5 Foods You Should Never Eat Again

476246441

When you are trying to improve your health and lose weight, there are certain foods that you should avoid.

Many of these foods are obviously unhealthy because they contain ingredients that are known to cause weight gain.

However, some other foods which are not so obviously linked to weight gain can nevertheless turn out to be just as bad for you.

These foods are deeply problematic, because most people do not know to avoid them and therefore end up consuming them much more often than they should. Here are 5 foods that you should never eat again:

1. White Bread

White bread is a staple in most pantries, but the truth is that it doesn’t have any nutritional value. White bread contains a lot of sugar and it doesn’t have the ability to keep you satisfied, so within a few hours you are likely to find yourself feeling hungry and reaching for snacks.

As a result of these factors, it is unsurprising that research on those who eat white bread shows a correlation between eating larger quantities of white bread and being more likely to gain unwanted weight over a period of 12 years. As it turns out, even breads that claim to be wheat could contain more sugar than grain and should often be avoided.

Ideally, you should replace your white bread with whole grain or whole wheat bread whenever possible, as whole wheat bread is positively good for your health.

Bake your own bread – Order Breadmaker now

For example, it is a source of gamma-oryzanol, which lowers cholesterol levels if consumed on a regular basis, and some studies even suggest that women who eat the largest amount of whole grains are around 40% less likely to develop breast cancer (when compared to women who eat the smallest amount of whole grains).

In addition, don’t forget that you can also substitute white bread on your sandwiches with lettuce leaves or whole grain tortillas.

260 Comments

1. Alan8

December 6, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Not just white bread: Whole wheat bread ALSO contains amylopectin, which causes an unhealthy spike in your blood sugar.

The spikes in blood sugar damage your body through a process called non-enzymatic glycation, an aspect of the aging process. They also cause corresponding spikes in insulin, which converts the sugar into fat, and increases your risk of diabetes.

It was a shock to me when I learned this; I had always thought of whole wheat bread as “healthy”.

2. salientfilm

December 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

eat in moderation and work out once in a while. done. saved you all that extra text.

3. ruth

December 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm

wheat can be bad for you too, esp. as one reaches middle age

4. RiverRat

December 12, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Dark bread can be just as bad as white, in other ways.

5. Guest

December 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

God “give up’ What happened to moderation. French fries? really give up french fries? NEVER.

6. Anon

December 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm

With high Fructose Corn Syrup there is twice as many calories in any soda water containing this ingredient. Sugar although bad for you isn’t nearly as bad as HFCS. It’s gross to think what these cola companies force you to drink if you like their products. Whats worse is they both have different flavors, but any soda maker will try to say they can not taste the difference. I sure as hell can!

7. Lorna K Bergin

December 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm

People who think they are healthy because they eat the foods above and do enough exercise to not be overweight are sadly mistaken, ever hear of visceral fat people. Or what about not getting enough of certain vitamins and minerals inside you. The word diet should be replaced with something more along the lines of ‘Healthy Living’ or ‘Healthy Lifestyle’

8. rachiti

December 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

Whoever writes these articles assumed everyone eats all of their meals from a box or fast food restaurant. When I make fried chicken from basic ingredients – I only use the oil twice before it is binned. The cost of replacing the oil keeps me from having it more than a couple of times every few months. And who eats 10 chicken thighs at once? If I have two with veg plus sweet potato I’m very full. As for bread – whole wheat bread is loaded with sugar as well…if you buy it off the shelf. If you make it at home, even white bread can have little sugar in it. My recipe only uses 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1/3 cup milk , and 1 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp honey to nearly 4 cups flour. Sure butter isn’t great for you…but neither are all those artificial butter substitutes and oils either.

9. Scorpion

December 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hmm so don’t eat white bread or rice. Two food substances that have been nourishing humans for thousands of years. Oh and don’t eat fried food???? Who knew?!

10. SPINMASTER

December 23, 2013 at 3:16 pm

LOOKAHERE….6 yrs ago I was 310 pds. I had played ball in college and never got above 210. But here I was, a bonafide..fat boy at 6’1”. Today I am 186 and have kept it off for 5 yrs. At 55, I exercise 4 to 5 days a wk for an hr or more each time. I feel like King Kong and..My wife says I look better than before she married me!!!!!!!!!You can eat whatever you want, Just not everyday and not in enormous amounts. I inverted my meal order. Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day. I do stay away from White products though. My breads are 100% whole wheat or whole grained. And no more than a couple slices daily. I eat French fries. But not every week. I’ll have a piece of cake and some ice cream. The key is knowing how to..hit and quit it!! Portion control. I keep a large bowl of fresh fruit on my kitchen table, drink plenty of water and tea. Green tea, suppresses the appetite. Eat more fresh veggies, bake your chicken and fish. And Exercise. It does not take that much. Start with a 20 min walk. Then move up. Buy yourself a stationary bike and flop it right in front of your TV. You can pedal and watch your Fav tv program. And Weight trng? Don’t believe the hype. Buy yourself some resistance bands and get a free program on how to use them from the internet. a couple of 3 to to 10 pd weights is all you need for some simple exercises.Pamper yourselves. Get massages to keep down muscle pain and think about getting a new bath tub. One with those massaging waterjets. It make a world of difference when you start exercising!! You will find getting your weight down not only lets you feel better, you will visit the doctors office less often and a lot of those aches and pains will become minimal. Its not hard..But you gotta get..your head right!!And more importantly, Don’t tell yourself its a diet. Its a lifestyle change..for good.

• [email protected]

January 23, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Good for you! I would also add that most people don’t know that they are probably getting 1/2 their calories from what the DRINK! (i.e. shakes, specialized coffees, alcohol, sodas, store bought fruit juice) Learn to drink water. put in a few drops of lemon or lime, tastes great.

11. J.J. Vrooman

December 24, 2013 at 1:34 am

I think rice is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just dont like the color white.Why cant they just make rice red or blue or anything?

12. T.B.F

December 26, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Sugar in white bread? You are obviously referring to raisin bread as I have been baking for many years and have never yet used sugar in plain white bread, maybe you should clarify what it means.

• Proud2bfromtheUSA

January 1, 2014 at 4:43 pm

T.B.F. white bread is the highest form of bread in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are sugars that the body stores as fats and are actually what causes you to gain fat when you eat more of them than your body can use.

13. sailordude

December 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm

this list is pretty judgmental. People are living longer whats the point?

14. DNealWin

January 8, 2014 at 12:46 am

Studies have shown that deep fried foods, if done at the correct temperature, are not as greasy as thought. Watch Alton Brown’s episode on Good Eats, found on youtube, on deep frying, and he will explain better than I can.

15. Marlene

January 8, 2014 at 7:04 pm

It’s important to have a balanced diet, but that doesn’t mean we can’t eat a sweet or a more caloric food. My friends speak about weight all the time, complaining and dreaming with the perfect body… but to tell you truth, they are ok, they are not obese and they are healthy. To have a couple of pounds more that we should doesn’t mean we are fat or in risk. I know slim people with high cholesterol or slim people that would never touch a sweet with the fear of putting on weight.I know slim people that is very ill… Moderation yes, I agree, but we have to be careful to not be influenced by the media about what is the right and the wrong.

16. Linda Lovelush

January 9, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I just had white rice for lunch today. No fat, no sugar, no hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, no chemical additives, no preservatives…. just a straight, honest grain that is a staple food for billions of people in several different cultures. I’d rather eat a bowl of steamed rice than even a fast food salad.

I’m *so* sick to death of rice and potatoes getting beaten down by all these “white-o-phobes” (people against white foods) everywhere you look. As for white bread, no it’s not the best type of bread you can eat, but as long as you’re not eating 2 or 3 loaves a day, stop worrying about it. And to the people who write these articles, stop trying to scare the crap out of everyone and stop telling them to discontinue eating their favorite foods. I get that you’re trying to help people live healthier lifestyles, but by saying NEVER EVER EAT THIS AGAIN AS LONG AS YOU LIVE, it’s just… well… unrealistic. Leave us alone. We’ll eat what we want. If it kills us, it kills us. But if food doesn’t kill us, something else surely will.

As for fried foods, I still eat them, just not all the time. And as for frying food at home, I do it often. I just pan-fry in oils that are higher in monounsaturated fats. And I’m a big girl now, I think I’m perfectly capable of deciding what to eat and how much.

One word: moderation.

Note: whole wheat bread and brown rice are disgusting. Those are MY foods I never eat.

17. mikeatle

January 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Okay, so HFCS is probably a no-no, but I’m not giving up the rest of those foods. It’s called moderation! None of us is living forever. The most ardent health food devotees of the 19th century are all dead now.

18. Alisia

January 15, 2014 at 12:42 am

I eat rice at least once a day..i dont think im fat

19. dollahdave

January 15, 2014 at 6:06 am

I like the fatty that orders 3-40 pc. Mcnuggets,2 lg fries and a DIET coke! LOL

20. 13thGenPatriot

January 17, 2014 at 10:36 pm

How is frying a piece of chicken in a pan more unhealthy than broiling that same piece of chicken or baking it? (assuming the meat is thoroughly cooked by all methods) How about a wok? How does the caloric and nutritional value become suddenly “unhealthy” because it is fried? Spray some Pam on the pan…fry up the food. Tada!

21. Hans

January 18, 2014 at 4:32 pm

TLDR: don’t eat anything that tastes good

22. tofu

January 22, 2014 at 1:43 am

I have eaten white rice my entire life, three times a day, and i am doing okay.

• Freeway1

January 22, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I can’t let go of white rice or bread. I just can’t.

23. Puma

January 22, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Don’t you ever say an unkind word about a donut again! Especially if said donut is the glorious maple bacon donut!!

24. John

January 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

That picture you click on is not showing an overweight female.
    That was skin and she does not need to loose weight.

25. [email protected]

January 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm

warning to those over 40: whole grain wheat products can become harder to digest…white may actually be milder for you…talk to your doctors!

26. Morris65

January 24, 2014 at 11:57 am

You can eat fried foods guilt free if you simply fry them in vegetable spray. It contains 0 fat and 0 calories but it gives food that “comfort” (i.e. greasy) taste…especially if you use flavored sprays like butter or olive oil. I buy mine at mega-retailers or dollar stores as it tastes as good as popular name brands and costs 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Also, cut a potato into fries, place on foil and spray most liberally. Add spices to taste, bake for 30 minutes, and you’ll be most pleasantly surprised. While not quite as good as fries from a deep fryer, it comes quite close. Add to that the fact that you’re eliminating the guilt, I’d venture to say that it tastes better!

27. Heidi Joy

January 25, 2014 at 3:19 am

sigh. Fried foods are not bad. The calories are not found in the oil because frying is a drying cooking method. If the oil is at the correct temperature, the food won’t be greasy because the oil forms a little heat pocket around the food to cook it. So oil shouldn’t be absorbed at all. The calories are found in the breading and cheese and sauces and other things that often wind up being fried. But, if the food is PROPERLY fried then it’s no different than baking it. I’m so tired of people believing this. It’s like the people who still refuse to eat egg yolks because they are high in cholesteral. Yes, but the amound of B vitamins in an entire egg is cancels out the cholesterol in your system. It’s a perfectly balanced food that so many people are refusing to eat because of stupid diet myths.

Source: certified chef and culinary instructor, and nutritionalist

• Rys

May 22, 2014 at 8:40 am

I’d just made a comment about how fried foods, when done right at the right temps, aren’t that bad at all. It’s about the water in the food being turned to steam and then pushing out as the oil pushes in, and in the end it cooks in the high heat while the escaping vapor keeps it from getting saturated in oil. So yes, fried foods get a bad rap because they’re not made properly. Kudos to you!

28. pinkfreud62 .

January 25, 2014 at 9:24 pm

What a crock. I live on carbs: breads, fried food, sweets…and my “numbers” are all excellent.

29. Karen

January 26, 2014 at 1:56 am

I like this article. Although it would seem common sense, consumers trying to lose weight continue to buy it. Myself included.. we buy it because its just plain tastes good and in the end that’s it. My goal with it is moderation. That works for me!

30. CC

January 28, 2014 at 7:22 pm

you mean what about 80% of Americans eat LOL good luck

31. bottlesflying

January 30, 2014 at 4:00 am

Fried foods are fine as long as you use olive oil or some other healthy oil.

32. The dude

January 30, 2014 at 9:50 pm

White rice? Really? Why do asian countries have the lowest rate of heart disease/failure…. Look at japan, white rice is a must have for nearly half of all their dishes and yet they have a very high percentage of healthy people.

• alicia

April 9, 2014 at 4:16 pm

That’s exactly what I was going to say. I agree with the rest of the foods listed but white rice, come on!

• Erin

April 17, 2014 at 9:28 pm

FYI, asians eat variety of rice, brown rice and multi grain rice are also on the menu, in addition to noodles, soba, and buns occasionally, white rice is bad for people who have digestion problem and even seniors. No one eats white rice everyday and most Asians don’t eat fries and burgers.

• MontTwpRes

April 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

chinese eat white rice every day

33. JK

February 5, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I was hoping brussel sprouts would be listed.

34. Violet Paran

February 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm

If you want really to make a diet your self dont eat too much..make it balance and maintain exercise. Tomato,cucumber,green leafy vegetable are good for our body. I maintain my body figure. 35 25 36 just i maitain my fitness cereal every morning with milk. For lunch just i eat more Green Salad, and soup.

35. Tyler

February 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Its called moderation.

• captainhurt

May 24, 2014 at 7:54 pm

i subscribe to extremism: do a LOT of things good for you and RARELY was is not good for you. how bout that? moderation? pffft

36. Peter M.

February 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Frying foods in an open pan is not necessarily bad. It depends how much oil is used. If very little is used then frying foods is no worse than baking. In fact sautéing foods is very healthy since you can more easily control how cooked food is. The cooked the better for vegetables anyways.

37. Maria

February 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Problem is alot of these items are hidden in other foods

38. Joan C Fohr

February 22, 2014 at 12:45 am

Just shoot me
    love them all.

39. Whitey

March 3, 2014 at 12:31 am

Sneaky trick to lose weight – stop eating like a glutton…

40. James Simpson

March 7, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Counting claories is necessary. Fat however is not equal. Fat Free dressings are fat free either naturally or it becomes like skim milk where the skim milk is less healthy that whole bc its missing ingredients needed to process and absorb nutrients like calcium. I don’t know where you got your degree in Nutrition but Fat free ranch? Read those ingredients and tell me its actually healthier. You have many points here but the fact that you shy’d away from Corn syrup and diet soda conversations means you are too worried about a backlash from some corporation like Monsanto, Coke, Pepsi to tell the complete truth. I came off soda alone and loss 60 lbs. Corn Syrup is not the same as even processed white cane sugar. Note all mexican sodas sold in mexican food isle Kroger for example and yes even the glass Cokes in that isle have cane sugar not corn syrup. they usually are only 12oz enjoy one its not like having a big gulp at the seven eleven and I just drink hot coffee and tea and enjoy being heathier. Fried foods are are a given but not the devil just limit consumption. Fries especially. Rasins are not healthy as they typically contain large amounts of pesticides in that litle compact nugget. Unless you are drying your own stay away from cereals that contain processed fruits just as much as the sugar cereals. but as I have noticed replace your dinner with a bowel of cereal have a full lunch but enjoy a healthy big bowl at dinner you will loose weight. Been there done this too. Being healthy is great but eating right with no activity is futile. Get active and drive to become a little more active each day as you do you will need a higher caloric intake then when you splurge you can do so guiltless.

• Sharon Kay Mikesell

March 18, 2014 at 6:48 pm

My mind set is “Eat to live, not live to eat”! It’s working so far. I’ve gone from 293 lbs. to 244.5 lbs. in 8 months. Still have @ least 50 -60 to go. Then I’ll decide my goals from there!
      Also, I don’t fry anything any more! I add enough oil to baking sheet to keep foods from sticking & bake away. Usually it just takes a swipe w/a paper towel & spread oil around or spray it lightly w/spray of choice. Grilling or smoking is another way to keep away from the oils!
      Eat healthy w/loads of veggies & fruits incorporated into your meals.

41. Heinrich Geisenberger

April 7, 2014 at 2:42 am

Ah man what about my late night peanut butter and jelly sandwich and glass of milk. Sure helps me the next day pumping up at the gym!!!

42. Steven H

April 10, 2014 at 5:34 pm

This felt more like an infomercial for Kraft Low Fat Dressing. These are most likely the same people who pushed aspartame as a healthy alternative to sugar, and margarine in place of butter. We now know how bad these substances are. I’m betting the future will find similar long term results for the chemicals in fat free foods.

43. Bubba Fett, Seymour-Baus Inc.

April 21, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Wheat bread isn’t much healthier for you than white bread. In fact, if you are eating it for fiber, you are wasting your time and need to be eating green leafy vegetables instead.

44. zem2012(Mr.Amwoma)

April 22, 2014 at 5:22 am

Some picures of the foods are meant to irritate viewers. This is uancceptable.

45. arianaariana

April 29, 2014 at 12:03 am

cough cough i know it already!!!!! i mean thanks for this horrible notion

46. arianaariana

April 29, 2014 at 12:05 am

play moviestarplanet its fun

47. I am the king

May 1, 2014 at 3:56 am

scared me for a second. i thought bacon, french fries, and snails were on the list…

48. Kd

May 7, 2014 at 1:11 am

White rice? Then why are Asians so fricken skinny?

• E.L.

May 9, 2014 at 1:36 am

Because they walk a lot. A lot of people don’t drive. And they don’t have as many junk foods as Americans, but they are catching up. 🙁

49. Jay Turberville

May 8, 2014 at 12:01 am

White bread “doesn’t have any nutritional value!” There’s your big clue that this series of don’ts was written from bias and/or ignorance. Of course the first clue was the title. There are few “nevers” in sound nutritional advice. This is just more hype, skewed information and exaggeration.

50. Raj2

May 8, 2014 at 5:56 am

Brown rice is NOT full of fiber as this article suggests. It has more fiber than White rice, which has pretty much none. White rice eaten in moderation along with veggies for fiber is not bad either.