry for any perceived insults. Our aim was not to cause any offence whatsoever to any fat eater. We apologize profusely and ask for forgiveness”.
    Instead Let us all unite and together verbally , viciously and meaninglessly attack the chewing gum industries

16. Busty Laroo

December 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Even easier for home-made chilli and pasta sauce, add some no-salt-added crushed and diced canned tomatoes 🙂 Just be sure there’s nothing extra in em!

17. Mr Sweet

December 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm

No mention of GMO ingredients at all. Now, that’s poison!

18. jon

December 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I think it’s worth noting that “Lite Soy Sauce” (with the green cap) is the kind used traditionally, but the “full flavored” (red cap) soy sauce has had so much salt added to it that you can’t even taste the soy. Yay for Americanized foods

• BrooklynChef

January 6, 2014 at 1:01 am

The salt isn’t added. It’s a naturally occurring byproduct of the fermentation process.

19. glucosejunkie

December 10, 2013 at 3:06 pm

wrong, sugar is a nutrient, our bodies turn everything we eat into glucose aka cell fuel, it’s the fucking fat that slows down your blood, making sugar get a bad rap.

20. David Ryan

December 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

you know that there is vinegar based coleslaw… right?

• RobPilates

January 1, 2014 at 7:17 am

Thank for this- yes indeed. I make my cole slaw with shredded cabbage, carrot and sometimes jicama or apple and do a quick pickle with heated to almost boiling vinegar with s&p and a splash of olive oil.

• Snead Hearn

February 15, 2014 at 6:52 pm

and shake some pepper on it..

21. Iamme

December 14, 2013 at 12:25 am

Good fats are important to us. Make sure it is cold press if possible. We need fats . The only thing is we need everything in moderation. A good balance is important. We just have to find what is a good balance for ourselves. Baring in mind everyone is slightly different. Do not take artificial sugar but take less sugar , do not take low fat but eat good fat in moderation. Good fats are cold press Coconut oil, Palm oil and normal virgin oil all in moderation. Do research.

22. Iamme

December 14, 2013 at 12:54 am

Fat is very important to our body. But in moderation. Everyone is different so we have to find the balance for ourselves. To me all natural fats are good , I believe Good fats are cold pressed coconut oil ,cold press red palm oil, cold press olive oil. and even animal fats.
    Make sure the shelf life is stable and if cooking make sure it doesn’t destroy it’s nutrients. (olive oil must not be cooked if possible ) .

January 27, 2014 at 6:41 am

I cook with olive oil and or cooking spray.What is wrong with cooking with olive oil?

23. Andre Da Costa

December 15, 2013 at 12:09 am

You simply need to have these things in moderation in addition to exercise and just being active. If you are a coach potato or in a sedentary job and eating these things day in day out, then of course its gonna be bad for you.

24. Gromit

December 15, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Refined grains do not “lack nutritional value”. They are just as good a source of carbohydrate as the unrefined version. What they lack is the fibrous husk around the seed, which is good for bowel health.

25. Hey, one way to lose calories

December 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Celery is good for burning calories so just have some of that if you want a snack, it might not taste nice but it is good for you.

January 27, 2014 at 6:39 am

Most foods that are good for us don’t taste good!

26. Derek

December 17, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I say eat what you want, don`t let anyone tell you, what you can eat what you can`t eat It`s your life, what do they know anyway, It`s them who are putting the rubbish in our food anyway. what`s wrong with fish & chips, Jesus ate fish and spuds are good for you anyway, If you like it EAT IT!

• Marty

January 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Your low life goverments tell you what you CANNOT have. Look at the federal jerks and then look at New York. The federal jerks can’t protect our borders as they do in Korea, but they can outlaw transfats. What a joke we all are for putting up with this.

• Dispatch66

January 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thats because the PEOPLE have common sense and the government has POLITICAL CORRECTNESS which is anything but.

• Salster

January 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Actually spuds aren’t good for people with A blood types, also for those with certain types of arthritis as it can severely exacerbate the problem/pain (ask me how I know that):)

• deb_gib

January 14, 2014 at 7:03 am

Potatoes are very high in carbs (which convert to sugar in the human body), too high for a lot of people. Fish by and large are healthy eating. The preparation of the fish determines if the fish is _actually _ healthy to eat. Add breading , salt, fat, etc to any fish and the healthy benefits are diminished by the unhealthy additions.
      Some of you people have no clue why things are healthy or unhealthy. Good luck.

• David Noah

May 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

Farm raised fish is good for you? News to me.

27. sllim

December 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm

As a diabetic, I have used sweetener and buy diet drinks a lot of the time but as for sugar, the reason it makes you put on weight is because it is fast acting and if you don’t burn the calories within an hour or so it then gets stored. Half your daily calories could be sugar but if you had a little bit at a time it wouldn’t affect your weight. You probably wouldn’t be to good missing out on your vitamins etc and I don’t recommend doing it but

28. circe801

December 27, 2013 at 10:08 pm

i find it funny that a “healthy” sandwich is suggested above to contain “a little margarine” as ALL margarine contains hydrogenated oils and/or any other number of saturated fats…

29. Anne Beverley Brewitt

January 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm

What about pumpkin seed bread, is that bad for you too.

30. Aaron Holmgren

January 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Homemade mayonnaise is extremely nutritious. There are many important vitamins in fats.

31. Aaron Holmgren

January 3, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Avoiding canned tomato sauce is great advice. Canned tomato sauce is also high in deadly methanol (wood alcohol).

32. BewilderedByOurFoodCulture

January 8, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Why doesn’t anyone talk about all the toxic chemicals that end up in highly processed foods? Pesticides are used as preservatives in baked goods. Numerous man made and highly toxic chemicals are used as “flavor enhancers”. Ammonia is called carmel color so people wont freak out about consuming it. Why aren’t any of those things on the list of 7 foods you should avoid at all costs?

33. Steve

January 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Use greek yogurt with salt instead of mayo. Or use a half and half combo.

34. UmmNope

January 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Some of these recommendations seem a little out of date. Recommending Margarine is clearly no longer a popular option. Trans fats are worse than saturated fats.

January 27, 2014 at 6:14 am

Fleischman’s unsalted stick margerine has 70% less saturated fat and 100% less cholesterol per serving than butter!

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:18 am

If it stays at least partially solid at room temperature it’s hydrogenated and therefore AT LEAST as bad for you as saturated fat.

35. UmmNope

January 10, 2014 at 7:37 pm

“At all cost” also seems a bit hyperbolic. Things you should avoid ingesting at all cost… lead and other heavy metals. Chlorine bleach and other corrosive chemicals.

36. Fish Sweat

January 12, 2014 at 4:13 am

Transfats makes everything taste good. Doughnuts, fries, pastries, cakes, all tasted better before the nanny state ninnies took toke away. Love a goodly marbled piece of rib-eye steak with a side of transfat cooked fries. Yum!

January 27, 2014 at 6:45 am

You too must have a fast metabolism if you eat like this a lot and aren’t over weight or obese,and or no high cholesterol .

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:16 am

Randie, I’m sure you’re a barrel of laughs at parties.

• Snead Hearn

February 15, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Fast food fries don’t taste as good as they once did.

37. El-Sid

January 16, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’m a VAGaterian. What I eat has no calories, no trans-fats, no carbs and it is all natural. The best thing is no matter how much I eat there are always leftovers.

38. Carrie

January 18, 2014 at 10:32 pm

thats funny….I lost my job and was very low on cash, I started eating coleslaw and other cheap means of food. I lost twenty pounds in a month. I mainely ate store bought coleslaw already bagged, with a store brand coleslaw dressing. And would treat myself to a Wendys Jr.Cheeseburger every other day off the dollar menu.
    So any food is bad for you if you eat too much.
    And you can lose weight eating any type of food, just not alot of it.

January 27, 2014 at 6:35 am

Yes, if your metabolism is fast,when I was in my childhood,teens and 20’s I ate like 2 horses,tons of fattening sweet stuff,and did no excercise and I was thin anyway,and that all changed and when I was 34 I was overweight and had to go on a diet for the first time in my life.My former family doctor and endocrinologist both said,and so did non medical people that my metabolism slowed dow.And the family doctor said most people’s metabolism slows down as they age and she said she had countless patients who were always thin when they were younger and their metabolism slowed down and now they were overweight.

39. Ginny Murrell

January 22, 2014 at 2:20 am

love coleslaw, but only eat it maybe twice a year. Fourth of July and another time in Summer. Big deal. How about eating in moderation? We might not be so fatttttttt.

40. Colleen Mitchell

January 22, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Why single out frosting as being so very bad? Candy, soda, pop tarts, why no mention them? Frosting contains sugar and there are so many more foods that are PURE sugar that are far worse!

41. travell

January 23, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I like my baloney on white bread with american cheese and a slather of mayo.

January 27, 2014 at 6:43 am

You must have a fast metabolism and or no high cholesterol problems now,but this could all change.

42. leslie borean

January 23, 2014 at 9:05 pm

But if you eat only the boring “healthful” foods, life is less fun and so why would you want to live longer? Eat food that tastes good. You won’t live as long but you will enjoy what you do live

• W R

January 30, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Problem with your statement is that eating tasty foods isn’t true “fun.” Being in great shape and being able to DO more and better things (because you’re in great shape) is more genuine and longer lasting “fun.”

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:14 am

Live a little, eat a cookie. I like my salmon and steamed broccoli, sure, but every now and then I like a cookie, too. Or a cupcake.

• scooteral

February 9, 2014 at 12:30 am

It might just seem longer.

43. Vin Smith

January 25, 2014 at 12:39 am

I really enjoy these healthful tidbits. I have known so many
    people–fine people–often vegetarians, who ate “healthfully” and passed
    away young. Some, while alive, were so enfeebled that they had to hang
    onto tables, or balance themselves against the wall, because they were
    lacking so many nutritive factors in their diets–like B complex
    vitamins. The reason I like these printed tidbits (like your coleslaw
    will strike you dead) is because these wonderful friends died so young.
    They are not around to help guide me!

44. I like food

January 25, 2014 at 12:41 am

Life is not fun anymore. Why don’t we just eat grass?

• Deborah Hale

March 30, 2014 at 12:11 am

Thank you! I’m of the opinion that if you only eat healthy stuff and never splurge on the occasional cookie or cupcake, you’re not going to live any longer – it’s just going to FEEL that way. Life is for living!

45. Tyrone Mahem

January 25, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Try slaw made with oil and lemon juice.

• JPG

April 12, 2014 at 10:34 am

This really worth a try.

46. jennyct

January 27, 2014 at 12:12 am

If you eat coleslaw and/or refined sugar, it should be acceptable if you stay within daily recommended parameters (20-30% fat/ carb limitations, etc). Life is not all that simplistic.

47. boboadobo

January 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm

genetics are 99.9% of your long term outlook…not eating coleslaw is silly. unless like me you think it tastes yucky.

48. Louchious209209209

January 31, 2014 at 11:22 am

Healthy fats are ok, like that found in avacados. You can pretty much eat whatever you want, just burn it off with tough work outs. Drink plenty of water and an ensure a day. Take daily vitamins.

49. BigBoa

February 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

So much for the mighty Boa’s plan to eat cole slaw with every meal, eh?

50. andee007

February 12, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Yet diabetics use so much artificial sweetener. They arae already at a high risk for kidney damage and hypertension.